By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - RUMOR: Halo 5 sold 1.4-1.5 Million in US

Insidb said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Never heard digital sales mentioned so much in a thread.

When we do sales for other games, make sure we stay consistent and keep digital in mind.

I think it's perfectly relavant, but very few people attempt to qualify the numbers they use. 

When the numbers are baseless, they almost always are rooted in some sort of fanboyism.

I agree. Digital is relevant and will only get more and more relevant in future.

Around the Network
Insidb said:
SWORDF1SH said:

Never heard digital sales mentioned so much in a thread.

When we do sales for other games, make sure we stay consistent and keep digital in mind.

I think it's perfectly relavant, but very few people attempt to qualify the numbers they use. 

When the numbers are baseless, they almost always are rooted in some sort of fanboyism.

Which is why I prefer to utilize a range rather than an a single number. It eliminates most of the bias and it gives us a good idea of how well a game could have performed.

Aura7541 said:
Snoopy said:

I agree that the seres is doing fine, but it is also experiencing a not-so-negligible decline. Also, the userbase argument doesn't really work since Halo 3 also had a similar debut and the 360's userbase was even smaller (especially, when you take into account the RROD).

You're also repeating the same things you have said before. I already pointed out that Halo 5 is facing competition from Black Ops 3 and Battlefront. Abdiel has pointed out that Halo 5 vanished when BO3 launched and Battlefront is getting a lot of hype leading up to its launch on November 17. Halo 5 may have legs, but they might not start churning until after November when the hype around Battlefront will have settled down.

Snoopy said:

Is that why COD, Madden, Fifa,BF and more games sold well on ps3, but not GT6 lol.

Nice non sequitor. GT6's sales likely resulted from circumstance rather than decline, which was my main point.

No shit Halo 3 did better than the other games in the series, it had no competition. Now Halo is going up against a lot of strong competition. If Sony or Microsoft was the only consoles available then they will get more sales indvidually because lack of choice just like video games. Halo 5 regardless is still the biggest exclusive franchise and one of the biggest fps that didn't even really recieve any drop from Halo 4 sales. If anything it recieved more when you go by software attach ratio and how much was sold. Either way, Halo is doing fine and selling great and Microsoft is always expanding the universe. 

Snoopy said:

No shit Halo 3 did better than the other games in the series, it had no competition. Now Halo is going up against a lot of strong competition. If Sony or Microsoft was the only consoles available then they will get more sales indvidually because lack of choice. Halo 5 regardless is still the biggest exclusive franchise and one of the biggest fps that didn't even really recieve any drop from Halo 4 sales. If anything it recieved more when you go by software attach ratio and how much was sold. Either way, Halo is doing fine and selling great and Microsoft is always expanding the universe. 

Citation. Needed.

Seriously, stop basing your claims on repetitive insistence.

Aura7541 said:
Snoopy said:

No shit Halo 3 did better than the other games in the series, it had no competition. Now Halo is going up against a lot of strong competition. If Sony or Microsoft was the only consoles available then they will get more sales indvidually because lack of choice. Halo 5 regardless is still the biggest exclusive franchise and one of the biggest fps that didn't even really recieve any drop from Halo 4 sales. If anything it recieved more when you go by software attach ratio and how much was sold. Either way, Halo is doing fine and selling great and Microsoft is always expanding the universe. 

Citation. Needed.

Seriously, stop basing your claims on repetitive insistence.

The sales from OP that we are going by said about 1.5 million in the US in about half a week.  It will be over 2 million not including digital and worldwide sales. Halo 4 sold 3.8 million in it's first week world wide. All it needs to do pretty much is gather 1.8 million from worldwide (outside of U.S.) sales and digital. That isn't a whole lot and again, my next sentence clearly talked about software attach ratio. Halo 4 had the luxry releasing on a console with around 80 million sales while Halo 5 came out around when Xbox One sold about 15 - 18 million. Reality is Halo 5 is doing better than Halo 4 but not as good as Halo 3 obviously because it had no competition. That is why I used the word "really" in the sentece you bolded.

Around the Network
Snoopy said:

The sales from OP that we are going by said about 1.5 million in the US in about half a week.  It will be over 2 million not including digital and worldwide sales. Halo 4 sold 3.8 million in it's first week world wide. All it needs to do pretty much is gather 1.8 million from worldwide (outside of U.S.) sales and digital. That isn't a whole lot and again, my next sentence clearly talked about software attach ratio. Halo 4 had the luxry releasing on a console with around 80 million sales while Halo 5 came out around when Xbox One sold about 15 - 18 million. Reality is Halo 5 is doing better then Halo 4 but not as good as Halo 3 obviously because it had no competition. That is why I used the word "really" in the sentece you bolded.

About the half a week thing again. Since you ignored me first time I'll post it againg

SWORDF1SH said:

I'm sorry but you're going to have to quote exactly what was said because they could consider the last week that spills over into November has part of October. You know like NPD will do. Or is it calendar month.

thread has really gone downhill.

People coming in without realising this is US only (and a rumor).

People claiming that UK = ~(Worldwide minus US) for X1 software sales.
CoD AW First Week (US 57.5%; UK 12.9%; Rest 29.6%)
Destiny First Week (US 59.4%; UK 12.7%; Rest 27.9%)
Halo MCC First Week (US 60.3%; UK 11.4%; Rest 28.3%)

People trying to act as if 10%, 20% or 30% digital sales of a game that sold about 2m retail WW (if the rumor is correct) is as insignificant as the same ratio for games that do well below 1m. (hint: even if the ratio is the same, the absolute numbers are quite different).

If the rumor is correct, Halo 5 should be around 2.1m retail and probably around 2.5m with digital.

Btw. does that 1.4-1.5m even include the bundle?

Angelv577 said:
Aura7541 said:

ODST launched at 1.5 million.

Halo 3, Reach, and 4 launched at 3.2-3.3 million, I believe. Even if we take into account digital sales and give it a generous percentage, it's still a big drop.

So assuming 30% of digital sales on 1.5m, that equal to 1.95m right? that's a huge decline compare to other halo games.  

Thats in the US only

SWORDF1SH said:
Snoopy said:

The sales from OP that we are going by said about 1.5 million in the US in about half a week.  It will be over 2 million not including digital and worldwide sales. Halo 4 sold 3.8 million in it's first week world wide. All it needs to do pretty much is gather 1.8 million from worldwide (outside of U.S.) sales and digital. That isn't a whole lot and again, my next sentence clearly talked about software attach ratio. Halo 4 had the luxry releasing on a console with around 80 million sales while Halo 5 came out around when Xbox One sold about 15 - 18 million. Reality is Halo 5 is doing better then Halo 4 but not as good as Halo 3 obviously because it had no competition. That is why I used the word "really" in the sentece you bolded.

About the half a week thing again. Since you ignored me first time I'll post it againg

SWORDF1SH said:

I'm sorry but you're going to have to quote exactly what was said because they could consider the last week that spills over into November has part of October. You know like NPD will do. Or is it calendar month.

It said month debut so that is what I am going by. Halo 5 was out for 4 days during October. Sorry I missed your reply. 

Barozi said:
thread has really gone downhill.

People coming in without realising this is US only (and a rumor).

People claiming that UK = ~(Worldwide minus US) for X1 software sales.
CoD AW First Week (US 57.5%; UK 12.9%; Rest 29.6%)
Destiny First Week (US 59.4%; UK 12.7%; Rest 27.9%)
Halo MCC First Week (US 60.3%; UK 11.4%; Rest 28.3%)

People trying to act as if 10%, 20% or 30% digital sales of a game that sold about 2m retail WW (if the rumor is correct) is as insignificant as the same ratio for games that do well below 1m. (hint: even if the ratio is the same, the absolute numbers are quite different).

If the rumor is correct, Halo 5 should be around 2.1m retail and probably around 2.5m with digital.

Btw. does that 1.4-1.5m even include the bundle?

If you extrapolate those numbers, UK is 10% of WW numbers. In other words, if the report of first week UK Halo sales being ~150K is accurate, then this GAF rumor is spot on.