By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve says Steam Machines are better than gaming consoles

SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

http://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-steam-machine-2015/

Funny thing is the exact same Alienware (Alpha) with Windows, Steam integration and XBox controller for $400 on Amazon - so I really don't undertand why would anyone pick SteamOS version vs Windows, given how limited in games SteamOS is.

Yeah, right now limiting yourself to SteamOS might not be the best idea. At least you get the new controller with it.
It's good that they come out now so they're in their 3rd generation by the time the consoles get old. 2017 would be a good time to get one I think. The cheap ones might not be better yet, but they will be, and it will be interesting to see if they will have any effect on the next generation of consoles. Start of next gen, $499 console with a small launch library vs a $399 Steam machine with thousands of cheap games, that's when the real battle starts.

My guess is that MSony's next gen offerings will be fully backward compatible, so they will have full PS4/XOne libraries as well at launch...if anything else, but to compete with Steam boxes if they gain any traction.

Around the Network

He never even said that they would kill off consoles; he said they are a better value. Wow, IGN is more inept than I previously thought.

Hi

HoloDust said:
SvennoJ said:
HoloDust said:

http://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-steam-machine-2015/

Funny thing is the exact same Alienware (Alpha) with Windows, Steam integration and XBox controller for $400 on Amazon - so I really don't undertand why would anyone pick SteamOS version vs Windows, given how limited in games SteamOS is.

Yeah, right now limiting yourself to SteamOS might not be the best idea. At least you get the new controller with it.
It's good that they come out now so they're in their 3rd generation by the time the consoles get old. 2017 would be a good time to get one I think. The cheap ones might not be better yet, but they will be, and it will be interesting to see if they will have any effect on the next generation of consoles. Start of next gen, $499 console with a small launch library vs a $399 Steam machine with thousands of cheap games, that's when the real battle starts.

My guess is that MSony's next gen offerings will be fully backward compatible, so they will have full PS4/XOne libraries as well at launch...if anything else, but to compete with Steam boxes if they gain any traction.

Look how that worked for the wii u

jason1637 said:
HoloDust said:

Look how that worked for the wii u

Difference being that Steam boxes are, more or less, going for the same audience as PS/XBox audience.

I think if Valve had decided to go traditional and created ONE official Steam machine, released it in stores along side the other three consoles and spent a crap load of money on publicity... it would have done a lot of damage. But going about it the way they did, I don't think it's going to make a sizable dent.

Around the Network
BraLoD said:

Even if the NX pull a Wii it won't. If it releases by next year holidays it'll have to catch up to what? A over 50M PS4s lead?
This gen is set on stone.

Nothing saying it can't do really well, but PS4 is the go to platform this gen.

The NX doesn't need to outsell it lifetime to "steal its thunder." Selling on par/better than it after it launched is more than enough. The PS4 has sold half of what the 3DS has, and it has undeniably stolen that thunder.

BraLoD said:

That's a way to look at it, but the PS4 is set to surpass 3DS sales.
Even if the NX gets really popular, the massive install base of the PS4 will still be more than attractive, there is no taking away the PS4 thunder at this point next year anymore, even if it gets beaten on a direct competiton, it'll still keep the crown in the end, and keep very relevant and supported until PS5 hits.

If you think that stealing the thunder regards only to the sales of both when NX hits, that's not what I meant.
This gen is already PS4 gen, it'll sell the most hardware and software in the end, even if the NX pulls a Wii.

Now if NX can revert something like that, good for Nintendo, because they'll have a PS2 like thing on their hands.

I think it can sell equal numbers to the PS4 (the console varient), but it'll obviously get there much later than the PS4. So even by your definition, I don't think its that set in stone. But I don't think there will be a PS5, and I don't think the NX is part of "this gen" as it won't be part of any generation, so it's not really relevant.

AlfredoTurkey said:
I think if Valve had decided to go traditional and created ONE official Steam machine, released it in stores along side the other three consoles and spent a crap load of money on publicity... it would have done a lot of damage. But going about it the way they did, I don't think it's going to make a sizable dent.

Maybe to Nintendo and MS, but not to Sony.

those steam machines is just...

blowing steam..

CPU: Ryzen 7950X
GPU: MSI 4090 SUPRIM X 24G
Motherboard: MSI MEG X670E GODLIKE
RAM: CORSAIR DOMINATOR PLATINUM 32GB DDR5
SSD: Kingston FURY Renegade 4TB
Gaming Console: PLAYSTATION 5
Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Maybe to Nintendo and MS, but not to Sony.

How do you know? Steam, as a service, is so different to what console gamers are use to that I could totally see it doing well. Most console players aren't informed like us. These are your average joes who don't know much. PS1 took off with those guys because it was so radically different and I think an offical Steam console COULD do the same thing. We'll never know though.