By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Valve says Steam Machines are better than gaming consoles

Those steam machines are releasing in a few days and there is no hype surrounding them (as far as I noticed it).

Around the Network
BraLoD said:
OmegaRed421 said:

I'm hoping the NX does...hoping. If all rumors are to be believed about it Japan and US will jump all over it...once again I hope, lol.

OT: The Steam boxes can out preform all they want, the graphics will still need to be scalled to fit your box and M$, Sony, and Nintendo have great UI's and games that will never be on the others.

Even if the NX pull a Wii it won't. If it releases by next year holidays it'll have to catch up to what? A over 50M PS4s lead?
This gen is set on stone.

Nothing saying it can't do really well, but PS4 is the go to platform this gen.

I said steal its thunder...it doesn't have to "win" this gen...just hype over the PS4 to do that. Numbers aren't everything...just to the corporations.

Make it So.

LurkerJ said:
HoloDust said:
Bollocks.

Alienware's $450 Steam machine is the cheapest one, and that 860M inside it is not faster than PS4's GPU (close in some games, but note there really).

It is faster that XOne though, so they're only Half-Lying.

Faster on paper. We don't how well games are gonna run on it. I'd rather have a slower machine with well optimized games. 

To be fair to Gabe, online play is free on steam machines, gaming for 5 years on the PS4 will add $250 to the total amount paid (and $300 to X1?)

Yup. That's the proverbial nail hit on the head.

That's one of the reasons why I'm doing my gaming on the PC and Wii U this generation. The Wii U has (imo) the best exclusives out of all three consoles so far this generation and my PC is scratching my multiplatform itch.

I might have gone for a PS4 but Oculus Rift and HTC Vive will be better VR solutions than PSVR because of the recommended specs for them. Better eye candy, 2 analog sticks (or touch pad thingies with the Vive controllers) and higher resolution screens in the HMD.

I'm still mystified why Sony didn't add an analog stick to the Move controller when it released years ago, either that or have motion controls added to their nunchuck clone.

Edit: Can't remember whether I said it earlier or not but these Steam machines, like all pre-built PCs, are over priced compared to what you get in the box. Anyone buying a pre-built machine over buying the separate components and putting it together themselves has more money than sense. The sooner people realise how easy it all is to do the better.

BraLoD said:
Considering the lower machines won't, and will still be more expensive, they are actually lying.

Of course a $5000 one will have way better specs, though.

Still, nothing is stealling PS4 thunder this gen, nothing.

you couldn't be further from the truth all the comsoles combined don't have more thunder than a decent pc ;)

Would it always just be cheaper to build your own pc with steam OS.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
HoloDust said:
Bollocks.

Alienware's $450 Steam machine is the cheapest one, and that 860M inside it is not faster than PS4's GPU (close in some games, but note there really).

It is faster that XOne though, so they're only Half-Lying.

Seems like they are still completely lying, because they said for the same price and $450 is not the same price as $350.

But it is very possible that I could switch to Steam Machine in the next generation if there are no PS franchises that carry me over to the 9th gen. It may come down to price at the time.

Due to AMD being always late (and Intel and NVidia not really trying to offer more for less in the mid-low end until competition pushes them to do it), cheap gaming PCs, including cheap SteamBoxes, will probably outperform 8th gen consoles next year instead of this year as the most optimistic ones hoped.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW!