Forums - PC Discussion - Valve says Steam Machines are better than gaming consoles

Well technically yes, they're better. Because you're spending more money to get a better product. A revolutionary idea!

I can't see these things being very successful. They're basically just corporate-branded pre-built PCs, like an Alienware for example...

Except they're worse, because most use SteamOS (Linux-based) instead of Windows.

"Never argue with stupid people. They will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience."

-Samuel Clemens

Around the Network
greenmedic88 said:
HoloDust said:

http://www.cnet.com/products/alienware-steam-machine-2015/

Funny thing is the exact same Alienware (Alpha) with Windows, Steam integration and XBox controller for $400 on Amazon - so I really don't undertand why would anyone pick SteamOS version vs Windows, given how limited in games SteamOS is.

It's a smaller niche audience, but it would be for consumers who want a PC strictly for playing games on it.

I say this as someone in that niche; I maintained multiple PCs including one that had nothing but Steam and games installed on it.

I would imagine many, if not most Steam box buyers would install Windows on it for dual boot purpose like any other PC.

I agree it's niche audience, I personally know few people that are just the audience for it, but as of right now it just doesn't make much sense to pay more for the exactly same product that has tremendously weaker library than Windows version, especially since I don't see AAA publishers doing much to support it at the moment.

Maybe in few years if it picks up...well, steam.

What AAA games run on the steam OS? Oh wait, none.

Breaking news : Sony says PS4 is better than Xbox One !

Other news : Steam machines are dead already. You want a PC ? Buy a PC. You want a console ? Buy a console. Really few people want something with a PC-like price without the power or the AAA games, and even fewer people interested in a console will take the time it needs to understand what the hell you're buying when you spend hundreds of bucks in a Steam machine.

steam machine is a failure, i can get free steam machine downloaded from internet

Around the Network
Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

How do you know? Steam, as a service, is so different to what console gamers are use to that I could totally see it doing well. Most console players aren't informed like us. These are your average joes who don't know much. PS1 took off with those guys because it was so radically different and I think an offical Steam console COULD do the same thing. We'll never know though.

PS1 took off because it started to give people more mature games and was an entertainment system as opposed to a toy. Not because it was different for the sake of being different. And plenty of people still prefer to purchase physical copies of games. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Steam machine for a console owner at this point.

Again, you're speaking from the mind of a vastly informed, hardcore gamer. I think people like us fit your description. Average joe's, not so much. The average person just isn't that intelligent. If they are intelligent, they're uninformed and don't care about being informed. They bought consoles because their friends have one or because it's hip or cool. These are the kinds of people who, 2 months before launch, are buying last generation consoles because they don't know the new ones are right around the corner.

Idk, I think if Valve did it right, it would have a 50/50 shot. 

Lawlight said:
zero129 said:
Lawlight said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

How do you know? Steam, as a service, is so different to what console gamers are use to that I could totally see it doing well. Most console players aren't informed like us. These are your average joes who don't know much. PS1 took off with those guys because it was so radically different and I think an offical Steam console COULD do the same thing. We'll never know though.

PS1 took off because it started to give people more mature games and was an entertainment system as opposed to a toy. Not because it was different for the sake of being different. And plenty of people still prefer to purchase physical copies of games. There is absolutely no reason to buy a Steam machine for a console owner at this point.

Sega says hi.

Sony took what sega was doing and done it better with better marketing, buying exclusives etc.

What mature games did Sega have? Sorry, I'm not familiar with the Saturn.

What Mature games did Sega have?, is this a real question??. And also im not only on about from the saturn days but even before!.

Anyway the was lots of mature games on Sega systems when Nintendo wasnt allowing such things. Im not going to go give you a whole list of games since the is too many and its not a hard thing to check with a simple google search .

Those steam machines are releasing in a few days and there is no hype surrounding them (as far as I noticed it).

BraLoD said:
OmegaRed421 said:

I'm hoping the NX does...hoping. If all rumors are to be believed about it Japan and US will jump all over it...once again I hope, lol.

OT: The Steam boxes can out preform all they want, the graphics will still need to be scalled to fit your box and M$, Sony, and Nintendo have great UI's and games that will never be on the others.

Even if the NX pull a Wii it won't. If it releases by next year holidays it'll have to catch up to what? A over 50M PS4s lead?
This gen is set on stone.

Nothing saying it can't do really well, but PS4 is the go to platform this gen.

I said steal its thunder...it doesn't have to "win" this gen...just hype over the PS4 to do that. Numbers aren't everything...just to the corporations.

Make it So.

LurkerJ said:
HoloDust said:
Bollocks.

Alienware's $450 Steam machine is the cheapest one, and that 860M inside it is not faster than PS4's GPU (close in some games, but note there really).

It is faster that XOne though, so they're only Half-Lying.

Faster on paper. We don't how well games are gonna run on it. I'd rather have a slower machine with well optimized games. 

To be fair to Gabe, online play is free on steam machines, gaming for 5 years on the PS4 will add $250 to the total amount paid (and $300 to X1?)

Yup. That's the proverbial nail hit on the head.

That's one of the reasons why I'm doing my gaming on the PC and Wii U this generation. The Wii U has (imo) the best exclusives out of all three consoles so far this generation and my PC is scratching my multiplatform itch.

I might have gone for a PS4 but Oculus Rift and HTC Vive will be better VR solutions than PSVR because of the recommended specs for them. Better eye candy, 2 analog sticks (or touch pad thingies with the Vive controllers) and higher resolution screens in the HMD.

I'm still mystified why Sony didn't add an analog stick to the Move controller when it released years ago, either that or have motion controls added to their nunchuck clone.

Edit: Can't remember whether I said it earlier or not but these Steam machines, like all pre-built PCs, are over priced compared to what you get in the box. Anyone buying a pre-built machine over buying the separate components and putting it together themselves has more money than sense. The sooner people realise how easy it all is to do the better.