By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - PSVR will be priced so Sony doesn't make any profit. What are your price predictions now?

JEMC said:
Nautilus said:

Maybe.But that same amount of people may not be able to afford it.I mean, most of us(and that includes me) are excited about the idea, about the level of immersion that the VR can provide, but I think those same people are not giving much thought about its price, or even are just assuming that it will be something like kinekt, something that are more expensive than most acessorys, but it is at the same time affordable.When sony announces its price, and Im almost certain it will be something around 300, those same people will abandon ship, because thats simply too expensive for something complimentory to the console.Thats dosnt mean it wont sell well the first few months.Those really eager for it will buy it first week, but after that I think sales will decline.Dont think it will be a Virtual Boy like failure, but I still think it will be a failure, commercially speaking anyway.

That's why I didn't include regular gamers in the kind of users that will jump onboard first .

Now, I agree that it won't be a huge success like Kinect or the Balance Board, but I think it can do well enough.

Well I sure hope so.Dont see it happening, but I really hope that it has the succes Sony is hoping for.After all, its one step closer to having a true VR, where we play like in SAO.That would be life changer!

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Around the Network

I never expected Sony to launch PSVR at a profitable price. So I'll stand by my $299 prediction. I also think there is no way that it's more expensive than the PS4.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

taus90 said:
Nautilus said:
Intrinsic said:

Whenever I see this kinda skepticism I actually chuckle a little to myself. I think VR is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm more convinced of this due to the fact that since no one knows whst to expect of it they just write it off. VR marks the single largest jump in gaming since when we went from 2d gaming to 3d.

Same could be said about the Dreamcast and inclusion of internet acess and online play, but in the end it failed.Innovation wont sell itself.What makes something successful is the combination of everything, be it innovation, hype,content, price(specially this), among other things.Dont get me wrong:I think that PSVR is a great piece of tech and could bring gaming to a new age, but not with this price and the requeriment it needs for you to use it.It is just way too expensive, and even more for something not proven.Not to mention that you will need to buy a Move for some games, adding even more to the pricetag(if it dosnt come bundled with the VR)

what??? doesnt every console since past three gen came with the ability to connect to the internet or are you saying its because of Sega's decision to include modem dreamcast failed??. what i understand from your statement is that a consoles ability to connect to internet died with dreamcast! which is not true.. so based on that even if psvr fails there will be someone else who will succeed, just like dreamcast and onlineplay.. and if vr does succeed inspite of Playstation VR failure, I bet sony would risk releasing Ps5 without PLaystation VR 2.

Wait, thats not what I meant.Dreamcast failed for many different reasons, but my argument was that, if innovation was the only thing a console(or in this case an acessory) needed to succeed, then the Dreamcast wouldnt have failed.For all its errors, Sega was ahead of its time putting online interactivity in it.But its errors ended up making it a failure.And I think its a similar situation for the PSVR.

Now, dont get me wrong, Sony didnt make any mistake with the tech itself.It looks amazing, and the level of immersion it can provide, by what i hear, sounds incredible(I myself wanna try it someday).But if it isnt viable financially it wont succeed.If the price was for the whole package, like a normal console, then I could see it working.But as an acessory?That also requires to buy a PS4?I understand that this is more aimed for people that already own a PS4, but those people wont be happy to play an addicional 300 dollars just to use an acessory, and an unproven acessory at that(by unproven I mean something thats new to the mass market).I truly hope it has its own level of success, but I just dont see it.

And by the way, even if it fails, it wont go away.It will eventually come back when the technology is cheaper, or sony(for example) tries to bundle it with a future console at a reasonable price.

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

SWORDF1SH said:
taus90 said:
SWORDF1SH said:
taus90 said:
i expect it to be between 350 to 400 as it comes with an external processing unit. It will be miracle if sony manages to sell at $299

The PS4 released for $400. PSVR surely carrying less tech than the PS4.

and that is because PS4/Psvita didnt have that big of an R&D cost. compared to PS3 and now PSVR, they used off the shelf products. I just cant see sony producing VR Head set and a Processing Unit at under 300. Correct me if i am wrong, even sony produces small oled display panels right? if this is the case then there are chances it could be priced less.

The PS4 isn't completely made with off the self part, it does have custom-made/modified parts. PSVR isn't the first time Sony have ventured in to head mounted VR soo the R&D costs may not be as high as you think.

yeah maybe you are right regarding PSVR R&D, they do have quiet a bit knowledge in Head mounted display with HMZ, infact if i remember they did have a gaming headset during Ps2 or Psone era, which flopped badly. And when it comes to Psvr we can all hope that sony learned their lesson with PS4 and that they didnt spend much on R&D, which is quiet evident as the tech being used are readily available, also they went ahead and did some cost cutting.. no headphone, using led and gyro for tracking instead of expensive sensors like vive and oculus, so lets see. I think even sony is aware that people are expecting the price to be 299 which will be 400 if u include camera and move controller considering you already own PS4, But still i m willing to upto 350

Nautilus said:
taus90 said:
Nautilus said:
Intrinsic said:

Whenever I see this kinda skepticism I actually chuckle a little to myself. I think VR is going to surprise a lot of people. I'm more convinced of this due to the fact that since no one knows whst to expect of it they just write it off. VR marks the single largest jump in gaming since when we went from 2d gaming to 3d.

Same could be said about the Dreamcast and inclusion of internet acess and online play, but in the end it failed.Innovation wont sell itself.What makes something successful is the combination of everything, be it innovation, hype,content, price(specially this), among other things.Dont get me wrong:I think that PSVR is a great piece of tech and could bring gaming to a new age, but not with this price and the requeriment it needs for you to use it.It is just way too expensive, and even more for something not proven.Not to mention that you will need to buy a Move for some games, adding even more to the pricetag(if it dosnt come bundled with the VR)

what??? doesnt every console since past three gen came with the ability to connect to the internet or are you saying its because of Sega's decision to include modem dreamcast failed??. what i understand from your statement is that a consoles ability to connect to internet died with dreamcast! which is not true.. so based on that even if psvr fails there will be someone else who will succeed, just like dreamcast and onlineplay.. and if vr does succeed inspite of Playstation VR failure, I bet sony would risk releasing Ps5 without PLaystation VR 2.

Wait, thats not what I meant.Dreamcast failed for many different reasons, but my argument was that, if innovation was the only thing a console(or in this case an acessory) needed to succeed, then the Dreamcast wouldnt have failed.For all its errors, Sega was ahead of its time putting online interactivity in it.But its errors ended up making it a failure.And I think its a similar situation for the PSVR.

Now, dont get me wrong, Sony didnt make any mistake with the tech itself.It looks amazing, and the level of immersion it can provide, by what i hear, sounds incredible(I myself wanna try it someday).But if it isnt viable financially it wont succeed.If the price was for the whole package, like a normal console, then I could see it working.But as an acessory?That also requires to buy a PS4?I understand that this is more aimed for people that already own a PS4, but those people wont be happy to play an addicional 300 dollars just to use an acessory, and an unproven acessory at that(by unproven I mean something thats new to the mass market).I truly hope it has its own level of success, but I just dont see it.

And by the way, even if it fails, it wont go away.It will eventually come back when the technology is cheaper, or sony(for example) tries to bundle it with a future console at a reasonable price.

Yeah thats the thing, even if sony fails in vr there are other bigger players who might succeed, and we can all agree that sony wont be giving up on VR if their product fails, I believe even the next xbox will have a VR headset (microsoft will buy someone from kickstarter). So learning from the failure of PSvr and cheaper parts sony will be back in vr scene with PS5.. But VR is here to stay, which headset will succeed this gen remains to be seen, my bet is the one which is cheaper out of the three and whatever PSvr cost I dont see VIve and oculus selling at lesser price than PSvr. but the biggest problem for psvr will be that it will be bound to a single console, then again i dont think sony is targeting anyone outside of playstation demographic

Around the Network

$299 would be my guess.

If it is $399 or more and they make no money I struggle to see this catching on.

taus90 said:
Nautilus said:
taus90 said:

Yeah thats the thing, even if sony fails in vr there are other bigger players who might succeed, and we can all agree that sony wont be giving up on VR if their product fails, I believe even the next xbox will have a VR headset (microsoft will buy someone from kickstarter). So learning from the failure of PSvr and cheaper parts sony will be back in vr scene with PS5.. But VR is here to stay, which headset will succeed this gen remains to be seen, my bet is the one which is cheaper out of the three and whatever PSvr cost I dont see VIve and oculus selling at lesser price than PSvr. but the biggest problem for psvr will be that it will be bound to a single console, then again i dont think sony is targeting anyone outside of playstation demographic

This is one of those situations that we simply need to see more to know better what to expect.But yeah,Virtual Reality, whatever shape it takes, is here to stay.It may take 10 years to take off, but it will.Will be fun and exciting to be there to see it happen.

Cloudman said:
Huh..? When did they price their goods at a loss while still being a good affordable price. The PS3 and Vita were still too pricy to buy, even at a loss, and the PS4 they still made money on that day 1... I guess he's talking about the PS1 and 2?

Anyways, to make a base, I'll say 200 USDs or less?

PS4 was sold at a slim loss after factoring in shipping costs etc. Also he never really said that they sold it at a loss while being an affordable price.... Just that they sold it at a loss to chase higher installbase rather than profits from day one.

You may say that the PS3 was "too pricy to buy" (whatever that means, considering it sold as much in that first period as the affordable 360 when you align launches), but it was ridiculously cheap for the tech that was in it. The PS3's BoM was like 850$.

Teeqoz said:
Cloudman said:
Huh..? When did they price their goods at a loss while still being a good affordable price. The PS3 and Vita were still too pricy to buy, even at a loss, and the PS4 they still made money on that day 1... I guess he's talking about the PS1 and 2?

Anyways, to make a base, I'll say 200 USDs or less?

PS4 was sold at a slim loss after factoring in shipping costs etc. Also he never really said that they sold it at a loss while being an affordable price.... Just that they sold it at a loss to chase higher installbase rather than profits from day one.

You may say that the PS3 was "too pricy to buy" (whatever that means, considering it sold as much in that first period as the affordable 360 when you align launches), but it was ridiculously cheap for the tech that was in it. The PS3's BoM was like 850$.

I coulda sworn they were making profit on it day one. Didn't they say so themselves at the start of the launch? It also sounds weird that they sold the PS3 at a loss, but still costed a lot. Sounds like they went overboard on the PS3 tech.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread