By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Generation of Delay

When did this stupid delay culture become acceptable in the games industry? This irresponsibility is getting ridiculous, and this problems only gonna get worse.

I mean, we're even delaying game trailers at this point:

http://www.product-reviews.net/2015/11/04/new-kingdom-hearts-3-trailer-from-d23-delay/

If you don't see why this isn't a big deal, then you are only thinking that I'm annoyed at this one instance. A naive misunderstanding. I'm appauled that delays are becoming the norm, to the point where it serves as a marketting tactic to overhype things, and even gain more publicity. 

Is it any suprise that we get long droughts followed by game saturation and even more droughts. If these publishers can't even release games on time, how can they be expected to balance their releases over a year? 

I recognize that there really isn't alot to be done about it at this point, for obvious reasons, but it doesn't mean people should accept or even try to validate delays.

The whole more time = more polish argument is basically moot, with that reasoning the best game ever will never be released, and what good is it then?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network

Delays arent the problem. Gaming development is A LOT more complex than it used to be. its very hard to estimate how much time development needs and how smoothly things will go. i am all up for delays if it means a proper and finished product.

the problem is with announcing games to early. for example The Division, it was announced E3 2013 for fucks sake, it was way to early to announce it, the game got delayed a lot, they needed to downgrade the visuals (a problem completely avoidable if they didnt announce early, since nobody would have seen how good it looked in 2013). if they would have just announced at this years E3, it wold have been A LOT better.

another example is quantum break. that game will have 3 years between announcement and release. its just insane. it was one of the first games announced for the xbox one. just let that sink in.

I mean, delays always hapenned, but this gen they are all over the place. When someone announces a game with a vague "2016" we almost instantly expect it to be released in 2017 and so on. I don't like this situation, developers should try harder to pursue launch goals.

Bet with Teeqoz for 2 weeks of avatar and sig control that Super Mario Odyssey would ship more than 7m on its first 2 months. The game shipped 9.07m, so I won

Games just take longer to make. They are way more robust than they used to be. That's just how it is now. Besides, delays have always been around. They are just more noticeable.

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

They just need to stop announcing so early and giving us dates they can't keep/have no intention of keeping (Nintendo). I get that game development is getting more complex and time consuming, but I certainly hope that we can eventually adapt to that and set expectations accordingly. I'm also a bit frustrated with this.

Around the Network

I think this happens at the start of every new generation since devs are unfamiliar with development times for new systems.

My intention was to post my opinion, but I will delay to 2016.

I hate delays with passion. It just portraits a bad image of the company, it reeks inefficience.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

The problem lies with publisher pressure, they want to show they have big games coming out. So they tell the dev to have something ready for E3, and say we want this game in 2016. And it seems feasible to the dev so they say yes, or they just say yes because they are the ones are paying the dev. Then as it gets closer they see they can't hit the date and then push it back.

bananaking21 said:
Delays arent the problem. Gaming development is A LOT more complex than it used to be. its very hard to estimate how much time development needs and how smoothly things will go. i am all up for delays if it means a proper and finished product.

the problem is with announcing games to early. for example The Division, it was announced E3 2013 for fucks sake, it was way to early to announce it, the game got delayed a lot, they needed to downgrade the visuals (a problem completely avoidable if they didnt announce early, since nobody would have seen how good it looked in 2013). if they would have just announced at this years E3, it wold have been A LOT better.

another example is quantum break. that game will have 3 years between announcement and release. its just insane. it was one of the first games announced for the xbox one. just let that sink in.

Would it be so complex if we had AA games again?

Sure estimating time for a single game might be hard but couldn't they plan for a distribution of releases so we don't have california tier game droughts multiple times a year?

Maybe if they had actual games to release down the pipeline already, they wouldn't have to announce games that won't release for years?

And they always delay everything to the Holidays which are already super stacked, is that really for quality's sake or for money? It's just a horrible experience over all at least for me any way.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

The last generation was just as bad, if not worse.

Think about Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Bioshock, GTA IV, L.A. Noire, Final Fantasy XIII etc.