By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Amazon US November monthly bestsellers and general Amazon-based discussion.

GribbleGrunger said:
celador said:
Cod at 9 right behind the PSN cards. In a usual week, one where two of the three biggest games of the year aren't releasing, it would probably be at #5. Must be selling very well.

Amazon:
November 2-5: Get Mad Max for free when you buy Xbox One.

November 6-8: Buy any new Xbox One bundle. Get Mad Max for free.

TBH I fail to see how Mad Max is going to attract anyone. I dunno how it was charting on its own before the Borderlands DLC madness, which is still affecting the back half of the top 100. But in the UK individual GFK formats chart Mad Max isn't in the top 40. It's an odd choice for an inducement. Maybe Amazon over-ordered on Xb one versions.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network

"I wonder why so many of these expire in 3 days, aside from the 1 deal that runs until 11/21. Maybe there's a new wave of deals coming."

These are to counteract the black ops 3 PS4 buzz. Then a push for Fallout 4 and Tomb raider. No doubt then more deals leading into Battlefront. Then the black Friday craziness.

I have a feeling Halo aside, most people have started buying XB1 based on the deals, rather than a steady sales flow, with peaks around all of the big games. I'm not sure how healthy this will prove to be going into 2016.

GribbleGrunger said:

It looks like the first deal only applied to the standalone console. The bundle deal start at midnight tonight.

When I read the deals list a few days ago, it sounds like the first deal applies to all bundles. The second only applies to the New holiday bundles.

SWORDF1SH said:

When I read the deals list a few days ago, it sounds like the first deal applies to all bundles. The second only applies to the New holiday bundles.

Yeah, I was looking and is there actually a standalone XB1?

The PS5 Exists. 

Jaxyfoo said:
"I wonder why so many of these expire in 3 days, aside from the 1 deal that runs until 11/21. Maybe there's a new wave of deals coming."

These are to counteract the black ops 3 PS4 buzz. Then a push for Fallout 4 and Tomb raider. No doubt then more deals leading into Battlefront. Then the black Friday craziness.

I have a feeling Halo aside, most people have started buying XB1 based on the deals, rather than a steady sales flow, with peaks around all of the big games. I'm not sure how healthy this will prove to be going into 2016.

Binging is never healthy, and concentrating all your sales efforts in the final 2 1/2 months of the year is binging. If the market largely forgets you for 9 months of the year, then you will get ever diminishing returns in that final 3 months. And of course the need for more extreme measures to reach the sales level they want.

Remember back when the punditocracy and commentariat were saying PS4's end of year was looking lackluster and that Sony was possibly giving Xb one a look in because of it?

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
Shadow1980 said:
celador said:
I would be surprised, and disappointed, if PS4 didn't get over a million this month. X1 did it comfortably last year, and PS4 has arguably more going for it this year.

Oh, I think it'll handily breach a million units. The PS4 sold 838k units last November at $400 and with no major new bundles or third-party marketing exclusives. The PS4 is now at $350 and has major bundles and marketing exclusives, namely Black Ops III and Battlefront, arguably the two biggest third-party titles of the quarter. It wouldn't surprise me if the PS4 cleared the 1.2 million mark, which is about what the XBO did last November and is about a 43% increase from the PS4's own performance last November. It would be a sales disappointment if it couldn't at least match what the XBO did last November, and it would be a disaster if it didn't clear one million.

As for the XBO, I'm expecting a huge YoY drop. It no longer has the price advantage or the bundles advantage it had last year which allowed it to suck the wind out of the PS4's sails. I think it might only sell in the 750-800k range, which would completely wipe out its YoY gains. I predicted months ago that the XBO would by down YoY once December's NPD numbers rolled around, and with MS seemingly being unwilling to issue another price cut (likely because they can't afford it yet), Sony will be the ones taking the wind out of MS's sales this go-around.

When did MS announce its temporary price drop last year? Was it in October or November? AC:U launched in November and the ACU bundle was $350 from the outset, but how soon before the AC:U bundle did MS announce?

The problem this time around is that MS knows a temporary price cut is untennable. They know if they move to $299 then it has to be a permanent move because if they move back to $350 in the new year their sales will plummet horriby. So, in terms of afforability of price movement they can't just think in terms of this final month and a half of the year. While it would have a much lower effect it might help for a permanent price drop to $329. That might be affordable as a permanent move and it does give Xb one a price advantage over PS4. And everyone knows Xb one can't be competitive against PS4 at the same price. This will be strongly driven home to everyone if PS4 winds up winning October NPD, which is a far more likely scenario than anyone thought possible just a few months ago.

Jimi Hendrix

Last one tonight. I think I might actually try to sleep for a change.

2 hours since the last update:

#09 PS4 Black Ops Bundle (same)
#17 PS4 Nathan Drake Bundle (same)
#24 PS4 Star Wars Bundle (up 2)
#30 PS4 Star Wars Standard Bundle (same)
#33 XB1 Fallout bundle (up 3)
#63 XB1 Halo Bundle (up 7)
#89 XB1 Kinect Bundle (up 11)
#100 XB1 Gears Bundle (re-entry)

PS4 - 5 bundles, 4 in the top 100
XB1 - 15 bundles, 4 in the top 100

The PS5 Exists. 

GribbleGrunger said:

I think I might actually try to sleep for a change.

Probably a good idea lol

Jaxyfoo said:

That's a good observation, but I think that sets them up for a hard fall: SW:BF launches right on the heels of BO:3, and I tend to doubt that people will shift to X1 right after the BO3 launch (to make those two extra days of deals effective).

Shadow1980 said:
binary solo said:

When did MS announce its temporary price drop last year? Was it in October or November? AC:U launched in November and the ACU bundle was $350 from the outset, but how soon before the AC:U bundle did MS announce?

The price cut went into effect November 2. Apparently, the ACU bundle was released the same day.

The problem this time around is that MS knows a temporary price cut is untennable. They know if they move to $299 then it has to be a permanent move because if they move back to $350 in the new year their sales will plummet horriby. So, in terms of afforability of price movement they can't just think in terms of this final month and a half of the year. While it would have a much lower effect it might help for a permanent price drop to $329. That might be affordable as a permanent move and it does give Xb one a price advantage over PS4. And everyone knows Xb one can't be competitive against PS4 at the same price. This will be strongly driven home to everyone if PS4 winds up winning October NPD, which is a far more likely scenario than anyone thought possible just a few months ago.

I wonder how much that waffling on the permanence of the XBO's price cut hurt them. It if it did have an impact, it didn't matter much after tax season. Q1 was indeed down YoY, but by only a little under 7% YoY. Meanwhile, Q2 was up 60% and Q3 was up almost 17%. Overall, the XBO is up 17% YoY as of September. The price cut did help a little, which is in keeping with previous Xbox systems getting only modest boosts from their initial price cuts.

Ok so it becomes increasingly unlikely that MS announces a true price cut as we get deeper into November. What we're likely to see is more cut priced limited offer / specific retailer deals.

Considering they were down YoY for the first quarter, and you'd expect them to be up YoY by some %, I'd say that week, or so, of vascillating and returning to the original [Kinectless] price had a substantial short term negative effect. But it was such a short waffle that in terms of the overall effect on sales for the year (financial and calendar year) the effect was pretty negligible. The important lesson was that there is no way they can use the same tactic, because they know if would be a disaster if the went through with it this time, and people wouldn't believe them. If we assume that some proportion of late 2014 Xb one sales was because people thought the price cut was only going to be temporary (more fool them I say) and they would have otherwise waited if they new the price cut was permanent, then trying the temporary price cut tactic again is unlikely to fool a new pool of people into buying before they intended.

Also it's just a bad look to drop the price after the launch of the lastest game in your number 1 franchise of all time. If you want to drop the price you do it before the game launches.

Back to the Amazon chart. I am very surprised to see BO3 still inside the top 10. Amazon no longer has a guarantee of delivery on the launch day, and normally that should signal the start of the decline in the charts for that bundle. That's what happened for the Halo 5 bundle. Just how big is this Black Ops Bundle going to be?

Jimi Hendrix