By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo made potato-chan a midget [Xenoblade X censorship]

Chrizum said:
This is ridiculous, do you even know what censorship is? This is not.

Everybody knows Japan is crazy for little girls in underwear, but the sexual morale is different in the west. This is catering to a market's taste and social and moral codes. This has been done thousands of times before. Remember Contra and Probotector? Probotector was a cosmetic change from Contra to cater to the European market after doing extensive market research (mostly Germany being anti 20st century war stories).

The western character looks much better if you ask me. I mean come on, that Japanese outfit is completely ridiculous.

This is still censorship.

I'm not even say that all the changes are pointless due to the story (can't spoil it).

Around the Network
Chrizum said:
This is ridiculous, do you even know what censorship is? This is not.

Altering something that isn't yours to cater for your idea of market and social taste and ethics is censorship, no matter how you want to put it.

It's like Spain's regime when the dictatorship was running the place. Foreign movies and books were heavily edited, to the point that they removed any instance of a kiss between a man and a woman, or any scene that featured a woman dressed in lingerie (among much, much other things). It was done to cater for the regime's social codes and ethics. It's still censorship. Either leave the work untainted or don't bother bringing it to your place. 

Instead of censoring the outfit, couldn't they just have changed her age? Is it really important to the story? I understant why they censored this, it is a perfectly valid reason, but it is still annoying.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Ridiculous once again
And wtf is wrong with her legs

The costume used to show the difference is odd, but besides that, I'm not really against it.

It won't have any impact on my enjoyment of the game.

Please excuse my bad English.

Currently gaming on a PC with an i5-4670k@stock (for now), 16Gb RAM 1600 MHz and a GTX 1070

Steam / Live / NNID : jonxiquet    Add me if you want, but I'm a single player gamer.

Around the Network
Carl2291 said:
She is either 13 (in JP) or 15 (in US).

The outfit is a vast improvement. The reasons for doing it are obvious. Having a little girl run around in an outfit like that in the West is asking for trouble.

Ah, a sane reaction. Thank you for posting it.

This isn't censorship. Censorship is when a government forbids free speech or expression. This is a localization decision to improve the marketability and sales potential of the games in other markets where sexualized children are not socially appropriate.

It would only be censorship if a governing body told them they had to take it out by law.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Boberkun said:

We waited 8 months to get this:

Bravo, Ninty!

source: 

I dont see any problem here, that "outfit" right is pretty offensive, almost naked little girl, WTF!? Nintendo done great job not including that for West. Also left outfit look much better than right.

man, is a kid.
im disapointed with fatal frame. but im ok with this.

Why did they make her shorter? She looks super weird...