By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
Soundwave said:

I think it will do well to be honest. Miis are for casuals and casuals are all on the iPhone/Android, so that actually works for Nintendo rather than against them for a change.

And it's free to start, I'm guessing it will have a lot of Nintendo loot/items you can obtain (ie: pay for) so that should work.

I just wonder how much "meat" there is to the game, as in will it be something that people will want to use everyday. If there's not much to do with it after the initial novelty wears off, then it won't work, but I would imagine there would be some (?) gameplay elements?

Tomodachi Collection is a big hit in Japan and was an ok sized hit in the US/Europe, so if its kinda like Tomodachi Lite with Streetpass style stuff, I could see this doing quite well.

I get the feeling an app that can use Amiibo toys is coming too. 

Tomodachi life sold around 1.5m in EU which when compared to the 1.8m in Japan is much more then an ok sized hit.

Around the Network

Could've had a more enticing name like Tomodachi Mobile or something. Stocks might have stayed a bit higher knowing as Tomodachi Life was a huge hit worldwide on the 3DS.

It´s not appealing to me (looks boring) but I can see it as something the casual gamers on mobile can enjoy and play

I honestly don't know what to think about it with little information about it.

Let's not be quick to judge, yeah?

In the US, no. In Japan, probably. Nintendo's issues are with the west these days. They know the Japanese market.

Around the Network
TheLegendaryWolf said:
Could've had a more enticing name like Tomodachi Mobile or something. Stocks might have stayed a bit higher knowing as Tomodachi Life was a huge hit worldwide on the 3DS.

Thats worse in every fathomable way.

twintail said:
There are too many social networking apps for most pppl to care IMHO.

But you never know with mobile.

There will absolutley never be too many social network/communication apps. Reading some of the posts on this thread makes me feel like most VGC users aren't even using these apps. Most people have like half a dozen active social networking apps. This stuff is huge. Nintendo gamifying it would be such an easy move.

Like I said, Miitomo is exactly what I thought it would be so far, and it's genius.

Its a good Idea it forces people to buy nintendo hardware

I also think it's a very weird statement to say that "this is trying to attract casuals. It's not meant to appeal to core gamers."

Um, no it's not? It's trying to appeal to anyone with a social life. Anyone with friends. You know how this app will get big? You'll download it because all your friends are on it. Like any social platform. I'm sure this app's gimmick is that it's gamifying the social platform. What they showed off here will likely act as sort of a terminal. There will probably be like one free minigame to start out. It will be a passive thing you play with your friends, like WwF and Draw Something. There will eventually be a handful of these, and you have to buy each of them for like $.99 each.

So Miitomo will probably be a platform for these mini games, just like Rusty was a free to start platform for its mini games. Only Rusty's games were single player focused. These will be multiplayer focused. I imagine there will be some one on one games, some group games, and some co-op games. I wouldn't expect anything outside of like puzzles and word games. The games are purely meant to act like social lubricant.

It's like you guys were expecting some deep, tactical RPG or something. It's a game for normal people with friends. It's just meant to give people a neat little way to interact with friends. It's not meant to appeal to ANY "gamer." It's meant to appeal to people with friends. Which is almost everybody. It's like getting mad at Cards Against Humanity or Tinder for being to casual. Like, what?

It's especially weird to say it'll only appeal in Japan, when Miis are massively successful in the West. Having friends is successful world wide. This is going to be successful world wide. It's not "too japanese" at all.

EDIT: This is not unlike Bitstrips, which has a very similar visual identity. Massively successful, though.

I see it being a big hit.  Is it something i am gonna play or ever even fully understand?  Nope!  But to me it sounds a lot like Tomodauchi Life. It's going to be a big hit. Tomodauchi Life sold more units than any Zelda game on 3ds and is the 8th best selling 3ds game. To me it's clearly tied to Tomodauchi since the last for letters of Miitomo and the first 4 letters of Tomodauchi life are the same. Add to it that it's free and it's coming to an install base bigger than all nintendo consoles and hendhelds alltime combined ya i think its a good idea and its going to be a hit.