By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214
potato_hamster said:

I'm grasping at straws?

The fact that you can import or create generic characters the exact same way as you can in any other game which allows you customize an avatar is somehow unique because that avatar is called a "Mii"? You gotta be joking me.

I create a character in the Sims that looks like Obama. Look Obama is my neighbor. How fun. I can invite Obama to my parties. i can set Obama up with my other neighbors. Obama goes on a date with a sim I created that looks like George Bush. How exciting! Vs - I create a character in Tomodachi life that looks like Obama.  Obama is my neighbor. I can invite Obama over to my parites. ! No wait! This is a Mii specific experience! It's all about the Mii! A Mii is my neighbor! Miis are special!

What?

You can replace the avatars in Tomodachi Life with Microsoft Avatars and it wouldn't change the game in any way! It would play exactly the same. You could do exactly the same with with characters just as custom. The Mii does. not. matter. No one cares whether or not the characters look like Miis or not!

But here is where you lost me. Can you guess where?

"but is built around the quirk and social charm of Miis"

The quirk and social charm of Miis? What quirk and social charm? They literally had zero personalities in any way before this game. They had no voice. They had no quirks. There was literally nothing to distinguish one Mii from the next besides their appearance! They were souless, voiceless avatars that you could customize the look of. That's why when you add or import the character into TL you need to give them a voice, a personality. There is absolutely zero reason why this exactly same game could not be made with literally any other avatar style. None.  What are you getting on with?

You are grasping at straws you have been for a while an example is when you've tried moving goalposts with your under 5m comment earlier, Miis have a distinct style to them that has developed over the years and the game is built around that. Your argument is amusing because earlier you tried using the whole "That can describe anything" yet here you are putting forward something even worse, sure you can replace Conker with Master Chief and CFD would still play the same how ever that doesn't change the fact that may impact the games appeal.

Creating an avatar in the Sims has it's own charmed compare to creating an avatar else where the whole game is built around that style and concept, same with Miis, it's not hard to understand or at least it shouldn't be the reason you're up in arms over it is because you took a stance against Miis and this flat out proves you wrong. This game was introduce to the west highlighting the Miis in an ND for a start and is marketed with Miis being the stars, at this point you need to proved to me that Miis aren't the draw because the whole marketing campaign says you're talking rubbsh.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm grasping at straws?

The fact that you can import or create generic characters the exact same way as you can in any other game which allows you customize an avatar is somehow unique because that avatar is called a "Mii"? You gotta be joking me.

I create a character in the Sims that looks like Obama. Look Obama is my neighbor. How fun. I can invite Obama to my parties. i can set Obama up with my other neighbors. Obama goes on a date with a sim I created that looks like George Bush. How exciting! Vs - I create a character in Tomodachi life that looks like Obama.  Obama is my neighbor. I can invite Obama over to my parites. ! No wait! This is a Mii specific experience! It's all about the Mii! A Mii is my neighbor! Miis are special!

What?

You can replace the avatars in Tomodachi Life with Microsoft Avatars and it wouldn't change the game in any way! It would play exactly the same. You could do exactly the same with with characters just as custom. The Mii does. not. matter. No one cares whether or not the characters look like Miis or not!

The quirk and social charm of Miis? What quirk and social charm? They literally had zero personalities in any way before this game. They had no voice. They had no quirks. There was literally nothing to distinguish one Mii from the next besides their appearance! They were souless, voiceless avatars that you could customize the look of. That's why when you add or import the character into TL you need to give them a voice, a personality. There is absolutely zero reason why this exactly same game could not be made with literally any other avatar style. None.  What are you getting on with?

You are grasping at straws you have been for a while an example is when you've tried moving goalposts with your under 5m comment earlier, Miis have a distinct style to them that has developed over the years and the game is built around that. Your argument is amusing because earlier you tried using the whole "That can describe anything" yet here you are putting forward something even worse, sure you can replace Conker with Master Chief and CFD would still play the same how ever that doesn't change the fact that may impact the games appeal.

Creating an avatar in the Sims has it's own charmed compare to creating an avatar else where the whole game is built around that style and concept, same with Miis, it's not hard to understand or at least it shouldn't be the reason you're up in arms over it is because you took a stance against Miis and this flat out proves you wrong. This game was introduce to the west highlighting the Miis in an ND for a start and is marketed with Miis being the stars, at this point you need to proved to me that Miis aren't the draw because the whole marketing campaign says you're talking rubbsh.

Deep breath. I think that he is making valid points, you just don't want to hear them. I see what you're saying, but Miis are nowhere near as hip as they were in 2006-2007, and that's a valid point. A 3DS game that sold to less than a tenth of system owners, when a lot of those system owners are Nintendo diehards, doesn't prove that perspective wrong.

VitroBahllee said:

"The Funny thing is if you check the markets now it'll no longer be 10% it'll be less,"

Still down 9.5%.

"Those few hours tell me that a few investors along with some brokerages sold stock to cash on the lower prices they bought earlier this year, the drop in price now is them selling with the intention of re-entering."

Ahh, right. They sold when the news was bad and the price plummetted so that they can buy them later, when the news improves, and the stock price is higher, so they'll make less money. Sounds intelligent.

"I work in the financial markets as well so I'll school you hard on how markets move, investors trade and buy stocks based on news and speculation this is why stocks shot up when the mobile deal was announced and the title was due this quarter, investors were expecting a title release now."

Well, don't show your employers the line of reasoning you used here. The fact that you attempt to work in financial markets doesn't mean you aren't in massive denial about Nintendo's investors presentation causing their stock to dip. This game is underwhelming and it isn't even a game. I'm sure the stock went up when Nintendo announced they were going into mobile gaming because investors thought they would be making actual mobile Nintendo games. This is just like Mii Plaza for phones, with a little added fluff, that is not what anyone expected. Of course, Nintendo delayed it like they do with everything, but I PROMISE you that if Nintendo had said, instead of 'Miitomo is our first mobile game, and it will be delayed until March,' that 'Miitomo is our first mobile game, and it's out right now!" their share price would have still gone down by a large amount.

Actually I can show my employers as if you were an investor you'd be a dream for people in the market as they'd burn your money and move on, it's hard for you to understand that the whole market thing is a non issue because movements like these happen everyday for most companies. You think Investors care about how a game looks or your opinion? ROFL

They only care about the release date, the comment at the end of your post is one you'll destroyed over in the financial markets, the share price would have gone up and you'd be sat in the corner being the only person who thought otherwise.

VitroBahllee said:

Deep breath. I think that he is making valid points, you just don't want to hear them. I see what you're saying, but Miis are nowhere near as hip as they were in 2006-2007, and that's a valid point. A 3DS game that sold to less than a tenth of system owners, when a lot of those system owners are Nintendo diehards, doesn't prove that perspective wrong.

The majority of games in general sell less then a 10th of the total owners on any platform, oh dear this post is worthy of a hall of fame no joke.

Wyrdness said:
VitroBahllee said:

"The Funny thing is if you check the markets now it'll no longer be 10% it'll be less,"

Still down 9.5%.

"Those few hours tell me that a few investors along with some brokerages sold stock to cash on the lower prices they bought earlier this year, the drop in price now is them selling with the intention of re-entering."

Ahh, right. They sold when the news was bad and the price plummetted so that they can buy them later, when the news improves, and the stock price is higher, so they'll make less money. Sounds intelligent.

"I work in the financial markets as well so I'll school you hard on how markets move, investors trade and buy stocks based on news and speculation this is why stocks shot up when the mobile deal was announced and the title was due this quarter, investors were expecting a title release now."

Well, don't show your employers the line of reasoning you used here. The fact that you attempt to work in financial markets doesn't mean you aren't in massive denial about Nintendo's investors presentation causing their stock to dip. This game is underwhelming and it isn't even a game. I'm sure the stock went up when Nintendo announced they were going into mobile gaming because investors thought they would be making actual mobile Nintendo games. This is just like Mii Plaza for phones, with a little added fluff, that is not what anyone expected. Of course, Nintendo delayed it like they do with everything, but I PROMISE you that if Nintendo had said, instead of 'Miitomo is our first mobile game, and it will be delayed until March,' that 'Miitomo is our first mobile game, and it's out right now!" their share price would have still gone down by a large amount.

Actually I can show my employers as if you were an investor you'd be a dream for people in the market as they'd burn your money and move on, it's hard for you to understand that the whole market thing is a non issue because movements like these happen everyday for most companies. You think Investors care about how a game looks or your opinion? ROFL

They only care about the release date, the comment at the end of your post is one you'll destroyed over in the financial markets, the share price would have gone up and you'd be sat in the corner being the only person who thought otherwise.

Why would it have gone up? Investors were promised a game would be coming out on mobile. Why would it have gone up when they found out it wasn't really a game and want what they expected? You think investors really don't care about the quality of games the company they are investing in makes? That's ridiculous.

Around the Network
Wyrdness said:
VitroBahllee said:

The majority of games in general sell less then a 10th of the total owners on any platform, oh dear this post is worthy of a hall of fame no joke.

Yes, in that'd respect it is like the majority of games and thus no, it doesn't establish the iconic nature of the Mii in 2015, which is the point. You're starting to get it.

VitroBahllee said:

Why would it have gone up? Investors were promised a game would be coming out on mobile. Why would it have gone up when they found out it wasn't really a game and want what they expected? You think investors really don't care about the quality of games the company they are investing in makes? That's ridiculous.

Here's how I know you're out of your league when it comes to the markets, investors don't have a clue when it comes to games, quality or any of that they just care about making money. Macdonalds don't make better food then most restaurants and chains but they make more money, this is why investors invest in companies, as an investor you don't think with your feelings or follow your own opinion you look at fundamentals.

- Miitomo is an app that will be free so more chance for people to give it a chance.
- Miis are recognizable much like a brand, Nintendo themselves are a brand and had success with Amiibos which also includes Miis in that selection.
- The app will be a hub for things to sell to the consumer from games, digital products and the incentive program will encourage purchases.
- The app has good potential reach with a broad audience as it will be on major social networks as well as phones, broadening the potential number of consumers.
- Nintendos fan following should ensure good number of early adopters, etc...

These are things an investor looks at not what you're doing, the stock would have gone up because people would be buying stock speculating returns in the near future is the app had released because as mentioned earlier the market moves on speculation, when people buy stock it only moves up, the fact you think investors think the way you put it puts me at ease that you're not investing as I'd fear for your well being.

"Yes, in that'd respect it is like the majority of games and thus no, it doesn't establish the iconic nature of the Mii in 2015, which is the point. You're starting to get it."

Majority of games don't sell 4m either even in massive userbases so still this contradicts you and him.

spemanig said:
BlkPaladin said:

I mentioned this in my response to the OP, this app, is ment to be the "exposed communication" hub for the account system, much like the 3DS had Mii plaza. And this seems very much the idea that was put into place here.

What I'm wondering is if Nintendo's mobile games won't actually be hosted through this app. Like, will there only be one app, Miitomo, where all their real mobile games will be played, and not just Miitomo specific minigames.

That's not me speculating. I'm genuinely wondering.

It makes complete sense to be hosted by it.First because it would "force" people downloading it to play the games, but not only that, but nintendo said the next 4 games would be pay-to-play.If thats the case, they could be simply be an in app purchase, thats could stand alongside the free minigames that comes free with it(the difference being its a more complete game, but still not near in the console or handheld level)

My (locked) thread about how difficulty should be a decision for the developers, not the gamers.

https://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=241866&page=1

Wyrdness said:
potato_hamster said:

I'm grasping at straws?

What?

If you think I moved the goalposts perhaps you should look up what "moving the goalposts" means again. It appears pretty obvious you are mistaken. My point was and still stands that one game selling 5 million 1) is not indicative that Miis are popular and 2) does not indicate that the game is popular because the game featured Miis. That is the point I've made about TL since it was first mentioned, and that is the point I continue to make. No goalposts have been moved.

Ohh yes, because replacing generic avatars that have balls for hands with other generic avatars with fingers absolutely totally changes the appeal of the game the same as replacing an anthropomorphic squirel with a futuristic military solder. Yep, that's totally the same thing. Wait no. Only a  Hardcore Nintendo fanboy would make such a ridiculous argument that the two aren't actually completely different. The cognitive dissonance is very strong in you.

Again. People do not care about Miis the same way people do not care about Sims avatars. If EA make a Sims game with Wii-style avatars and the game play is exactly the same the vast majority of the fans simply will not care, and enjoy it the same. If you changed the art style from a more cartoony style to a more realistic style, the vast majority of fans simply will not care and enjoy it the same. You might care, but you don't represent the average gamer, you're a Hardcore Nintendo fan that seems to pretty firmly believe that Nintendo can do no wrong. Also what does marketing have to do with anything exactly? Nintendo decided to heavily market the fact that you can import Miis into the game? So what? They also marketed the fact that you can import Miis into Smash Bros Wii U and the Wii U version the the worst selling verion yet, so I guess by your flawed logic your point is disproven (Note: I don't actually believe this, I'm just pointing out the glaring holes in your thought process).

See here's the thing about me having to prove you wrong. It's a logical fallacy to expect anyone to prove a negative. You can't prove that we do not live in the matrix. You cannot prove god doesn't exist. I can't prove that Tomodachi Life's success isn't a result of featuring Miis the same way I can't prove Splatoon's success isn't a result of featuring Squid people. You asserted that the success of Tomodachi Life is based on the popularity of Miis, therefore the onus is on you to prove that is true. And this should go without saying, but marketing campaigns are in no way any type of proof that the success of the game has anything to do with the game featuring Miis and not any other type of generic customizable avatar.

potato_hamster said:

If you think I moved the goalposts perhaps you should look up what "moving the goalposts" means again. It appears pretty obvious you are mistaken. My point was and still stands that one game selling 5 million 1) is not indicative that Miis are popular and 2) does not indicate that the game is popular because the game featured Miis. That is the point I've made about TL since it was first mentioned, and that is the point I continue to make. No goalposts have been moved.

Ohh yes, because replacing generic avatars that have balls for hands with other generic avatars with fingers absolutely totally changes the appeal of the game the same as replacing an anthropomorphic squirel with a futuristic military solder. Yep, that's totally the same thing. Wait no. Only a  Hardcore Nintendo fanboy would make such a ridiculous argument that the two aren't actually completely different. The cognitive dissonance is very strong in you.

Again. People do not care about Miis the same way people do not care about Sims avatars. If EA make a Sims game with Wii-style avatars and the game play is exactly the same the vast majority of the fans simply will not care, and enjoy it the same. If you changed the art style from a more cartoony style to a more realistic style, the vast majority of fans simply will not care and enjoy it the same. You might care, but you don't represent the average gamer, you're a Hardcore Nintendo fan that seems to pretty firmly believe that Nintendo can do no wrong. Also what does marketing have to do with anything exactly? Nintendo decided to heavily market the fact that you can import Miis into the game? So what? They also marketed the fact that you can import Miis into Smash Bros Wii U and the Wii U version the the worst selling verion yet, so I guess by your flawed logic your point is disproven (Note: I don't actually believe this, I'm just pointing out the glaring holes in your thought process).

See here's the thing about me having to prove you wrong. It's a logical fallacy to expect anyone to prove a negative. You can't prove that we do not live in the matrix. You cannot prove god doesn't exist. I can't prove that Tomodachi Life's success isn't a result of featuring Miis the same way I can't prove Splatoon's success isn't a result of featuring Squid people. You asserted that the success of Tomodachi Life is based on the popularity of Miis, therefore the onus is on you to prove that is true. And this should go without saying, but marketing campaigns are in no way any type of proof that the success of the game has anything to do with the game featuring Miis and not any other type of generic customizable avatar.

Right now you have no point end of, you're just making noise but not saying anything of relevance as seen in your attempt to side step backing your own views, I can comfortably point to the marketing campaigns and the game's concept to shows Miis are a draw but you have failed to highlight why they're not a draw in any shape or form what so ever and instead are post walls of text that repeat already shot down logic. I've even given you an example of you moving goalposts with your laughable attempts at trying to downplay sales despite the fact that 4m sales in any gen is a higher number of sales then the majority of titles.

Again these are things you have no counter in your argument at all to, whats ironic is that you yourself are guilty of your own accusation with your claims that the games didn't sell because of what ever hence why you've resorted to insults, you've not provided an a reason for TL's success and only want to say it's not because of Miis while fuming. Tomodachi Life isn't even the only game of it's type on 3DS hell even the Sims 3 is on 3DS but only TL sold well adding more evidence of the appeal of Miis.

Here's your situation a game built and designed around Miis like it's predecessor, marketed as well with Miis as a main feature in the adverts and marketing campaign and in regards to the type of game it is the are others of the same genre on the platform but on it has sold 4m (more then the others combined) and is a new IP essentially as well. This contradicts you on Miis especially as you were arguing about their lack of appeal for Miitomo yet a new IP which they were the main feature in the marketing says otherwise. it's a tough pill for you to swallow but that's how it is.