By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Is "Miitomo" a good idea?

Is Miitomo a good idea?

Yes, because... 115 53.49%

No, because... 99 46.05%

Total:214

Miitomo is the first investment in the mobile market by Nintendo. But, for the first incursion in a new market, it could be dissapointing to some, and even more if it's delayed. Stock doesn't lie, as it went down for both Nintendo and DeNa the moment they announce the new app and its delay.

The app (not game) can generate mixed feelings. But there's potential. Why? Because Miitomo looks like an expansion of a social network, like Miiverse. They are basically expanding their game universe to mobiles. The main point in this new adventure is to show mobile users that videogames deserves also their attention. Great experiences can be found in videogame devices, not only tablets and smartphones.

It will give us interaction with other people, like other social networks/apps like Facebook or Twitter. But, will be linked to our videogame hobby. We can interact with our 3DS or Wii U friends in way different than only playing games like Splatoon or Mario Kart. We can even meet new players in our city that could never find before.

Unfortunately, not everything is good. To make it a functional app to the mobile market, mobile users needs to interact and play games, but they are not going to buy devices like 3DS and Wii U that are on its way out. Imagine interacting a good new friend and saying: "let's go play some Mario Kart!" and then the response is: "sorry, I don't have a 3DS or Wii U, and I'm not going to buy one".

In cases like that, this app needs it's own simple but adictive games that both of them can play. For example, a Dr. Mario showdown.

Not enough good?
Play this:

On the other hand, let's remember that investors focus on $$$, and so far we don't know exactly how this social app can generate a lot of profits. Games like these examples can be a good revenue stream for this new social app. Not to difficult to develop, and I can keep the interest in people because let's be honest, we are not going to buy a lot of costumes or hats to dress our Miis.

So, what do you think? Is Miitomo a good idea or not? Share your feelings.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

Around the Network

No because I don't think it even qualities as a game. More like an app helping people with social anxiety than anything.

Also, if that IS the only F2P game then imo it's a missed opportunity since casuals prefer those than the cheap pay to start/own games.

Nope because it probably has some big features tied to NX so it'll launch without the console it works the most with...

I don't know what to think of it. As a minigame hub, it could make a decent amount of money, which is good. As a social app, I'm afraid it will attract some unwanted problems. Wasn't that Nintendo Mail app for the 3DS cancelled because some people tried using it with ilegal intentions with little kids?

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I think it will do well where they wanted it to do well (Japan)

Around the Network
WhiteEaglePL said:
No because I don't think it even qualities as a game. More like an app helping people with social anxiety than anything.

Also, if that IS the only F2P game then imo it's a missed opportunity since casuals prefer those than the cheap pay to start/own games.

Maybe they will develop other F2P games in the future. But yes, it is dissapointing in some ways.

Let's see if new info in the future change our perception, for better or worse.

Luke888 said:
Nope because it probably has some big features tied to NX so it'll launch without the console it works the most with...

Forgot to mention on the OP but that's another point that needs to look for. Maybe Miitomo is a good idea but at a bad timing. Releasing alongside the NX could be a better opportunity. Interacting with other players willing to buy new hardware is better than now.

Stocks went down because of the delay not because of Miitomo, the Stock Market moves on speculation and many were planning to cash in on the apps release this year. I don't think people get the idea behind Miitomo, you're expressing the view that Miitomo should bring mobile users over to dedicated platforms when it's a case that mobile is now a platform Nintendo is catering to, whether apps or games.

Miitomo only needs to get someone to open an account and that's it, if some people migrate from mobile that's great but it's not there to sell them the 3DS or what ever it's there to promote the My Nintendo service which will be the company's IOS.

No, it's a terrible idea and yes, the stocks went down not just because of the delay but because it looks terrible. DeNA's stock went down even more.

It looks like an absolute waste. NOBODY wanted it.

VitroBahllee said:
No, it's a terrible idea and yes, the stocks went down not just because of the delay but because it looks terrible. DeNA's stock went down even more.

It looks like an absolute waste. NOBODY wanted it.

Well, at least fits with Nintendo and all those games we never asked for!