By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Halo 5: Guardians Metacritic/review thread - Currently at 84 Meta

Tagged games:

Mario Kart is still simple multiplayer fun, but with a weak SP and really no chatting online is a real downer. Cause Mario Kart without all the cursing isn't even half the fun. :-p

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:
Aerys said:

You misunderstood, i mean Halo without split screen kills a lot of fun of Halo, it's a full important part of Halo games they removed

Its like Mario Kart without split screen, reviews would kill it for removing that.

And yeah im a big fan of split screen, that's why i dislike most FPS since years, no FPS will be as much fun as TimeSplitters 2, rip splitscreen

Mario Kart is a shallow product even with split screen. That series keeps getting great scores with virtually the same gameplay.

You couldn't remove split screen from Mario Kart because that's all it is. Playing Mario Kart in a single screen makes you realize how fucking boring Mario Kart is. Halo 5 on the other hand is still a great product and offers a lot even without split screen.

And I'll tell you this, I've spent more time with Halo 5's campaign than ALL the Mario Kart campaigns combined. :-p

I agree for Mario Kart, i miss the days of Double Dash, the only episode that took real risks and made something really fun, since that one, mario kart is kinda boring, the charm is gone

Predictions for end of 2014 HW sales:

PS4: 17m   XB1: 10m    WiiU: 10m   Vita: 10m

captain carot said:
Mario Kart is still simple multiplayer fun, but with a weak SP and really no chatting online is a real downer. Cause Mario Kart without all the cursing isn't even half the fun. :-p

Yeah, Mario Kart is a relatively simple fun game. Its a very polished product, but it doesen't offer much content and the series hasn't felt fresh since the N64. Regardless we see millions lose their shit over it... the same damn game now with 7th gen graphics.

Yet something like Halo 5 comes along and actually does unique things and offers an enjoyable campaign. But wait... no local multiplayer?!?! 5/10!

It just shows some critics create arbitrary expectations.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Yes. 5/10 is definitely underrated. And for a professional reviewer the whole content should count.

There's other things too. Halo 5 offers a great MP. Even if the campaign was bad, is it fair to rate it worse than a game with equally good MP but no campaign?

tokilamockingbrd said:
MoHasanie said:

Seems fair to me. I personally rate it 7.5/10 and I've never rated a Halo game below 9 before. 

would you say that Halo has come back to the pack? At one point it was a god game (When Halo 2 released it was so far ahead of the next best FPS it was kinda sad really). Now Halo is just another rock solid franchise?

Yes, I think so. The campaign was very average with a forgettable story like most FPS games. And the multiplayer is fun but not significantly better than COD or Destiny. 

NNID: FrequentFlyer54

Around the Network
MoHasanie said:
tokilamockingbrd said:

would you say that Halo has come back to the pack? At one point it was a god game (When Halo 2 released it was so far ahead of the next best FPS it was kinda sad really). Now Halo is just another rock solid franchise?

Yes, I think so. The campaign was very average with a forgettable story like most FPS games. And the multiplayer is fun but not significantly better than COD or Destiny. 

thanks for the straight answer.  What could they even do to get it back where it was? Change too much and its not Halo and you anger alot of people, keep on course and continue the slow decline.

Personally I think they should go back to the drawing board. Go all in for Halo 6. Make it the next Goldeneye, Halo 1 or CoD4 that redifines what we think a FPS should be. Its risky. But I think it needs to happen.

psn- tokila

add me, the more the merrier.

They can keep a lot of things they have achieved with Halo 5. Removing armour abilities we had in Reach and 4 but giving the standard sprint and the boost was one of the right things.

And it really is a mixed bag of complaints Halo 5 gets at the moment. Some don't want any real change at all, they'd rather have Halo like it was eight years ago.
Some only criticize the weak spots, ignoring the strenghts.

tokilamockingbrd said:
MoHasanie said:

thanks for the straight answer.  What could they even do to get it back where it was? Change too much and its not Halo and you anger alot of people, keep on course and continue the slow decline.

Personally I think they should go back to the drawing board. Go all in for Halo 6. Make it the next Goldeneye, Halo 1 or CoD4 that redifines what we think a FPS should be. Its risky. But I think it needs to happen.

I think it was easy to redefine the FPS when there weren't a hundred studios making big budget FPS games. Halo 5 was a return to the basics in some ways. The level design is more simplistic and many of the abilities are now gone. What really makes Halo 5 feel fresh is the way the players can move around. Frankly, its a great balanced experience only Halo seems to offer.

If the campaign were longer and the game offered split screen there would be less to complain about. But people would still exagerate the impact micro transactions.

If you look at sales of other mega popular IPs, they have also declined. Including CoD, BF, AC, GT, etc. Mario games go up and down based on the success of the platform. Even if MS attempted something drastically different I don't think there is a guarantee is would stimulate sales in a significant or positive way. I feel Halo 4 was amazing, maybe the best in the series, but people seem to think it ruined the IP. You can't please everyone.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

Some people, though pretty loud ones say Halo 4 ruined the franchise. The same ones say MP sucked and no one wants to play it. But Halo 4 isn't only still played on Xbox 360, Halo levels are often chosen by MCC players. Isn't that a bit strange if no one likes it?
About microtransactions: You don't need to pay money. And actually warzone is the only game mode where you need REQ's at all. That's actually much ado about nothing.

On the other hand there's the campaign. In some ways it's more typical Halo than Halo 4 was. In others it's not. I'm not saying it's perfect. The campaign is good but not great because of multiple reasons. But complaining about everything is outright stupid. There's enough to criticize, but not to complain about everything.
And yes, splitscreen. That one really is an issue. Because splitscreen MP and coop always was somewhat of a Halo gold standard.

I think the MP is fine, it just hasn't changed a whole lot, it simply isn't my goto mp shooter. The campaign was a snoozer in 4 and still is in 5, split screen made the campaigns for me in Halo 1 and 2, so that isn't much of a surprise. Halo solo has this innate ability to make me fall asleep these days (FWIW, so does Mario Kart, both solo and multi).