By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Can someone explain Fallout 3 to me please...

Exploration, and I like the atmosphere. Little things like finding a working text adventure running on an old terminal in an abandoned building make the game for me. I like empty space in open world games. There's no satisfaction in finding something if you don't have to look and get bombarded with distractions all the time.

Around the Network

You're not alone. Personally, I find Fallout to be incredibly janky, and not a satisfying experience. However, I respect its popularity despite my deep hatred for Bethesda releasing unfinished games; which Fallout 4 will be.

I bought this game on the back of all the excitement and hype and my friends going batshit crazy. I got a good deal (got the lunchbox edition for £20 due to a pricing error at GAME), but I tried playing it and got real bored real fast.

In all fairness, it was my first ever experience of such game. I hadn't played Oblivion or anything else similar and once I was left out to wonder the world on my own, I just didn't know where to go and what to do. The map was empty and I just spent walking around aimlessly for ages, killing things and picking stuff up and not knowing what to do with things. In the end, the lack of direction and very little progression between walking, killing and story put me off.

My experience with it was so bad, I refused to get Skyrim. However, eventually when I did get it (my friend bought it for me), I actually enjoyed it and was able to play through the entire game without a problem and sank in more hours than I thought I would have.

Now with Fallout 4 releasing, I'm unsure whether to invest in it or not a I have no idea whether my Fallout 3 experience was due to the lack of experience in that genre or whether it was just the way the game was designed.

Fei-Hung said:
I bought this game on the back of all the excitement and hype and my friends going batshit crazy. I got a good deal (got the lunchbox edition for £20 due to a pricing error at GAME), but I tried playing it and got real bored real fast.

In all fairness, it was my first ever experience of such game. I hadn't played Oblivion or anything else similar and once I was left out to wonder the world on my own, I just didn't know where to go and what to do. The map was empty and I just spent walking around aimlessly for ages, killing things and picking stuff up and not knowing what to do with things. In the end, the lack of direction and very little progression between walking, killing and story put me off.

My experience with it was so bad, I refused to get Skyrim. However, eventually when I did get it (my friend bought it for me), I actually enjoyed it and was able to play through the entire game without a problem and sank in more hours than I thought I would have.

Now with Fallout 4 releasing, I'm unsure whether to invest in it or not a I have no idea whether my Fallout 3 experience was due to the lack of experience in that genre or whether it was just the way the game was designed.

That's the thing, I really enjoyed Oblivion, I just couldn't get over how much of Fallout was done poorly.

Bet with Adamblaziken:

I bet that on launch the Nintendo Switch will have no built in in-game voice chat. He bets that it will. The winner gets six months of avatar control over the other user.

A friend gave it to me for my birthday. I tried it once and got bored hours in. Tried it a second time months later, trying for a melee build (little did I know...). And that was it.

Around the Network

IMO, it's the Wasteland setting that made Fallout 3 so popular, given that game itself is both much weaker than previous TES games and especially Fallout 1/2. But if you're someone who likes open-world RPGs, it was a decent game.

I fairly liked it, though it's but a shadow of original Fallouts, and it can barely be called Fallout game at all - but, tbh, I can't blame Bethesda much, I really think they've tried their best, they're just not capable of doing much better, even Morrowind, arguably best game they ever made, is severely lacking when it comes to story and characters, and that's what original Fallouts were all about.

I can't say I expect much from Fallout 4, given they're doing it by themselves and not with Obsidian, but I will play it nevertheless - good WRPGs are rare these days (thankfully, revival of cRPGs is filling that void), so anything half-decent is on my list.

Fallout 3 is a game I really wanted to like, I bought the GOTY edition with all the DLC and every time I tried to play the game I'd fall asleep within 1-2 hours, I just couldn't stay awake. The only game to bore me to sleep on every single attempt.

Glad to know I'm not h only one who really didn't like this game

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

For me it's the best game of last gen.

The atmosphere, story (main+side missions), mature themes, choices that actually matter and thus can change quests and with them the whole game (something Telltale will never manage to do), creative loot, absolute freedom, VATS, tons of content, excellent mini games (hacking and lockpicking), various enemy types etc.

It was simply addicting as any good RPG should be.

Last edited by OttoniBastos - on 17 June 2019