By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - What's wrong with being a fanboy?

It's already been said, but the word itself really has a negative connotation. It's more than the sum of its parts, or its strict definition, but that's mostly because it's jargon in the first place. You might as well argue why being a bastard isn't always a bad thing, since it only means you were born through parents out of wedlock, or why being a female dog can be endearing in the right context. I'm fairly sure most people who use the terms aren't considering the actual definitions of the words.

NNID: Zephyr25 / PSN: Zephyr--25 / Switch: SW-4450-3680-7334

Around the Network

Liking, following, and supporting something is fine.

Borderline worshiping something and working as an unpaid spin doctor for it is not. Youtube is filled with these dishonest wierdos, both those who hide it and those who flaunt it, and all of them have followers who seem to just eat up their lies, excuses, "reviews," and predictions.

Because like some hardcore games they seem to say some delusional stuff. People do not want to hear nonsense.

Tag:I'm not bias towards Nintendo. You just think that way (Admin note - it's "biased".  Not "bias")
(killeryoshis note - Who put that there ?)
Switch is 9th generation. Everyone else is playing on last gen systems! UPDATE: This is no longer true

Biggest pikmin fan on VGchartz I won from a voting poll
I am not a nerd. I am enthusiast.  EN-THU-SI-AST!
Do Not Click here or else I will call on the eye of shinning justice on you. 

I think one big problem with with fanboys is that they do themselves a disservice. By being blindly devoted to a single company or brand, they miss out on so many great games. I'm not talking about kids who are 13 and 14. I'm talking about 20 something year olds who can easily afford more than one console and would have no issues buying more than one if they all had the same brand name.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Being a fan is OK. Being a fanboy is not, because you become blind to things you don't want to see and you start seeing things that aren't there. In English, everything a company does seems better than it is and conversely, everything the others do seems worse than it is.

Around the Network

There's a difference between passionate fan and fanboy. 'Fanboys' are biased in everything they say and do, to the point of delusion. Hard to distinguish between them and trolls sometimes, that's how bad it gets. Thankfully on here the severe ones get banned, or at least called out by others.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

pokoko said:
Willful ignorance is not something I can respect. Hating a product from a rival company that you'd love if was produced by your favorite company or loving a product from your favorite company that you'd hate if it came from rival company are kind of silly. I disregard the opinions of people like that.

This.   

A fanboy don't respect any other opinions it's a blind person who care more about an product or celebrity then himself

PS4 - over 100 millions let's say 120m
Xbox One - 70m
Wii U - 25m

Vita - 15m if it will not get Final Fantasy Kingdoms Heart and Monster Hunter 20m otherwise
3DS - 80m

foodfather said:
On an individual to individual basis, absolutely nothing.

I'm an xbox fanboy because Xbox was my first console, and I only have time/ money to primarily buy games on one system, end of story.

However, unfortunately, fanboy culture has overtaken the media / journalism industry. Just take a lot at how ridiculously inflated reviews for Apple devices are compared to MicrosoftS, HTC, Nexus etc.

Its even worse on the movie and videogames front. Just look at how many blind 10/10 scores MSG5 got. Fueled with nothing but fanboyism.

The fanboy culture and overhype culture is whats really putting me off popculture at the moment.

I have zero interest was watch movies when they release in the cinema and rather wait for hype to die down and form my own opinion, you know cause fanboy opinions/propaganda is contagious as fuck.... and that brings me on to the next issue... social media... but thats for another thread I guess.

Yeah the entire gaming media are cult followers of the Kojiminati lol what a coincedence

I personally don't like the word fanboy. I like the word preference. just me though.