By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unverified dev guesses: NX might more powerful than PS4/XBONE, based on a PC demo...

Even if this were true, I wouldn't get too excited. The PS4 and Xbox One aren't exactly impressive, even when those systems were new. It's not a criticism. I understand why they were they way they were, but if Nintendo plans to release something that's $400 or less and wants to with break even or take a very minimal loss, what they're going to be putting out in 2016 or 2017 probably won't be that impressive. The days of taking a major loss on console hardware for several years are over with.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Around the Network

Not the most reliable site.

As long as there isn't some forced second screen or gimmick that's necessary for the system to run or play its games.

Lube Me Up

jlmurph2 said:
It would be pretty embarrassing if it wasn't.

I disagree, I don't feel Nintendo should focus on power. Nintendo can't compete with MS or Sony at a high or higher price.

Recently Completed
River City: Rival Showdown
for 3DS (3/5) - River City: Tokyo Rumble for 3DS (4/5) - Zelda: BotW for Wii U (5/5) - Zelda: BotW for Switch (5/5) - Zelda: Link's Awakening for Switch (4/5) - Rage 2 for X1X (4/5) - Rage for 360 (3/5) - Streets of Rage 4 for X1/PC (4/5) - Gears 5 for X1X (5/5) - Mortal Kombat 11 for X1X (5/5) - Doom 64 for N64 (emulator) (3/5) - Crackdown 3 for X1S/X1X (4/5) - Infinity Blade III - for iPad 4 (3/5) - Infinity Blade II - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Infinity Blade - for iPad 4 (4/5) - Wolfenstein: The Old Blood for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Origins for X1 (3/5) - Uncharted: Lost Legacy for PS4 (4/5) - EA UFC 3 for X1 (4/5) - Doom for X1 (4/5) - Titanfall 2 for X1 (4/5) - Super Mario 3D World for Wii U (4/5) - South Park: The Stick of Truth for X1 BC (4/5) - Call of Duty: WWII for X1 (4/5) -Wolfenstein II for X1 - (4/5) - Dead or Alive: Dimensions for 3DS (4/5) - Marvel vs Capcom: Infinite for X1 (3/5) - Halo Wars 2 for X1/PC (4/5) - Halo Wars: DE for X1 (4/5) - Tekken 7 for X1 (4/5) - Injustice 2 for X1 (4/5) - Yakuza 5 for PS3 (3/5) - Battlefield 1 (Campaign) for X1 (3/5) - Assassin's Creed: Syndicate for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare for X1 (4/5) - Call of Duty: MW Remastered for X1 (4/5) - Donkey Kong Country Returns for 3DS (4/5) - Forza Horizon 3 for X1 (5/5)

bowserthedog said:

Industry leading to me means compared to ps4 and xbone which are strong last gen pc's and nowhere near cutting edge.  The xbone is already being sold fr 249.99 a year before nx launch and they have some extra expenses like a disc drive and unneeded ports like hdmi in. Nx could easily big 50% more powerfull than that for 399.99.  Mathematically speaking it is very plausable but whether nintendo does it is yet to be confirmed.  50% more powerfull is nothing. that's like going for gamecube to wii.

Industry leading will simply mean that the manufacturer of the processor/apu is an industry leading manufacturer. And you are comparing special offer prices. The Xbox one is not officially priced at $249.99

bowserthedog said:
Tachikoma said:

It has nothing to do with how vetted the information is, its false information.

As I have stated already, NX sdk hasn't even been shipped. And unless Nintendo plan on selling a $600+ console or taking a major loss per unit, the NX will at-best, be roughly the same spec as ps4, at-worst, just below Xbox one.

I don't respond to one person's random speculation. I only react to leaks. And without a disc drive and 150 dollars more in retail cost than xbone and one year into the future it could easily be 50% more powerfull. That's not a big leap.

50% more powerful IS a big leap, as for the Xbox one, you are comparing launch price WITH kinect, to sale price WITHOUT kinect.

Even beyond the issues with finding more powerful hardware you end up with something that would have twice the TDP of the ps4, and Nintendo have never, in their history, gone for hardware that uses high power consumption, they are unlikely to start here.

Around the Network
Tachikoma said:
bowserthedog said:

Industry leading to me means compared to ps4 and xbone which are strong last gen pc's and nowhere near cutting edge.  The xbone is already being sold fr 249.99 a year before nx launch and they have some extra expenses like a disc drive and unneeded ports like hdmi in. Nx could easily big 50% more powerfull than that for 399.99.  Mathematically speaking it is very plausable but whether nintendo does it is yet to be confirmed.  50% more powerfull is nothing. that's like going for gamecube to wii.

Industry leading will simply mean that the manufacturer of the processor/apu is an industry leading manufacturer. And you are comparing special offer prices. The Xbox one is not officially priced at $249.99

bowserthedog said:
Tachikoma said:

It has nothing to do with how vetted the information is, its false information.

As I have stated already, NX sdk hasn't even been shipped. And unless Nintendo plan on selling a $600+ console or taking a major loss per unit, the NX will at-best, be roughly the same spec as ps4, at-worst, just below Xbox one.

I don't respond to one person's random speculation. I only react to leaks. And without a disc drive and 150 dollars more in retail cost than xbone and one year into the future it could easily be 50% more powerfull. That's not a big leap.

50% more powerful IS a big leap, as for the Xbox one, you are comparing launch price WITH kinect, to sale price WITHOUT kinect.

Even beyond the issues with finding more powerful hardware you end up with something that would have twice the TDP of the ps4, and Nintendo have never, in their history, gone for hardware that uses high power consumption, they are unlikely to start here.

They could use AMD’s latest technologies. 3D stacked High-Bandwidth Memory or HBM for short, Processor-in-Memory or PIM for short and advanced 14nm FinFET manufacturing process.

craighopkins said:

They could use AMD’s latest technologies. 3D stacked High-Bandwidth Memory or HBM for short, Processor-in-Memory or PIM for short and advanced 14nm FinFET manufacturing process.

FinFET and HBM are, thus far according to AMD's own roadmaps slated only for their GPU range, the only known/rumored implamentation of HDM on an APU is the rumored 16 core Zen APU which does not use 3D stacked HBM but instead psuedo 2.5D staking memory off to the side of the CPU/GPU die, that rumor never came to fruition and has been completely ignored on every AMD presentation and roadmap since, suggesting strongly that the 16 core variation was either made up or a scrapped internal project.

But lets pretend it wasn't and they made them, given that the NX would likely be the first hardware to ship with them, just how much do you honestly believe AMD would sell their cutting edge APU's for?, because i'd argue that the price they would be asking for them would be easilly outside of the budget Nintendo would be willing to pay, especially since AMD would likely want Nintendo to foot part of the bill for the initial mass production costs and testing.

If Nintendo wanted HBM and FinFET in NX it would need to be seperate CPU/GPU, which is inherantly higher cost than an APU, and for the specs people are parading around lately, would mean even higher BOM for the retail unit.

Even still, faster memory would make little difference if the GPU and CPU were not powerful enough to take advantage of it, and the APU options for achieving that just arent here yet - maybe in another 3-5 years, a hack job solution would of course handle it but would introduce high price, high temperature and high power consumption.

So no, either the console is astronomically priced or they "could not".

I expect the nx to slightly out do the xboxone and PS4. 50% more powerful not likely. Just my guess though

Nintendo should release a fusion console at $400. This includes a home console and a handheld (which functions as a controller for the HC).

HH and HC play the same games, but you get a boost in graphics power when you play it on the TV. You can buy the HC and HH seperatly (although it should be slightly cheaper in total cost if you buy the fusion bundle). The HC bundle without the HH controller would get a traditional controller instead.

Let's say $250- $300 HC and $150- $200 HH (so you save $50 if you buy the fusion bundle). The fusion bundle doesn't come with a traditional controller to keep the price cheaper.

Mr Puggsly said:
jlmurph2 said:
It would be pretty embarrassing if it wasn't.

I disagree, I don't feel Nintendo should focus on power. Nintendo can't compete with MS or Sony at a high or higher price.

This is a 9th gen console though. Why would they go and make it weaker than 8th gen??