By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Unverified dev guesses: NX might more powerful than PS4/XBONE, based on a PC demo...

One other thing. If NX wants to be 9th gen system it better be powerful than PS4. Otherwise it will be a 8th gen system.

Around the Network
Samus Aran said:
JWeinCom said:
midrange said:

If it's more powerful than the ps4, third parties will start there and work down to ps4/xbone, a plus for the NX. With Nintendo having full knowledge of their own hardware, they could probably whip up one or two blockbusters that can really take up marketshare from the ps4/xbox one, leading to more third party support. Finally, with proper marketing and a loss lead mentality, Nintendo can really make a come back for their image and regain people's fascination (this helps beyond gaming, like when trying to convince people to go to a Nintendo themed theme park, or buying Nintendo merchandise).

All of this assumes a heavy investment in power (not over the top pc setup, but noticeably better than the ps4/xbox one)

No, they won't.  Third parties are not going to start their work on an unproven system.  It's not worth putting in the extra effort unless they think the game will sell well on the NX.

Nintendo has not shown the ability to make blockbusters that will win over the types of gamers that the PS4 and XBox One sell to.  They're simply not great at creating shooters or cinematic action games. 

Nintendo regaining people's fascination doesn't require the system to be more powerful than the PS4.  The price will offset the benefit, unless they want to take a huge hit on their profits, and that probably wouldn't be a good idea.

They just made a shooter that will sell 3 million + on the freaking Wii U lol.

Yeah yeah.  Fair enough, but I think it's clear why I wouldn't immediately think of Splatoon in the same class as Call of Duty or Halo.  It's not the kind of game that's going to drag people away from Call of duty.

daredevil.shark said:
One other thing. If NX wants to be 9th gen system it better be powerful than PS4. Otherwise it will be a 8th gen system.

Not only is that not at all how generations work, I don't think the NX is trying to an any generation system.

daredevil.shark said:

Not really how it works, Nintendo already has a 8th gen system bruhh. Regardless of power it'll be "next gen".

JWeinCom said:
chakkra said:

You gotta remember that Nintendo is gonna try to attract new consumers to buy its product. I mean, the 20 million people who will probably have bought the Wii U by then, will most certainly also buy a NX.  But I assume that Nintendo doesnt wan't just 20m buyers for their next console, so they're gonna go after the tens of millions that decided to opt for one of the other options in the market on this gen.  Now how they do that? well, it is really hard to say but reading the constant fights on forums about resolutions, frames per second, and which console is more powerfull..  I think it is safe to conclude that this generation of gamers have something in common. And that is that they want POWER.

Let's imagine for a second a METROID game with better graphics (and with good multiplayer options) than Destiny and Halo 5. Now that's a game that could attract lots of FPS lovers from the other farms.  And what about an open world Zelda game as big as the Witcher 3?   man...

See, these are the kinds of "experiences" that apparently this generation of gamers want, so I think that's what they should give.  Unless they want to cater only to their current fanbase.  In which case, well..

It is not safe at all to assume that people want POWER.

Power has consistently been a non-factor in the mass market.  Weaker systems have consistently outsold more powerful ones.  This is the first generation in a while where the most powerful console is the best selling.  The kinds of gamers on these forums are not a random sample of gamers.  Is Call of Duty really that popular on VGChartz and sites like it?

We could imagine a Metroid game with better graphics than Destiny and Halo 5 with great multiplayer, but we're unlikely to see such a game.  Consider that Bungie has 500 people working on Destiny as of the middle of 2014.  Retro Studios, the most likely company to make such a Metroid game, has about 200 employees.  And that's not to mention the budget.  Just making a more powerful system isn't necessarily going to mean the game will look better.

There is nothing stopping Nintendo from making a Zelda game as big as the Witcher 3 with Wii U hardware if they really wanted.  Wouldn't look as smooth, but it's possible.

And if they could make these games, I don't think it would bring Nintendo to prominence.  They're not going to become successful by out PS4ing the PS4.  If they try to attack the same market three years behind, that's not going to be a winning strategy.

But when systems launch at the same time i think power matters a lot more. Of coarse the xbox 360 did well and the ps2 did well but they had the major advantage of launching before their counterparts.  In the case of Nintendo they need a powerfull system so porting 3rd party games to it is easy. Like porting games to steam even though steam doesn't have huge sales numbers. Dev's do it because it's cheap. Nintendo needs to make it cheap and easy or dev's won't bother just to get an extra 500k in sales.

Around the Network
jlmurph2 said:
It would be pretty embarrassing if it wasn't.

Nintendo doesnt get embarrassed 

spemanig said:
daredevil.shark said:

Not only is that not at all how generations work, I don't think the NX is trying to an any generation system.

Many say Nintendo doenst need to complete with other systems. They dont need third party. They dont need power. They dont need generation system. Lol. You know the inevitable truth. But if it puts you at ease I wont bother you.

daredevil.shark said:

nope

daredevil.shark said:

Many say Nintendo doenst need to complete with other systems. They dont need third party. They dont need power. They dont need generation system. Lol. You know the inevitable truth. But if it puts you at ease I wont bother you.

That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying the concept of generations is becoming outdated, and the NX won't fit any generation because of the kind of platform it is, like how PC isn't generational.

I don't care if Nintendo NX runs all games at 1080p and 60 fps. Nintendo needs to upgrade their online network. For god sakes, there were things I can do with the original xbox that I can't do on the Wii U.