By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - Which 360 SKU to buy?

Do what Dolla Dolla said and hold out for a while and see whether the 60gb is real.

There are a few factors to take into consideration like the fact that the 360 games take up hardly any space compared to the PS3. However, you can download original Xbox games off of Xbox Live, and they can get quite big. Also, if you're looking for HDMI, then you'd be a fan of HD content, HD movies can be as big a 7-8gb off XBL.

Also bearing in mind that with the 20gb model, you don't actually get the 20gb model. Everybody I know of who has the 20gb HDD (including myself) can only use 13gb of it. The other 7gb is already being used up by something.

You can always buy an arcade, in which you'll get a free 256mb memory stick. Pick up a HDD later when you're ready to go online - and the HDD addon may have came down in price. (if, of course, you're not planning on getting live straight away).

Around the Network
SamuelRSmith said:
Do what Dolla Dolla said and hold out for a while and see whether the 60gb is real.

There are a few factors to take into consideration like the fact that the 360 games take up hardly any space compared to the PS3. However, you can download original Xbox games off of Xbox Live, and they can get quite big. Also, if you're looking for HDMI, then you'd be a fan of HD content, HD movies can be as big a 7-8gb off XBL.

Also bearing in mind that with the 20gb model, you don't actually get the 20gb model. Everybody I know of who has the 20gb HDD (including myself) can only use 13gb of it. The other 7gb is already being used up by something.

You can always buy an arcade, in which you'll get a free 256mb memory stick. Pick up a HDD later when you're ready to go online - and the HDD addon may have came down in price. (if, of course, you're not planning on getting live straight away).

HD movies on LIVE are usually in the 2-4GB range and  only last 14 days or 24 hours after you first play the video. So vdeos get constantly deleted.

Plus the fact I doubt seeing someone consistently spending $3 for a 24 hour SD movie rental or $6 for a 24 hour HD movie rental, that is like throwing money away. Unless he intends to load the thing up with DivX files there is really no point at all in purchasing an Elite. HDD space is nowhere near as important on a 360 as it is with the PS3.

I think we need to know exactly what the TC intends to use it for. If he wants it only for gaming, nobody here should be recommending an Elite.

iPhone = Great gaming device. Don't agree? Who cares, because you're wrong.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

Got a retro room? Post it here!

I got the Premium it's cheaper and if it really comes does to it i will just go out and buy a new hard drive or memory sticks. But you may save money with the Elite overtime.

@Euphoria, I actually have no clue how much burnout takes up, but I've read numerous times that if you don't have the hard drive, you can't transition to the online :/

From 0 to KICKASS in .stupid seconds.

I have premium and wish I had the extra 100gb. It only takes a few demos, a bit of DLC and some arcade downloads and it soon fills up. Although it says 20gb, it is in fact only 13gb usable space.

Around the Network

Make sure you find a good deal/bundle.

Premium is probably better value but if you can afford the Elite go for it. All 360s should now have HDMI, many online retailers have updated their listings (play.com) to mention HDMI.

How big are xbox live games? I am thinking of getting Fable. Live is something that does interest me, and I am not considering getting the Arcade, so I do definitely need an HDD. However, amazon list the 360 as having an HDMI port (but no cable), although it does not on the product page. However, I don't have an HDTV connected yet, so HD content is no immediately required
However, if I can only use 13GB of space, then I may need the Elite, though in that situation it seems that waiting for the 60GB one is the best thing to do

Munkeh111 said:
How big are xbox live games? I am thinking of getting Fable. Live is something that does interest me, and I am not considering getting the Arcade, so I do definitely need an HDD. However, amazon list the 360 as having an HDMI port (but no cable), although it does not on the product page. However, I don't have an HDTV connected yet, so HD content is no immediately required
However, if I can only use 13GB of space, then I may need the Elite, though in that situation it seems that waiting for the 60GB one is the best thing to do

I believe Fable is already BC with the 360. You can grab a disc copy for alot less than the 1200MS points it will cost you to download it.

$500 MS points for me in the US comes out to $7 and change when you include tax and the ridiculous $1 debit charge MS hits you with. Unless paying over $20 for an old game is no biggie, I guess you could go for the Elite.

Currently playing:

Final Fantasy VI (iOS), Final Fantasy: Record Keeper (iOS) & Dragon Quest V (iOS)     

In terms of bundles, amazon uk are offering exactly the same deals with both Elite and Premium:
£10 off
a leading game for £20 (including AC)
£25 for extra controller, Forza 2 and Viva Pinata

Well, what exactly do you intend on using it for? Any multimedia or just gaming?

Currently playing: