By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - 80% of PS4 Owners Never Played Uncharted, Naughty Dog Says

spemanig said:
That's a silly thing to write an article on. Assuredly 80% of PS3 owners never played uncharted either, which is the only platform those games were on, so obviously it would be lower on the PS4.

What if most of those who bought Uncharted on PS3 have already bought PS4?

They probably made this article based on a trophy list or something, so of course it doesn't correlate 100% to actual reality.

Around the Network

That is such a shame. Hopefully the collection will actually do a number to that percentage.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

-Ack!- said:

What if most of those who bought Uncharted on PS3 have already bought PS4?

They probably made this article based on a trophy list or something, so of course it doesn't correlate 100% to actual reality.

Statistically, that's very unlikely.

Conina said:
SvennoJ said:

All true, but do you really think the marketing department did any real 'research'...

Well, the easiest research for Sony would be searching in the trophy-list of each PSN-account with a registered PS4. How many of these PS4-accounts (a subset of all PSN-accounts) have no PS3-Uncharted-1/2/3-achievements?

That's not the interesting part for the publisher though. They only care about actual (first) sales. The 50% new owners is much more interesting to them. Anyone who has or had a ps3 had plenty of time to try out the series, why would they buy a new copy now if they didn't think the series was worth it the first or second or third time. Yet take the attach ratio for the series on ps3 and apply that to the new ps4 owners and you have a sales forecast.

It's kinda silly to boast how many people didn't like your game :) Though turn it around and they're saying 40% of people that migrated form ps3 to ps4 have played Uncharted, which is indeed easy to check by looking at trophies. That's a rather impressive ratio and since they can also see how many people double dipped on The last of us, that could add up.

Wow this is a huge number!

Around the Network
PwerlvlAmy said:
i dont know if i can believe that

It's not like the math mathematical possibility of way out there on it's own. Plus they probably have plenty of tools for analysis with trophies and psn accounts that would give them a very good ball park figure. With only a few variables that could throw it off. 

People who played only the first before the trophy patch.

People who own a ps3 and or ps4 that never connects to the internet.

People who played under a different account name than the one they have on the ps4. Though none of those are going to be very big and some they know the maximum it could be. 

PwerlvlAmy said:
i dont know if i can believe that

Why not? It's pretty darn likely.

First of all, about 40% of PS4 owners didn't own a PS3, so those are out of the question. That leaves us with about 15 million left. Then you consider these things:

*Many people who have played Uncharted haven't bought PS4s yet

*There aren't *that* many people who have played the Uncharted games to begin with. No game in the series has sold more than 7 million, but if we estimate that 10 million people has, because some people obviously wouldn't buy all the games in the franchise. This would mean half of all Uncharted players would've bought a PS4 now, roughly 5 million.

*Til now, Uncharted fans haven't had a reason to buy PS4s.

Samus Aran said:

PR spin to justify all the remasters.

We all know that most of these remasters will be bought by people who played the original anyway.

The only reason they're making remasters is because they're low effort, cheap to produce and fill in droughts in first party line-up.

Yeah I have to agree with this. This is the same reason most remasters are made by all companies,its  cheap and they know people will rebuy them. Whether Sony does,Microsoft,Square,Nitnendo,etc etc

same reason all around

NND: 0047-7271-7918 | XBL: Nights illusion | PSN: GameNChick

Samus Aran said:
kurasakiichimaru said:
DevilRising said:
I find that pretty hard to believe. They keep trying to put forth this notion that LOTS of people who never played PS3, are buying PS4. And quite frankly, considering how many PS3s eventually wound up out in the wild, I just don't really buy it. MOST of the people who already own PS4, are people who likely owned PS3. Just like MOST people who own an Xbone, likely owned a 360. Not ALL, but most, for sure. I just don't buy these lofty claims of totally new buyers.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/06/17/sony-remasters-serve-the-40-percent-of-ps4-owners-that-didn_2700_t-own-a-playstation-3.aspx

Well 40% is a number almost comparable to a current gen 3rd placer sales so... Can't really say the same is true for xbox one.

PR spin to justify all the remasters.

We all know that most of these remasters will be bought by people who played the original anyway.

The only reason they're making remasters is because they're low effort, cheap to produce and fill in droughts in first party line-up.

And your point is?

I don't even get why you have to go off topic when the discussion is about how the remaster is going to sell to former ps3 and non-ps3 ps4 users.

Im part of the 80%.

I can honestly see Uncharted: The Nathan Drake Collection , doing pretty well sales wise.
And I think it was smart to release it before the upcomeing 4th game, its bound to help push sales of that as well.