By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Will the 3DS sell better in 2016 than in 2015?

Will the 3DS sell better in 2016 than in 2015?

Yes, good known lineup an... 37 32.17%

No, the 3DS peaked a long time ago. 69 60.00%

Namco, bring Digimon 3DS ... 9 7.83%

Total:115
Skullwaker said:
zorg1000 said:
I don't think a bunch of sequels are going to do a whole lot for hardware. The Yokai/MonHun/Pokemon audience is already on 3DS. The lineup looks good but it mostly appeals to the current install base.

Those games always boost hardware, especially in Japan. MH3G, MH4 and MH4G have all boosted the 3DS in Japan, and we can expect the same for X and Stories. Pokemon X/Y and ORAS both boosted the 3DS, and we can expect the same for Z. YW1, YW2, YW2.5 and even the spinoff YWB boosted the 3DS, so we can obviously expect the same for YW3.

Certain games won't make much of a difference after the first entry. But these games are like what Call of Duty is to the west. They will always make a difference.

Yes they cause boosts upon release but with each new installment the impact is lesser. Here are 3DS sales in Japan for each Monster Hunter game.

Monster Hunter 3G-365k

Monster Hunter 4-284k

Monster Hunter 4G-258k

the week of MH4 was less than MH3G despite 3G being a 2 year old port of a Wii game while MH4 was a brand new original entry. The week of MH4G was less than MH4 despite New 3DS releasing the same day.

There is really nothing to suggest 2016 will be better than 2015.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

Around the Network

I don't think it will happen...
Japan has the perfect lineup, but I can't see the West suddenly jumping on...
I can't see a new Fire Emblem installment convincing anyone to get it...
Federation Force certainly isn't going to make it happen...
I would imagine anyone who would get a 3DS for Paper Jam has probably already been convinced by another Mario game...
Same could probably be said for Bravely Second...
Perhaps if Pokemon Z happens...

Have a nice day...

Yeah, for sure. I think 3DS is on its way out and Nintendo will more than compensate for that.

Hardly, but maybe with price cut.

It could, but it won't, because 2016 will be the year of PS Vita resurrection.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Around the Network

Honestly, I don't even think a price cut would do the trick, even if all the models got them across the board and they were all $30. Hate to say it, but the end is near for the 3DS, 2016 is its last ride.

No.

In the west nothing will replicate the sales of the new 3DS hardware release. Most of the late to be localised titles (FF explores, Project X Zone, Bravely 2nd) will do little to nothing for 3DS hardware imo

In Japan 2015 has actually been pretty strong with Yokai Busters, Monster Hunter X, Zelda Majora's Mask, Animal Crossing, Zelda (the other one), Fire Emblem etc. The only big differences is that 2016 will have pokemon Z, I don't think that will be enough to offset the 3DS's natural decline.

Since Nintendo is garunteed to at least show off the NX in 2016 its hard to imagine the 3DS sales not being hurt by an impending replacement with a face and release date.

teigaga said:
No.

In the west nothing will replicate the sales of the new 3DS hardware release. Most of the late to be localised titles (FF explores, Project X Zone, Bravely 2nd) will do little to nothing for 3DS hardware imo

In Japan 2015 has actually been pretty strong with Yokai Busters, Monster Hunter X, Zelda Majora's Mask, Animal Crossing, Zelda (the other one), Fire Emblem etc. The only big differences is that 2016 will have pokemon Z, I don't think that will be enough to offset the 3DS's natural decline.

Since Nintendo is garunteed to at least show off the NX in 2016 its hard to imagine the 3DS sales not being hurt by an impending replacement with a face and release date.

Well, if they do reveal the NX this year, they'll have to make a pricecut if they want to get rid of all od their stock.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

I don't know at all, everything could happen. Pokémon Super Mystery Dungeon this november in North America could do an impact and then in Europe (try to release it before April, Spike Chunsoft). We shouldn't forget Hyrule Warriors Legends, M&L: Paper Jam Bros, Fire Emblem Fates, Metroid Prime: Federation Force, Mario & Sonic at the 2016 olympic games... A new Kirby game that HAL should be developing during at least one year...

Its very difficult to predict... But the system will overcome the 60 million for sure... 65 million has still a chance... 70 million is quite hard actually.

Oh Yes - if they can add a couple of more games tehn sales can be similar to 2015!

Switch!!!