By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the NX released both the handheld and home consoles at the same time...

NX or NXDS?

NX (Home) 85 46.45%

NXDS (Handheld) 39 21.31%

Both at the same time 41 22.40%

Neither ever 18 9.84%

Total:183
Soundwave said:

So they'll be as successful as STEAM without having any of the back library that makes STEAM successful in the first place because ... the user interface (which you are assuming based on nothing) is going to be so wicked amazing? You do realize too that companies like Microsoft and Apple actually invest *billions* of dollars in their OS right? Little Nintendo is going to show them up by investing a fraction of that?

That aside, actually if they want to do the STEAM route, then grow some balls Nintendo and do it. Do it full stop though. 

Make basically a "PC Box" just with your service (instead of Valve's) that has a PC CPU + GPU which can run all existing PC games. Then you easily throw a Wii U chip in there too to ensure backwards compatibility. 

Now you can start a shop on that hardware where developers can take their existing PC games (hundreds and thousands of them) and you can say to them "hey sell this through our store, if it sells through our eShop, we get a $5-$8 cut per download, you have no porting costs, so no downside for you."

THAT would be a legit game changer, because as a developer literally I don't even have to "port" my game to this system. It already works on it, so if some Nintendo fans want to buy it, hey, more sales for me even if its like only 10,000 extra sales. *That* I could see working and that would be a legitimately bold step. Unfortunately like I said, I don't think Nintendo would go there. Maybe they'd flirt with the idea, but then chicken out or get hamstrung by some ass backwards old timers on their board of directors that wouldn't like it because it's not Japanese enough of an idea. 

They're definitely not showing Apple up, but will they show up Win10 on the XBO? Handily.

The library doesn't need to be as big as steam's at launch. It's a console. Launching any console with hundreds of games immediately purchasable from the marketplace is going to blow anything that has ever been done before out of the water in terms of launch games.

They don't need to "grow balls" and do anything like that. Doing what they're going to do with the NX will be doing what no console is doing, and that'll be disruptive enough. They'll find more than enough success on consoles with this. They aren't going the Steam route. They are going the unified platform route, while taking notes from Steam and others that have applicable ideas and practices.

Blah blah unfounded Nintendo PC fantasy backed by nothing.

Around the Network

I actually like the idea of Nintendo becoming like STEAM, but I mean full on like STEAM. Not a half assed compromise with none of the games.

If they got AMD to make a cheap, low cost 14nm equivalent to the Wii U processor (which will probably be like $20 tops) and threw that into a box with a X86 processor + relatively off-the-shelf AMD modern GPU ...

That would theoretically be able to run every single Nintendo and PC game ever made and more importantly every PC game already in development.

That means Nintendo could have thousands of games overnight, because developers wouldn't have to port anything. The games would already work. GTAV? Works. The Witcher III? Works. Metal Gear Solid V? That works. Super Mario Galaxy 2? Works. Mario Kart 8? Works. Splatoon? Works. Day 1. No problem. 

That's kind of a genius idea. Add in that maybe the new 14nm Wii U type chip maybe can also run/emulate Android apps, and the library such a device could have would be staggering.

THAT would be cool. That would be a legit game changer.

No convincing, wrestling third parties to make games for your system, no "wait and see" from developers, their games are already working on the system from day 1. That's brilliant. Then between the console/handheld, since they could use that same Nintendo chip at least they could both share Nintendo games, but the console would have every PC game too (well mostly). 

That would also take a giant shit on the STEAM Box concept since Nintendo could sell their hardware at cost (they'd still make money selling their own games), so no STEAM Box manufacturer would realistically be able to compete on price and they wouldn't have Nintendo games on their box either. 

Soundwave said:

I actually like the idea of Nintendo becoming like STEAM, but I mean full on like STEAM. Not a half assed compromise with none of the games.

If they got AMD to make a cheap, low cost 14nm equivalent to the Wii U processor (which will probably be like $20 tops) and threw that into a box with a X86 processor + relatively off-the-shelf AMD modern GPU ...

That would theoretically be able to run every single Nintendo and PC game ever made and more importantly every PC game already in development.

That means Nintendo could have thousands of games overnight, because developers wouldn't have to port anything. The games would already work.

That's kind of a genius idea. Add in that maybe the new 14nm Wii U type chip maybe can also run/emulate Android apps, and the library such a device could have would be staggering.

No convincing, wrestling third parties to make games for your system, no "wait and see" from developers, their games are already working on the system from day 1. That's brilliant. Then between the console/handheld, since they could use that same Nintendo chip at least they could both share Nintendo games, but the console would have every PC game too (well mostly). 

That would also take a giant shit on the STEAM Box concept since Nintendo could sell their hardware at cost (they'd still make money selling their own games), so no STEAM Box manufacturer would realistically be able to compete on price and they wouldn't have Nintendo games on their box either. 

As much as I love debating with you, (I'm not being sarcastic. You're one of my favorite users here.) we're way off topic.

I would assume the console would have better graphics so for me its a no contest :D

If that's not the case then I might aswell get a handheld because I could play it on the go and you could probably connect it to your big screen anyway.

Nobody's perfect. I aint nobody!!!

Killzone 2. its not a fps. it a FIRST PERSON WAR SIMULATOR!!!! ..The true PLAYSTATION 3 launch date and market dominations is SEP 1st

spemanig said:
Soundwave said:

That means Nintendo could have thousands of games overnight, because developers wouldn't have to port anything. The games would already work.

As much as I love debating with you, (I'm not being sarcastic. You're one of my favorite users here.) we're way off topic.

I'm curious what you think about that idea though. 

Think about it ... 

GTAV, Metal Gear Solid V, The Witcher III, Star Wars Battlefront, NBA 2K, Mario Galaxy, Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Mario Kart 8, etc. etc. etc. 

Playable on day 1. That would be pretty incredible. 

Just take the Wii U chip, make a more modern version of it to 14nm (now the handheld can use this chip too), put that same chip also in the console with a modern CPU + GPU and sell it at roughly cost. 

Is that a game changer for Nintendo? I think so, because it basically bypasses the whole third party question entirely. They'd have virtually every game, a developer would have to basically deny games from them simply out of spite as no porting would really be required.  

Just to shit on Sony/MS Nintendo could just take the GPU that's one or classes up from the HD 7870 that Sony uses in the PS4, lol. I'm sure those are relatively cheap-ish these days. 

It would be a hilarious turn around of the Nintendo-third party conflict dynamic. "You don't want to support us or you want to wait and see how our console does or you don't like our demographics, well turns out since you all develop for PC that we just decided to use a PC chipset. So all your games already run on our new box". Boom. 

Around the Network
Soundwave said

If they got AMD to make a cheap, low cost 14nm equivalent to the Wii U processor (which will probably be like $20 tops) and threw that into a box with a X86 processor + relatively off-the-shelf AMD modern GPU ...That would theoretically be able to run every single Nintendo and PC game ever made and more importantly every PC game already in development.

That means Nintendo could have thousands of games overnight, because developers wouldn't have to port anything. The games would already work. GTAV? Works. The Witcher III? Works. Metal Gear Solid V? That works. Super Mario Galaxy 2? Works. Mario Kart 8? Works. Splatoon? Works. Day 1. No problem. 

That's kind of a genius idea. Add in that maybe the new 14nm Wii U type chip maybe can also run/emulate Android apps, and the library such a device could have would be staggering. THAT would be cool. That would be a legit game changer.

So the Nintendo console and handheld would use Windows + DirectX? Otherwise only a fraction of PC games would run. No GTA V, no Witcher 3, no MGS V, no CoD, no Assassin's Creed, no Tomb Raider, no FIFA...

Conina said:
Soundwave said

If they got AMD to make a cheap, low cost 14nm equivalent to the Wii U processor (which will probably be like $20 tops) and threw that into a box with a X86 processor + relatively off-the-shelf AMD modern GPU ...That would theoretically be able to run every single Nintendo and PC game ever made and more importantly every PC game already in development.

That's kind of a genius idea. Add in that maybe the new 14nm Wii U type chip maybe can also run/emulate Android apps, and the library such a device could have would be staggering. THAT would be cool. That would be a legit game changer.

So the Nintendo console and handheld would use Windows + DirectX? Otherwise only a fraction of PC games would run. No GTA V, no Witcher 3, no MGS V, no CoD, no Assassin's Creed, no Tomb Raider, no FIFA...

Unless they made an OS that allowed for super-easy transfer of Windows games. But it would have to be very easy, as in like one week of work for a developer with maybe 4-5 guys max. Something that even Nintendo themselves could do for free for developers of certain big time titles (consider it a platform investment). 

spemanig said:

I don't need to think anything through. Nintendo will be able to have a new system out every two years because it will have no negative impact on their platform or their audience. It would be absolutely ludacris to do that on platforms like the PS4 and XBO that are so tied to their hardware. If the PS5 and XB2 came out tomorrow, you just fucked over 30m consumers who can't play your next game. When the NX does the same thing, that won't happen, because the platform is completely independant of the hardware. They could release a new hardware skew every day for a year and they'd all be able to play the same game, just at different setting. The PS360 were outdated for years before they got replaced, and were still selling well into the current generation. Nobody cares if they're outdated if devs are still making games for them, which they will, because they'll have no other significant alternative. No one but PC gamers, who will forever be cursed to have their games limited to what consoles far weaker than them can do.

The Wii U was the most poweful console on the market when it released, so if that's what you're getting at, that's a moot point. The 360 was the most powerful console on the market when it released, and then the much weaker Wii destroyed it. Being stronger has absolutely nothing do do with the PS2 selling. If anything, being a cheap DVD player is what sold it. Can't even take your "don't count the Wii" weaseling seriously. Your example works outside of the twenty cases when they don't, but those can't count.

The NX isn't targeted at current PS4 and XBO owners to upgrade. It's targeted at the other 100m who won't have upgraded yet. And most won't care that it's a little weaker, just like all the XBO owners who don't care that the XBO is weaker. It'll be powerful enough to get multiplats, and it'll have the boosted library of first party games. And, well and above all that, it'll have the system selling "smart console" platform ecosystem. People will have plenty of reason to jump onto NX.

I'm gonna repeat it again, very debatable. You can't handwave away Nintendo's IP like they aren't part of their brand. They are. That's like saying Disney isn't a powerful brand if you don't count Marvel and Star Wars and Pirates and Cinderella and Mickey Mouse and The Lion King and... That's stupid. Pokemon isn't a "separate brand." Nintendo owns Pokemon. They own the IP. They own the copyrights for all the species. They own TPC. The only thing they don't own is Gamefreak. The absolutely ridiculous idea that there's even a significant minority of people who don't know that Pokemon or Mario are Nintendo is grounds to end this discussion right here, because now you're flat out making shit up. Gameboy is Nintendo. You're literally making shit up to push your point. Again, Playstation could absolutely never, in its current state, hope to do with it's brand the kinds of thing Nintendo can do with its brand right now, at its lowest point in its history as a gaming publisher. In fact, Playstation, in its highest point in the PS2 era, couldn't hope to do any more than a tiny fraction of what Nintendo can do with its brand right now at its lowest point as a console manufacturer. Playstation World doing better than Nintendo World? Give me a break. An Uncharted movie doing better than a Mario movie? Or a Pokemon movie? Even a lower tier franchise like a Metroid movie? Yeah, right. But I'm sure a Sony line of figurines would absolutely destroy Amiibo. I'm so sure.

I've already explained why it's so revolutionary. Like I said, I don't blame you for not understanding something you've never seen before when you're reading it on an online forum. But on your point of how they're stuck in the stone age with their current UI and OS, they've never tried before. No one in the console space has. No one, especially not Nintendo, has ever tried to change a console platform like this before. But now they want to. Asking how they'll be able to do it when they've never done it before is like asking, pre-Wii era, how they'll be the poineers of motion gaming when motion gaming on the GCN sucks. It's silly. They never even attempted to have a modern, forward thinking OS. Now they are. They've never attempted to have a modern online infrastructure. Now they are. That's why they payed $100m to have a controlling stake in a company who's entire MO is doing this kind of stuff.

Sony will get there. Streaming isn't there yet and PS Now's library will take years upon years before it becomes large enough to be a competing factor. But it will get there, and that's what they'll eventually replace the PS4 with when it does. But that's for another topic. Sony likely didn't go the smart console route because they hadn't thought of it. Or because, given their poor performance with other smart devices they actually tried with, didn't see it as a neccesary risk given how poorly those did. And they were right, obviously, since the competition didn't try it, and the PS4 is selling like a titan. Doesn't mean it can't be done, though, lol. The Blackberry was the Blackberry until there was the iphone. PS Now and this aren't the same thing at all. If anything, PS Now/Gamespy would be nothing more than apps contributing to the bigger idea of a smart console, like Netflix or Spotify on a smart phone.

Your opinion on whether or not it is a revolution is absolutely you own and valid, but Nintendo absolutely is sure that this thing is a revolution. There's no questioning that. Nintendo is 100% confident that this concept will utterly redefine what it means to be a video game console, which is exactly what Apple did when it redefined what it means to be a cellphone with the iPhone.

George Lucas or whatever wasn't even remotely as critical of Nintendo as I am, if he was at all. I have overwhelmingly more bad things to say about them than good. I'm not saying this stuff because I'm some crazed fan - I'm saying it because it's blatantly obvious. And I've been saying the exactly the same kinds of things with Sony and PS Now and Microsoft with Window 10. They are the future of traditional platform gaming, and all three will be massively successful. Playstation is going to make a killing of PS Now absolutely eliminating the need to sell physical consoles anymore, Microsoft have enough brand power to make Steam obsolete with their Windows 10 XBL platform while still appealing to what used to be the traditional console gamer with Steam Machine-like hardware that will actually be successful, and the NX is going propel itself as one of the most foreward thinking consoles ever made. The only reason I bring up the NX more is because, unlike the other two, this thing is coming out next year.

There's no way it's going to be a regular console. That "gut feeling" you have is the countless articles and patents literally confirming that it will not be a regular console. Also, I'm not saying that it won't be more powerful than the PS4. I just am like 80% sure it won't be, because it definitely doesn't need to be, and Nintendo will likely be very happy with the prospects of being "affordable" for the launch NX rather than being more powerful. It'll be "crazy" in that it'll have stuff like a digital only platform and the home console will retain the second screen and the whole firmware focus thing. It just won't be "crazy" in the "you control the game with your feel" kind of way.

But there's absolutely 100% no way in holy hell it's playing every multiplat in 1080p 60fps, not even if it's twice as powerful as the PS4. Put that dream to rest. This isn't PC land.

If N does what you want them to do, they'd better have a kick-ass media campaign to explain to people what the hell they are selling. And explaining people why they should buy outdated hardware that's worse than the established competition. And why they should buy their outdated console now instead of waiting for the better one in 2 years time. New phones sell so well all the time in part because everytime you get a new deal for your subscription, you are being bombarded by the salesperson about the new phone, new phone, new phone and this incredible offer. And you already in a mood of getting something new, so you just might get the phone as well. NOT the case with a console. A tough fight to change people's habbits developed over decades already. Also, there is a massive difference between being outdated when replaced (that is kinda obvious, isn't it?) and being outdated upon release.

On top of that, I see no reason why Sony can't do what you're talking about with PS5. They couldn't with PS4, cause PS3 had a ridiculous architecture (PS4 CPU can't emulate PS3 CPU, cause PS3 CPU was more powerful, lol), but MS is actually doing that with Xbone and X360 and the BC that they are giving it. Obviously, the new Xbone games aren't playable on X360, but not because it's impossible, but because it's not good for business already. I think that Sony and MS are already more than ready to bring your idea into life or actually we can say that Sony has, to a limited extent, already done this with cross-buy games on PS3/PS4/PSVita, cause in some cases the games' graphics differ between the platforms (Helldivers for example), despite the games being purchased as one and with shared multiplayer. So this wouldn't actually be a revolution, but a development of what is already on the market.

Wii U was barely more powerful than PS3 and everyone knew PS4/Xbox would come out any day and blow it out of the water. To me Wii U was a joke the moment I saw Reggie unveil it. If you think this is comparable to PS2 being most powerful and being cutting edge upon release with no clearly more powerful console on the horizon and nobody expecting anything really better, then you are clearly ignoring the most important point.

I won't accept Wii as an example of anything until somebody repeats that and proves it's a working rule and business model. Until that I count it as catching lightning in a bottle and not a policy that can be relied upon. It was cool, but it's over, now it's business as usual and Wii can't be seen as anything more than a cool anecdote.

Targeting only the remaining 100 mil is a massive mistake. Early adopters are people most willing to throw cash for something new. Give them something new that's best on the market and they may make the jump. Going for more price-conscious clients with PS4 already costing $349 (with a brand new game!), MS reaction incoming and with their library of old games already being cheap isn't a strategy I'd recommend.

@brand power - We're talking about brand power, not company power. The brand "Nintendo" isn't as strong at pushing products as "PlayStation" is. Pokemon is a separate brand - do you honestly think only a minority of people don't know Nintendo has something to do with Pokemon? It's a perfectly safe claim that only a minority knows that. Pokemon isn't huge due to the games, the anime had much more to do with that and all other crap that was sold everywhere with Pokemon on it. There are milions of people who watched the anime, who love Pikachu and other Pokes, yet have no idea Nintendo is behind it or that there is a company like Nintendo for that matter. Pokemon are beloved by people who aren't gamers at all - and that makes this brand so powerful. The sub-brand outgrew the main one - not the first time in history. Nintendo, Pokemon, Mario, Gameboy - these are separate brands, just like Sony, PlayStation, Walkman, Xperia. When an average Joe sees the Pokemon sign, he doesn't think "Nintendo". You are mixing and matching "brand" and "company" power all the time, that's why it makes no sense to you.

Also, please don't remind me of the Mario movie... Please don't... I am absolutely sure Uncharted movie would do much, much better, it's impossible to do worse actually...

Well then, if the console is going to be underpowered, I'm gonna gladly go for PS4 and it's gonna be yet another gen in which Nintendo won't see any of my monies. I haven't purchased anything Nintendo since Zelda: Skyward Sword...

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.