By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - If the NX released both the handheld and home consoles at the same time...

NX or NXDS?

NX (Home) 85 46.45%

NXDS (Handheld) 39 21.31%

Both at the same time 41 22.40%

Neither ever 18 9.84%

Total:183

What if the NX console has one advantage over the NX handheld?
What if the NX console has Wii U backwards compatibility? If the NX handheld still goes the dual screen route it could play Wii U games... but what if it doesn't?

Around the Network
Cloudman said:

Hmm, you do have a point. It wouldn't be necessary to make different versions of a game for both consoles, like MK and Smash Bros, and some games will likely be more preferable to handheld or console. So that would allow Ninten to work on more games.

My main issue is if Ninten is fine with sales possibly being scewed to one side over the other. I feel that is what is likely to happen.

I think they are perfectly fine with it, just like how Apple is fine with the iPhone vastly outselling the iPad.

Depends. If home console is more powerful than PS4 and gets all multiplats - I'm getting it. If it's not, I'm getting a PS4 instead and probably the handheld NX sometime down the line, after Nintendo revises the hardware and cuts the price.

If NX isn't capable of being the first home console option, I won't feel any sort of need of getting it before the price drops significantly. Just like with the Wii U - I can live without it.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

zorg1000 said:

What do PS4 sales have to do with anything? We're talking about Nintendo devices and if the handheld gets all the same games as the console along with being less expensive than not many people will choose the console.

PS4 sales have literally everything to do with everything. PS4 sales prove that there are is a gargantuan audience of consumers who prefer home consoles. They don't care which is less expensive. They'll care that the NX plays those games at 1080p 60fps on a TV with a controller, and they will gladly pay more money for it because they prefer home consoles. That's the western audience. They vastly prefer home consoles. That doesn't change "because Nintendo." The Wii U didn't sell poorly because "Nintendo fans prefer Nintendo handhelds," it sold poorly because the Wii U sucks.

I mean, I love my Wii U better than the other two, but it objectively sucks in comparison to the PS4 and XBO in everything but its subjective first party games library and free online (and its gamepad :x), and even that is incredibly spread thin compared to other Nintendo consoles. A Nintendo console that's on par in power to the PS4/XBO, has a library of first party games that more than doubles what was on the 3DS and Wii U combined, and has a decent to outstanding output of third party games due to power parity with current gen consoles, a large unified installed base, and not having a fucking Wiimote as the primary method of input, will be an exponencially more popular device than the Wii U could have ever hoped to be.

Toxy said:
What if the NX console has one advantage over the NX handheld?
What if the NX console has Wii U backwards compatibility? If the NX handheld still goes the dual screen route it could play Wii U games... but what if it doesn't?

I think there's a possiblility that will happen. But I'm hoping beyond hope that Nintendo can figure out a way to make all Wii U eshop games work on the handheld. But again, I can see this happening. I think most Wii U games will be able to play Wii U games, especially indie games, VC games, and smaller Wii U games, but I really don't know how they can make a game programmed to perform at 1080p run at 540p on the NXDS. I don't think the screens are the issue. It's literally the form factor and resolution.

Around the Network
Scisca said:
Depends. If home console is more powerful than PS4 and gets all multiplats - I'm getting it. If it's not, I'm getting a PS4 instead and probably the handheld NX sometime down the line, after Nintendo revises the hardware and cuts the price.

If NX isn't capable of being the first home console option, I won't feel any sort of need of getting it before the price drops significantly. Just like with the Wii U - I can live without it.

Yeah, I think there's very good reason to believe that the 1st generation NX won't be more powerful than the PS4. I think that the NXDS will be a secondary system for a lot of current PS4/XBO owners, which is probably what they're going for.

But by the time the price drops "significantly," I think there will be another NX console out that will be more powerful than the PS4. I think they're going to do an Apple-like roll out with these things. A new NX every two years and a new NXDS every year. Like, significant hardware upgrades, like with iphones.

spemanig said:
Scisca said:

Yeah, I think there's very good reason to believe that the 1st generation NX won't be more powerful than the PS4. I think that the NXDS will be a secondary system for a lot of current PS4/XBO owners, which is probably what they're going for.

But by the time the price drops "significantly," I think there will be another NX console out that will be more powerful than the PS4. I think they're going to do an Apple-like roll out with these things. A new NX every two years and a new NXDS every year. Like, significant hardware upgrades, like with iphones.

We'll see. I honestly doubt that a home console weaker than PS4 will take off. I mean, it'll already be 3 years on the market!! 3 years later and Nintendo would give a weaker console? Can't see it happening. And 2 years after that, so 3 years from now, people will already be starting to get hyped for PS5, so an NX more powerful than PS4 would end up just like the Wii U - getting slaughtered by the hype for a more powerful console.

Nah, can't see it work. I believe that a mandatory part of the Apple policy is making sure that their products are cutting-edge, or at least are top of the line. That's a big part of what people get excited for. Ignoring this part and releasing an underpowered console when so many people already consider PS4 weak is asking for it.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Probably the home console: even if MOST NX-games run on the handheld, I doubt that ALL will run on it.

There are also many iOS games that run on iPad but not on iPhones.

Scisca said:

We'll see. I honestly doubt that a home console weaker than PS4 will take off. I mean, it'll already be 3 years on the market!! 3 years later and Nintendo would give a weaker console? Can't see it happening. And 2 years after that, so 3 years from now, people will already be starting to get hyped for PS5, so an NX more powerful than PS4 would end up just like the Wii U - getting slaughtered by the hype for a more powerful console.

Nah, can't see it work. I believe that a mandatory part of the Apple policy is making sure that their products are cutting-edge, or at least are top of the line. That's a big part of what people get excited for. Ignoring this part and releasing an underpowered console when so many people already consider PS4 weak is asking for it.

Lol, I think that a console weeker than the XBO can take off! As long as it isn't Wii U levels of weaker. I think there's strong likelihood of it being a bit weaker than the XBO. I also don't think we'll see anything close to manefestations of the successors of the PS4 or XBO until at least 2021. You're in for a long-ass generation. Gen 7 was long and these consoles are selling better.

People but Apple products for the UI experience. It's the firmware people like more than the hardware. That's not to say the good hardware isn't part of it, it is, but that isn't where most of their sales come from, and I think the same will be true for the NX. The big thing to sell it will be the UI experience. I know people will read that and scoff at the idea, "I buy consoles for the games, not for the menus," but I genuinely think that this is what Nintendo is banking on with the NX. Not just the unified platform, but a brand of "smart consoles" that put a heavy focus on having an extremely powerful and modern OS and UI for a convenience and user experience not yet seen in consoles. That's what will be cutting edge about the platform. And for that, the hardware just has to be good enough. Just less than the XBO is more than good enough. That doesn't mean it can't be more powerful than the PS4, I just don't expect it to be. The PS2 demolished the more powerful XB and GCN, but it was still on par with them. It was good enough to get multiplats. I think the NX will be within that power range. And I think that will be more than enough. The only people who consider's the PS4 weak are PC enthusiasts.

Like, I think that if the PS4 was weaker than the XBO, it would still be selling this well. Its success has almost nothing to do with being more powerful than the XBO. It has everything to do with good marketing and the XBO being a PR catestrophy pre-launch.

twintail said:

It has a lot of potential, but Nintendo could easily screw it up like they did the WiiU. 

You can't even begin to understand how much this line scares me.