By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - How would a console mainline Fire Emblem game be successful? Will we ever see one again?

Tagged games:

Will we see another Fire Emblem console game again?

Yes, and it will be a suc... 11 20.00%

Yes, but with a completely different style 6 10.91%

Yes, but not on the Wii U 23 41.82%

No. 9 16.36%

See Results 6 10.91%

Total:55
Nuvendil said:
XanderXT said:
Nuvendil said:

I think reasons 1 and 2 are not just easy to fix on a home console but could be totally flipped on their heads. Due to the confined arenas of the battles, the visuals could be outright spectacular. And the cut scenes are already great. You could do the maps - overworld and battle - in 3D and high detail a la Total War games for moving around. And of course, increasing voice acting, while costly, would be easily done. The writing is there and they cast well.

For gameplay, two things to look at. One is that XCOM: Enemy Unknown showed that strategy does have a descent potential on consoles. But the second point is you could help increase the RPG "feel" without messing with the gameplay. Making it possible to, say, buy and change gear (armor I mean) and have all changes show up visibly in battle. And removing the railway setup of Awakening on the over world and make it a map you roam like in, say, Chrono Trigger. This would help bring in more people who enjoy traditional JRPGs without messing with what Fire Emblem fans want.

And of course, advertise and timing. This sounds weird probably, but I think the game I just described could be a very good launch title. For the same reasons I feel that way about F-Zero. And that's spectacle. If you go balls to the wall graphically, a console Fire Emblem could easily - EASILY - be one of the most beautiful titles on any given home console. And every launch needs a showpiece. And being that showpiece helps sales.

As for what you described, that's more of a spinoff franchise under an umbrella IP.  Kinda like Persona is with Shin Megami Tensei.  That would be a good option and tactics could be preserved with something like the tactical view/mode in Dragon Age Origins.  But you run the risk of losing the game's unique selling points and putting it into the ring with opponents outside its weight class.

That would be hard to do, because I don't know any SRPGs that did that correctly.

True but if you can do it you will set yourself apart and be able to pull in some of that traditional RPG crowd who avoid SRPGs due to that kinda closed, linear feel.  

True that.

Around the Network

I think Fire Emblem is best on a handheld, especially since they don't have to make it look too graphically impressive and focus more on gameplay and story

Not saying the console ones are bad, but I always prefer handheld > home consoles so I would prefer it to remain on handhelds.

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

With the success FE:A had I'm surprised they didn't pull a team together for a Wii U version. Sure it would be lucky to get 1m in sales but it would be a nice filler title for some. I personally enjoy FE more on handhelds than home consoles. I believe I still haven't finished Radiant Dawn. I will now hide in shame... Oh well at least I've beaten all the handheld NA releases.

Is just like Hearthstone. I can play on my PC or iPad but i prefer the ipad because it is more practical with the same experience.
Here a counterexample: Uncharted on ps vita. Controls are fine on ps vita but it feels better on a console

Ultrashroomz said:
I think the success of Awakening will allow future titles to get a decent amount of sales at the very least.

Nintendo now has stronger hardware than the Wii, so I'm pretty sure they'd be able to up the presentation by a notch or two.

Now that I think about it, I could really use a console Fire Emblem, I'd play it in a heartbeat!

This is generally how I feel as well. Awakening renewed interest in the series, so you're bound to get a sales spike for a console release as well. The Wii U makes it tricky though, because the userbase is already pretty limited compared to the 3DS's 50m+. Nintendo might be better off waiting for the NX and seeing how well it does before giving a console FE game a shot.

Around the Network

I don't know if that possiblity really exists but I sure hope so!

I would love to see another FE come to home consoles. Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn were such epic games! I think the series could try again and find success on consoles. I feel part of the reason FE didn't take off was that it was still young and somewhat niche in the west, slowly falling off after its first release, and the gamecube wasn't quite the big seller either, so it doesn't surprise me that many missed out on it at first, including me.

Also, RD was a very difficult game that may have turned away many people. I feel it may not have been advertised at all. I didn't even know there was one until I saw it, and I put off buying it for a long time.

With the success and recognition FE is getting, I think it has a better shot at selling well on consoles. That is if the NX even sells well... > : /

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread

While I get what you're saying, and this is an incredibly well thought out thread with fantastic points I agree with, this will all be moot with the NX. It will be successful on that console just because the nature of what a unified platform allows.

But to your three specific points, they're all true. To point 1, I really just think it's a matter of time before the presentation is improved. I think they just need the hardware with the right capability, and since I'm sure the NX will take a top down approach, developing for the console and scaling down for the handheld, they'll have more than enough power. After that, they just need to take presentational cues from games like Valkiria Chronicles and the'll have a fine looking game.

To Point 2, I think that'll just come with more success. I don't think there will ever be a day where the series is 100% VA'd, but you look at a game like SMT4 which did less than half as well and is adequately VA'd, so being on 3DS is definitely not an excuse. I think they just needed to be able to feel that the investment in more VA is worth it, but I'm sure it'll happen sooner rather than later. Also, Zelda should have full VA. No excuse.

To point 3, this is where I disagree. I don't think the gameplay is in any way less fitting on a console. I think it's just a niche genre. A lot of people, including me, just don't like SRPGs, regardless of platform. That doesn't mean it couldn't find success on consoles. People play strategy games on console and PC all the time. I don't see why this should be different from a gameplay POV. If you have the capacity to like this kind of game, you can like it anywhere.

Platina said:
I think Fire Emblem is best on a handheld, especially since they don't have to make it look too graphically impressive and focus more on gameplay and story

Not saying the console ones are bad, but I always prefer handheld > home consoles so I would prefer it to remain on handhelds.

FE: A has PS1-ish graphics and a bland as fuck story. I still give it an 8 because of the gameplay though.

I could do so much more and better with this franchise than IS. It would be less profitable though. :p

I'd love for bigger and more dynamic battle maps with more strategic goals than to just kill everything on the map. And a deep complex story that shows the brutality of war: rape, torture, extortion, corruption, betrayal, crucification, famine, portraying the hardships of refugees, human trafficking, etc.

Samus Aran said:
Platina said:

FE: A has PS1-ish graphics and a bland as fuck story. I still give it an 8 because of the gameplay though.

Yeah, the story is easily the worst part of Awakening. Luckily, the team recognized this and they hired someone to handle the story. I hope the story is a lot better now..

Dance my pretties!

The Official Art Thread      -      The Official Manga Thread      -      The Official Starbound Thread