By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Microsoft Discussion - The Sorry State of Microsoft's First Party

Tagged games:

eva01beserk said:

This thread is the embodyment of the state of xbox first party. And its hillarious.
Worst library in gaming history. Gamers complaining. Sales tanking.

Necrobump. Ms buys a bunch of studios. Everyone hyped. Things are finally turning around. Still zero new big games come out outside the Trinity. Dosent matter to xbox fans.

Necrobumb again. Ms buys Bethesda. In 6 years there are still no games to graze the xbox oustide the Trinity and crack down wich was a laughing stock. Halo infinite delayed and got ridiculed. No games launching with a new gen console. But fans finally see the light cuz some cg trailers where shown and not even a hint of a realease date. Some solhowed so little that they where basicly still pictures in perfect dark. So basicly concept art. And talks about the concept of a game in project mara with nothing started. Yet fans rave.

I really dont know what to say. What exactly are fans happy about? I have yet to see anything. Im very confused.

They turned around their first party, they were barely hanging on with 5 studios at one point and have 23 now. There's aren't just meaningless numbers, there's real studios actively making games. The games are coming, are they going to be good? We obviously have to wait and see but MS did reverse their studio situation that is fact.

What you should be confused about is the way you and others act like these studios aren't real until they release something, despite most of them have either just released something in the last 1-2 years are has something coming out in the next 1-2 years. Game development y'all.

Around the Network
ice said:
eva01beserk said:

This thread is the embodyment of the state of xbox first party. And its hillarious.
Worst library in gaming history. Gamers complaining. Sales tanking.

Necrobump. Ms buys a bunch of studios. Everyone hyped. Things are finally turning around. Still zero new big games come out outside the Trinity. Dosent matter to xbox fans.

Necrobumb again. Ms buys Bethesda. In 6 years there are still no games to graze the xbox oustide the Trinity and crack down wich was a laughing stock. Halo infinite delayed and got ridiculed. No games launching with a new gen console. But fans finally see the light cuz some cg trailers where shown and not even a hint of a realease date. Some solhowed so little that they where basicly still pictures in perfect dark. So basicly concept art. And talks about the concept of a game in project mara with nothing started. Yet fans rave.

I really dont know what to say. What exactly are fans happy about? I have yet to see anything. Im very confused.

They turned around their first party, they were barely hanging on with 5 studios at one point and have 23 now. There's aren't just meaningless numbers, there's real studios actively making games. The games are coming, are they going to be good? We obviously have to wait and see but MS did reverse their studio situation that is fact.

What you should be confused about is the way you and others act like these studios aren't real until they release something, despite most of them have either just released something in the last 1-2 years are has something coming out in the next 1-2 years. Game development y'all.

I do understand that. Seriously I do. But still you guys are counting studios like if they are games. And like for like a studio is never the same. Cuz again 3 years ago MS adquire quite a few studios. All thouse studios where working on games before MS bought them and to this day we still have nothing from thouse. But we have studios like insominiac who are releasing games on a 2 year basis. 1 if you count miles morales as a full game. So i still canot see the eximent from a pure number of studios point of view. Since again after all this time they still have nothing to show. The gen might be over before these studios start hitting their full output. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

eva01beserk said:

I predict this post will go down really well with the "PhilisGod" crowd.....

MS has a history of badly managing studios so we shall see if they can manage these well enough.

Bite my shiny metal cockpit!

drkohler said:
eva01beserk said:

I predict this post will go down really well with the "PhilisGod" crowd.....

I know but that really is not my intention to ryle up xbox fans. I just want to make clear that I really believe that theres needs to be something concrete to put all this hype behind. Like I said 6 years ago, plus 15 studios and we are still atbthe waiting game. I need something. 

It takes genuine talent to see greatness in yourself despite your absence of genuine talent.

Around the Network
Spade said:

Fast forward to 2018...

Fast forward to 2021...

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

I do understand that. Seriously I do. But still you guys are counting studios like if they are games. And like for like a studio is never the same. Cuz again 3 years ago MS adquire quite a few studios. All thouse studios where working on games before MS bought them and to this day we still have nothing from thouse. But we have studios like insominiac who are releasing games on a 2 year basis. 1 if you count miles morales as a full game. So i still canot see the eximent from a pure number of studios point of view. Since again after all this time they still have nothing to show. The gen might be over before these studios start hitting their full output. 

Let's take a look at those 2018 and 2019 studios to see why exactly they haven't released many games yet:

• Undead Labs- They had just released State of Decay 2 less than a month before Microsoft announced the acquisition. State of Decay 3 announced Summer 2020, rumored to be aiming for a 2023 or 2024 release.
  • Playground Games- Released Forza Horizon 4 just a few months after the acquisition was announced. Currently working on Forza Horizon 5, which is leaked to be releasing this year, and Fable, which is rumored to be aiming for 2023.
  • Obsidian Entertainment- Had a pre-existing publishing contract with Take-Two's Private Division on The Outer Worlds that Microsoft had to honor. Grounded is in early access and is getting a full release this year. Avowed has been in development since late 2017 and is rumored to be aiming for a 2022 release. Boyarski and Cain's team are believed to have begun early develop on Outer Worlds 2, no rumored release window yet but probably 2024 at the earliest. Additionally, there are 2 other teams lead by Brandon Adler and Josh Sawyer which are working on unknown games, no rumored release windows for either game yet.
  • Ninja Theory- Had pre-existing contracts on Hellblade VR and Vader Immortal that Microsoft had to honor. Bleeding Edge released in 2020. Teams currently working on Hellblade 2 and Project Mara, both rumored to be aiming for 2022 release.
  • inXile Entertainment- Had a pre-existing contract on Wasteland 3 that Microsoft had to honor. Currently has 2 teams, a smaller team believed to be working on a classic isometric RPG like they are known for, and a AAA team working on their next big game. According to an insider on ResetEra, the AAA team has the highest budget out of the 4 Matt Booty division RPG's currently in development (Fable, Avowed, and Outer Worlds 2 being the other 3) and is aiming for a 2024 or 2025 release. The smaller teams game was said to be in the infancy of pre-production in September 2020, so it also probably won't release until 2024 or 2025.
  • Compulsion Games- Had a pre-existing contract on We Happy Few that Microsoft had to honor. After We Happy Few's 2018 release, they spent the rest of 2018 and all of 2019 working on DLC and patches for We Happy Few. Work on their new IP began in January 2020, likely won't release until 2024.
  • Double Fine- Had a pre-existing contract on Rad that MS had to honor. Currently working on Psychonauts 2 which is releasing in 2021, and Microsoft is honoring the PS4 version of the game since the game was crowdfunded for PS4 on Fig. Not known what else they are currently working on, but they have always been a multi-team studio, so it is almost certain that they are already working on their 1st Xbox exclusive. 

Now compare those to Insomniac which you mentioned. Insomniac was almost certainly already working on Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart and Spider-Man Miles Morales for Sony before Sony acquired them in late 2019, which is why they have been able to release exclusives so quickly for Sony. Also Miles Morales was an expansion for an existing game, they had alot of assets and a map of the city to pull from Spider-Man 2018, speeding up development considerably. Microsoft was clearly playing the long game with their acquisitions, they were ok with acquiring studios that wouldn't be able to release any exclusives for Xbox quickly. 

Thouse are good explanations of why xbox library is still so barren. But it still dosent change that xbox library is barren. Wich just reafirmes my point. Buying a studio means nothing for the inmediate time for the xbox. Acording to your own time frames we still have nothing to look foward to for a while. So again why the hype? 6 years since this thread and maybe, just maybe there are rumors one of them launching something in one more year? I still don't understand the hype. 

dx11332sega said:

And many youtubers big and small predicting Nintendo going 3rd Party after Wii U disaster. and Microsoft selling xbox to another company. And Others trying to convert Xbox only fans into PS4 fans , Not have both but throw xbox in the trash .

They just want views and likes, unfortunately the opinion of a lot of youtubers should not be taken seriously.

shikamaru317 said:
eva01beserk said:

Thouse are good explanations of why xbox library is still so barren. But it still dosent change that xbox library is barren. Wich just reafirmes my point. Buying a studio means nothing for the inmediate time for the xbox. Acording to your own time frames we still have nothing to look foward to for a while. So again why the hype? 6 years since this thread and maybe, just maybe there are rumors one of them launching something in one more year? I still don't understand the hype. 

There are definitely things to look forward to on Xbox in the first 2 years of the generation, some 1st party, some 2nd or 3rd party exclusive/timed exclusive. Here is a list of just the bigger games that are expected to be released in 2021 or 2022 (there are quite a few smaller exclusives releasing in the first 2 years as well, games like Second Extinction, Scorn, The Ascent, The Gunk, and Sable):

Confirmed

• Halo Infinite
  • Grounded full release
  • Flight Simulator Xbox port
  • CrossFireX (including the first few episodes of the singleplayer campaign by Remedy)
  • Warhammer 40K: Dark Tide

Likely

• Forza Horizon 5
  • Starfield

Likely

• Hellblade 2
  • Project Mara
  • Avowed (been in development since late 2017)
  • Wolfenstein 3 (been in development since late 2017)
  • The new IP by Arkane Austin (presumably been in development since Prey released in 2017)
  • Forza Motorsport reboot
  • The Avalanche Studios AAA open world multiplayer game that was recently leaked by some insiders which is aiming for release in 2022

As for the reason for the huge hype around Microsoft's 1st party, it is simply that Microsoft will, by the end of this generation, have at least 23 first party studios and over 40 individual teams within those studios releasing or updating already released games on the Xbox ecosystem (Xbox, PC, xCloud), the vast majority of which will exclusive to the Xbox ecosystem.

Again you keep coming back to the samr argument. I know thouse games where shown. Do you remember my complain? That we know nothing of them and not even a release window and like you yourself put "likely" release year. All speculation while an insider just a few weeks ago said he spoke to dev teams and none of thouse games are even close and he expects the soonest around late 22 early 23.

My question remains. How in the living hell can some people remain hyped for games they have seen nothing off or even have an idea when they are even speculated to release after already waiting for and entire gen of the worst first party development in gaming history? It's impossible. It dosent make sense. Anybody who went throw the x1 has to be furious and distrustful of xbox after the same promise year after year. 

will microsoft be able to deliver on the hype? it's been too long.