By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What was the point of the "New" 3DS?

Soundwave said:
DivinePaladin said:
Same reason there was a GBA SP or a GBC. It plugs the hole to stop money from leaking out. And going by sales of 3DS this year vs last year, especially in Japan, it worked.

Their sales are down YoY in Japan. It just would be worse if they hadn't released the n3DS. 

Yeah, which brings me back to "it worked." The 3DS was practically out of buyers in Japan because pretty much anybody interested had one already. Nintendo successfully got a huge number of people to upgrade for no reason whatsoever other than because it's new. The sales dropped back off after a few months but it did a hell of a job reviving the 3DS over there when it launched. 

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

Around the Network

Isn't it obvious? It was an upgrade over the last 3DS: increased speed, added controls and functionality, much improved 3D.

i am unsure why people are bothering to bring up, to make money, as though it's some sort of foreign concept that companies sell their goods for money.

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

A more durable joynub to survive the abuse 3DSs everywhere would be taking from Smash.

This is a pointless thread, may as well ask what the reason was for the PSX vs PS2, PS3Slim, XB360Slim or Elite, or what the point was of the Vita revision, or DSi, or anything for that matter. These are hardware steps built to revitalize sales, use better/cheaper parts for cost reduction over time, introduce functionality (like the new 3D on the N3DS), etc.

Scisca said:
To have a reason to increase the price for hardware that was outdated on its release. Honestly, I have no idea how they can get away with charging this much for their crappy hardware. The reason why I haven't got a 3DS is because it's too expensive for me! Vita is so much cheaper and from the technological point of view, the quality of execution it's miles away.

With such ridiculous pricing, I won't get a 3DS unless it's finally hacked like the DS. I don't accept such rip-off policy.

Give what we now know of the N3DS, you'll be sad to know that the Vita is no longer above the N3DS across the board. It largely depends on the game but the (now revealed) massive clockspeed boost on the N3DS puts it above the stock Vita in MIPS (but below when the Vita is forced to use its faster clock setting and shut off certain features, think like how the OG3DS had to boot to run Smash3DS). The 3DS still sports a dated GPU and screen, so it is not going to be trying to output sub-resolution, up-scaled 540p.

In fact, the jump actually puts the N3DS chip on a rather forward edge of technology on its node production line (still dated, mind you), which is VERY surprising because it is an almost entirely pointless upgrade amount (on top of the boosts to VRAM, core count, etc). The only part of it that wasn't boosted, for rather obvious compatability reasons, was the GPU. This leads many of us to suspect that Nintendo is actually having problems with CPU bottlenecks (on top of reaching full Unity functionality on the half-step of the N3DS) and not only with the 3DS but probably the WiiU as well, which bodes INCREDIBLY well for the next platform having considerably better throughput, bandwidth management, and so on.

Exactly how far they push the NX remains to be seen, but I am no longer going to be surprised if we see them on a 14/16nm production line given their apparent (and now verified) desire for considerably more CPU power. This is also good news for full middleware engine support such as Unity, UE4 (got to get DQXI somehow), and others. In fact I wouldn't even be surprised if the N3DS is boosted so much as an excuse for younger developers to get a crack at Unity tools and other more common place middleware solutions that were previously gated off by the 3DS's horrible clock speeds and core limits.

Just a way to prevent 3DS sales from dropping even more.

Around the Network

The New 3DS while a cash grab, did make some much needed changes to improve the overall 3DS model and games. Besides the 3D being much better and adding the extra shoulder buttons and the nub, it also improved the performance of alot of games improved loading times. It was worth the upgrade to me but I have upgraded 3 times over the handheld's lifespan (3DS, 3DSXL and New 3DSXL) so this wasn't a new thing for me haha.

Pros

• Better 3D Effect
  • Faster Loading Times
  • Extra Shoulder Buttons/Nub
  • Overall Design Feels Better
  • Improved Performance On Some Games

Cons

• Transferring Data
  • Screw Blocking Access To SD Card
  • Not Enough Exclusive Software
  • The Name Itself

No idea. Looks like it was just X really.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Its a stop-gap that tries to offset the original 3DS's awful hardware so devs don't get too frustrated by the lack of power before the next handheld is released. That's how I always viewed it at least.

Momentum.

RavenXtra said:
Its a stop-gap that tries to offset the original 3DS's awful hardware so devs don't get too frustrated by the lack of power before the next handheld is released. That's how I always viewed it at least.

Don't think they care what those devs think about it at this point. It was only a stop-gap to slow down the sales decline until the successor is out. Nothing more, nothing less.