By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Maker Has Sold Over 1 Million Copies Worldwide

Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

No, if you take a look at it from a historical standpoint there's at best 2 or 3 games among these 12 million sellers on the Wii U that could be defined as defying the odds.

Hyrule Warriors is one, the others are maybe Splatoon and DKTF (if that's not overtracked, who knows).

You can simply point out userbases but that's at best half the pciture, if you consider that the 10 million Wii U userbase consiste largely of core Nintendo fans that always buy the core Nintendo series then there's absolutely nothing odd-defying about Mario Karts, Smashs, 3D and 2D Marios, Nintendo party games and the normal Zelda games becoming million and even multi-million sellers.

Look back at the Gamecube, a system that had 46 million sellers on a less than 22 million userbase (ooooh "defying the odds"), the top selling games are MK, Smash, 3D Mario and Zelda and 4 freaking versions of Mario Party managed to become millionsellers on that system.

Lol, Super Mario Maker is already going to outsell LittlebigPlanet Vita soon, and also LBP3.

Vita has big name franchises like Need for Speed, CoD (sells 10 million+ on each home console it lands on, bar Nintendo consoles), Uncharted (sells over 5-6 million on home consoles), LBP (first game sold over 5 million) and Minecraft (sold many millions on all kinds of platforms). Yet the sales of those games are nowhere near the sales of core Nintendo games on Wii U. That's defying the odds.

Ah, the usual spin. What does LBP have to do with anything? Oh right you just wanna "show me" using something that you think I care about because it's PS....Nice try... Also let me see if you get this:

Consoles:

Hardware Software Tie-Ratio
PS2 157.68 1,661.95 10.54
PS1 104.25 962.01 9.23
Wii 101.17 944.70 9.34
PS3 85.83 915.64 10.67
360 84.90 959.93 11.31
Nes 61.91 501.48 8.10
Snes 49.10 379.06 7.72
N64 32.93 225.16 6.84
Genesis 29.54 175.80 5.95
Atari 2600 27.64 128.80 4.66
PS4 24.77 116.90 4.72
Xbox 24.65 271.46 11.01
GC 21.74 208.61 9.60
X1 13.57 63.45 4.68
Wii U 10.14 52.68 5.20

Handhelds:

DS 154.88 832.60 5.38
GB 118.69 501.11 4.22
GBA 81.51 377.41 4.63
PSP 80.82 299.80 3.71
3DS 53.70 200.80 3.74
Vita 12.26 41.47 3.38

Do you see how utterly moronic and laughable the Vita comparison is? The Wii U is not defying any odds, don't kid yourself. If you wanna look at a poorly selling system that defied the odds with software then look at the original Xbox, that thing had a ridiculous tie-ratio. Oh and before you say something stupid like "lol, the Wii U has a higher attach ratio than the PS4/X1", launches aligned the Wii Us attach ratio is lower than both the PS4s and X1s.

Who's talking about tie ratio? I'm comparing two consoles who's userbases are almost as big.

You're comparing consoles with widely different userbases, lol.

We're talking about million sellers here, not overall tie ratio. Big games sell well, no matter if it's on HC or HH.

MK8 sells millions on HC

MK7 sells millions on HH

Super Mario 3D World sells millions on HC

Super Mario 3D Land sells millions on HH

SSB4 sells millions on HC and HH.

DKC: TF sold over a million on Wii U, DKC: R 3D sold over a million on the 3DS

NSMBU sells millions on HC and NSMB2 sold millions on the 3DS

Hyrule Warriors sold over a million on Wii U and the port will most likely also be a million seller on the 3DS

Oh and Wii U has a higher attach ratio than PS4/X1 ;), I thought the other consoles had soooo many more games? So much so that poor old SK just can't sell well on those consoles!

Also vgchartz numbers are incorrect, as usual.

The attach rate is higher because the console has been out for a year longer, that and die hard Nintendo fans tend to buy pretty much anything Nintendo puts out. This is evidenced by the fact thatevery million + seller on the Wii U is made by Nintendo. In fact, of the top 20 games sold on the Wii U, 19 are published by Nintendo.

Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games at higher rates than MS fans buy MS games or Sony fans buy Sony games. This is a well known fact.

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

The attach rate is higher because the console has been out for a year longer, that and die hard Nintendo fans tend to buy pretty much anything Nintendo puts out. This is evidenced by the fact thatevery million + seller on the Wii U is made by Nintendo. In fact, of the top 20 games sold on the Wii U, 19 are published by Nintendo.

Nintendo fans buy Nintendo games at higher rates than MS fans buy MS games or Sony fans buy Sony games. This is a well known fact.

The attach rate is higher, that means that Nintendo fans buy more Nintendo games than MS/Sony fans buy ALL kinds of games on their platforms of choice. You see, defying the odds. ;)

We're comparing one company here (according to you) to hundreds of companies. One year headstart is nothing compared to that.

Samus Aran said:
potato_hamster said:

The attach rate is higher, that means that Nintendo fans buy more Nintendo games than MS/Sony fans buy ALL kinds of games on their platforms of choice. You see, defying the odds. ;)

We're comparing one company here (according to you) to hundreds of companies. One year headstart is nothing compared to that.

One year is signifcant when the consoles you're comparing it to have been out for less than two years.

Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

Ah, the usual spin. What does LBP have to do with anything? Oh right you just wanna "show me" using something that you think I care about because it's PS....Nice try... Also let me see if you get this:

Consoles:

PS1 104.25 962.01 9.23
Wii 101.17 944.70 9.34
PS3 85.83 915.64 10.67
360 84.90 959.93 11.31
Nes 61.91 501.48 8.10
Snes 49.10 379.06 7.72
N64 32.93 225.16 6.84
PS4 24.77 116.90 4.72
Xbox 24.65 271.46 11.01
GC 21.74 208.61 9.60
X1 13.57 63.45 4.68
Wii U 10.14 52.68 5.20

Handhelds:

DS 154.88 832.60 5.38
GB 118.69 501.11 4.22
GBA 81.51 377.41 4.63
PSP 80.82 299.80 3.71
3DS 53.70 200.80 3.74
Vita 12.26 41.47 3.38

Do you see how utterly moronic and laughable the Vita comparison is? The Wii U is not defying any odds, don't kid yourself. If you wanna look at a poorly selling system that defied the odds with software then look at the original Xbox, that thing had a ridiculous tie-ratio. Oh and before you say something stupid like "lol, the Wii U has a higher attach ratio than the PS4/X1", launches aligned the Wii Us attach ratio is lower than both the PS4s and X1s.

Who's talking about tie ratio? I'm comparing two consoles who's userbases are almost as big.

We're talking about million sellers here, not overall tie ratio. Big games sell well, no matter if it's on HC or HH.

Oh and Wii U has a higher attach ratio than PS4/X1 ;), I thought the other consoles had soooo many more games? So much so that poor old SK ,just can't sell well on those consoles!

Then compare two systems with similar userbases you genius.

Compare the DS and the PS2, the PS2 sold almost twice as many games.

Compare the GBA and the 360, the 360 sold over 2.5 times as many games.

Do you maybe see something of a pattern there?

Oh so what we're doing is once again making up our own rules so that Nintendo can somehow win your stupid comparison huh? "Oh, it doesn't matter that the crushing majority of games on the Wii U doesn't sell, we're only looking at this one dozen of games, so the Wii U is totally defying the odds"

underlined: tell that to Cod and AC on Wii U

And you're actually going to pull out Shovel Knight, well whoopie you got one example of a game that is not only heavily reminiscent of old Nintendo games but also got there almost a year earlier, it still made over a third of the money it made on WiiU+3DS on PS and Xbox systems, do you wanna go over the list of games that failed to make even 10% of the money on Wii U that they made on PS4 or X1?  Or do you wanna go over the fact that according to this site the PS4 has sold almost 4 times as many games this year as the Wii U has? Or do you wanna keep making up senseless handheld vs console comparisons to be able to say that the "Wii U is defying the odds"?

bolded: Apparently not incorrect enough to stop you from using them to make a Vita vs. Wii U comparison.

I'm out, gotta go to bed, someone else can deal with this shit.

Took a bit longer than I expected, but it should have good legs like always

NintenDomination [May 2015 - July 2017]

- Official  VGChartz Tutorial Thread - 

NintenDomination [2015/05/19 - 2017/07/02]

Here lies the hidden threads. 

| |

Nintendo Metascore | Official NintenDomination | VGC Tutorial Thread

| Best and Worst of Miiverse | Manga Discussion Thead |
[3DS] Winter Playtimes [Wii U]

Around the Network
DerNebel said:
Samus Aran said:
DerNebel said:

Consoles:

PS1 104.25 962.01 9.23
Wii 101.17 944.70 9.34
PS3 85.83 915.64 10.67
360 84.90 959.93 11.31
Nes 61.91 501.48 8.10
Snes 49.10 379.06 7.72
N64 32.93 225.16 6.84
PS4 24.77 116.90 4.72
Xbox 24.65 271.46 11.01
GC 21.74 208.61 9.60
X1 13.57 63.45 4.68
Wii U 10.14 52.68 5.20

Handhelds:

DS 154.88 832.60 5.38
GB 118.69 501.11 4.22
GBA 81.51 377.41 4.63
PSP 80.82 299.80 3.71
3DS 53.70 200.80 3.74
Vita 12.26 41.47 3.38

Oh and Wii U has a higher attach ratio than PS4/X1 ;), I thought the other consoles had soooo many more games? So much so that poor old SK ,just can't sell well on those consoles!

Then compare two systems with similar userbases you genius.

Compare the DS and the PS2, the PS2 sold almost twice as many games.

Compare the GBA and the 360, the 360 sold over 2.5 times as many games.

Do you maybe see something of a pattern there?

Oh so what we're doing is once again making up our own rules so that Nintendo can somehow win your stupid comparison huh? "Oh, it doesn't matter that the crushing majority of games on the Wii U doesn't sell, we're only looking at this one dozen of games, so the Wii U is totally defying the odds"

underlined: tell that to Cod and AC on Wii U

And you're actually going to pull out Shovel Knight, well whoopie you got one example of a game that is not only heavily reminiscent of old Nintendo games but also got there almost a year earlier, it still made over a third of the money it made on WiiU+3DS on PS and Xbox systems, do you wanna go over the list of games that failed to make even 10% of the money on Wii U that they made on PS4 or X1?  Or do you wanna go over the fact that according to this site the PS4 has sold almost 4 times as many games this year as the Wii U has? Or do you wanna keep making up senseless handheld vs console comparisons to be able to say that the "Wii U is defying the odds"?

bolded: Apparently not incorrect enough to stop you from using them to make a Vita vs. Wii U comparison.

I'm out, gotta go to bed, someone else can deal with this shit.

I always used confirmed million sellers as a source, not vgchartz.

CoD and Ass Creed don't appeal to Nintendo fans, yet they do appeal to Sony fans who are the only one's buying a Vita. Yet those games still sold quite poorly compared to some of Wii U's offerings.

You were the one that brought up tie ratio's, I was always talking about million sellers. You know, this thread is about one such million seller. Wii U's tie ratio is still higher than the PS4/X1 despite those consoles having the support of hundreds of companies while Nintendo is mostly just being supported by themselves on the Wii U.

Wii U is also beating the DC when it comes to million sellers. Tell me ONE other company that could get 12+ million sellers on a userbase of 10 million. With only games THEY made or published. Good luck finding another company. That's what they call defying the odds.

I thought the game would've sold a million within the first week.

Samus Aran said:

I always used confirmed million sellers as a source, not vgchartz.

CoD and Ass Creed don't appeal to Nintendo fans, yet they do appeal to Sony fans who are the only one's buying a Vita. Yet those games still sold quite poorly compared to some of Wii U's offerings.

You were the one that brought up tie ratio's, I was always talking about million sellers. You know, this thread is about one such million seller. Wii U's tie ratio is still higher than the PS4/X1 despite those consoles having the support of hundreds of companies while Nintendo is mostly just being supported by themselves on the Wii U.

Wii U is also beating the DC when it comes to million sellers. Tell me ONE other company that could get 12+ million sellers on a userbase of 10 million. With only games THEY made or published. Good luck finding another company. That's what they call defying the odds.

Here's the most hilarious thing about it. You think this is something Nintendo should be proud of.

This is a clear example of just how bad of a situation Nintendo is in. They made a console that panders to die hard Nintendo fans and no one else. It goes to show just how small Nintendo's fan base actually is. It goes to show that its the same 10-12 million people buying the vast majority of the games they put out. No one other than diehard Nintendo fans are buying the Wii U. No one. Did I mention those 10-12 million people used to be 30-35 million people in the Gamecube days? Their hardcore fanbase is the only thing Nintnendo has left and it is shrinking.

The writing is on the wall. Nintendo is getting closer and closer to going the way of Sega. Yet somehow, these same hardcore Nintendo fans think that narrowing the appeal of the NX to appeal to these hardcore fans even more is a smart business move. Sorry guys. If the NX fails as bad as the Wii U, but this time drags the 3DS down with it, Nintendo will more than likely be done making hardware.

potato_hamster said:

Here's the most hilarious thing about it. You think this is something Nintendo should be proud of.

This is a clear example of just how bad of a situation Nintendo is in. They made a console that panders to die hard Nintendo fans and no one else. It goes to show just how small Nintendo's fan base actually is. It goes to show that its the same 10-12 million people buying the vast majority of the games they put out. No one other than diehard Nintendo fans are buying the Wii U. No one. Did I mention those 10-12 million people used to be 30-35 million people in the Gamecube days? Their hardcore fanbase is the only thing Nintnendo has left and it is shrinking.

The writing is on the wall. Nintendo is getting closer and closer to going the way of Sega. Yet somehow, these same hardcore Nintendo fans think that narrowing the appeal of the NX to appeal to these hardcore fans even more is a smart business move. Sorry guys. If the NX fails as bad as the Wii U, but this time drags the 3DS down with it, Nintendo will more than likely be done making hardware.

Hardly the case. You got the userbase all mixed up.  Many Nintendo fans are satisfied with just the handheld and diversify their gaming interests by having Xbox or PS as their home console or do gaming on PC, smartphones, and tablets as well because 3DS + all other gaming devices because that combination offers the most variety.

If you think about it, there's very little the WiiU offers that the 3DS clearly doesn't have some sort of equivalent of at a more affordable price and with wider general selection.

The reality is that there are well north of 50 million Nintendo fans. Some are too busy with the handheld and other things to really consider the WiiU. Some are lapsed Nintendo home console fans 1) not ready to go with the handheld or 2)won't buy a console that has very little momentum and very little chance of offering much more than what we already know about. This demographic isn't just hardcore - a large portion make up another emerging generation of younger gamers.

I predict NX launches in 2017 - not 2016

fleischr said:
potato_hamster said:

Hardly the case. You got the userbase all mixed up.  Many Nintendo fans are satisfied with just the handheld and diversify their gaming interests by having Xbox or PS as their home console or do gaming on PC, smartphones, and tablets as well because 3DS + all other gaming devices because that combination offers the most variety.

If you think about it, there's very little the WiiU offers that the 3DS clearly doesn't have some sort of equivalent of at a more affordable price and with wider general selection.

The reality is that there are well north of 50 million Nintendo fans. Some are too busy with the handheld and other things to really consider the WiiU. Some are lapsed Nintendo home console fans 1) not ready to go with the handheld or 2)won't buy a console that has very little momentum and very little chance of offering much more than what we already know about. This demographic isn't just hardcore - a large portion make up another emerging generation of younger gamers.

I do have to apoligize. There was a typo. The above should read 20-25 million, not 30-35.

Gamecube sales: 21 million worldwide
Gameboy Advance sales: 81 million worldwide
Total: 102 million worldwide

Wii U sales: 10 million worldwide
3DS sales: 53 million worldwide
Total: 63 million worldwide

Where have those 40 million people gone? Are they just biding their time, waiting for a price cut?

Are you really going to try to argue that the experience on the Gameboy Advance vs the Gamecube is that dramatically different from the expereince on the 3DS vs the Wii U? The games you can play on the GBA are pretty similar to the games you can play on the 3DS, and the games you can play on the Gamecube are pretty similar to the games you can play on the Wii U. Nintendo has been making refreshed versions of old ideas for a long, long time, and every generation more and more people get tired of it and stop supporting them.