By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sales Discussion - Super Mario Maker Has Sold Over 1 Million Copies Worldwide

Nice, it will do 2m for sure. Hoping for 3m or more.

e=mc^2

Gaming on: PS4 Pro, Switch, SNES Mini, Wii U, PC (i5-7400, GTX 1060)

Around the Network

Nice job.

potato_hamster said:

I do have to apoligize. There was a typo. The above should read 20-25 million, not 30-35.

Gamecube sales: 21 million worldwide
Gameboy Advance sales: 81 million worldwide
Total: 102 million worldwide

Wii U sales: 10 million worldwide
3DS sales: 53 million worldwide
Total: 63 million worldwide

Where have those 40 million people gone? Are they just biding their time, waiting for a price cut?

Are you really going to try to argue that the experience on the Gameboy Advance vs the Gamecube is that dramatically different from the expereince on the 3DS vs the Wii U? The games you can play on the GBA are pretty similar to the games you can play on the 3DS, and the games you can play on the Gamecube are pretty similar to the games you can play on the Wii U. Nintendo has been making refreshed versions of old ideas for a long, long time, and every generation more and more people get tired of it and stop supporting them.

My ass. Are you forgetting the last genration? Of course you do, last generation never existed for some of you just because.

If people is so tired how is possible that Mario Kart 7 on the 3Ds (11m) have sold more than Mario Kart on GBA, GC, N64 and even the Super Nintendo itself? How is possible that Animal Crossing New Leaf has sold 2 times what the original on GC did?
Or how is possible that MK8 is already outselling Super Circuit on GBA and almost outselling the famous Double Dash on GC with just a 1/8 the userbse of GBA and 1/2 the userbase of GC?
 Or what about Super Mario 3D land (+10 m) selling around the same as Mario 64 and Super Mario all-stars on snes, just a bit less than the first Mario Galaxy and more than Mario Sunshine on GC, Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii or any other Mario game on GBA? And even Super mario 3D world is already on its way to outsell Super Mario world 2 on Snes .
And what about Pokemon X/Y overselling Heartgold/Heartsilver, Firered/Leafgreen, Emerald, Crystal, White/black 2 and on its way to match black/white and maybe even Yellow on Game Boy with a bit of luck?

And if we talk about the last generation than we are talking about MK Wii, MK DS, New super Mario Bros wii and New Super Mario bros DS being 4 of the best selling games of the whole history of videogames, and that happened just a generation ago, so your argument is complete bs, people don´t like WiiU, that doesn´t mean people don´t like Nintendo games, not at all, if WiiU had a decent userbase then Nintendo game sales would be epic. 

I hope SMM sets the competition on fire. Good numbers! < 3

The game should boast great holiday sales. I just wish Wii and Wii U had switched fates. Wii U has the best Nintendo software I've ever played. :(

Around the Network
potato_hamster said:

Here's the most hilarious thing about it. You think this is something Nintendo should be proud of.

This is a clear example of just how bad of a situation Nintendo is in. They made a console that panders to die hard Nintendo fans and no one else. It goes to show just how small Nintendo's fan base actually is. It goes to show that its the same 10-12 million people buying the vast majority of the games they put out. No one other than diehard Nintendo fans are buying the Wii U. No one. Did I mention those 10-12 million people used to be 30-35 million people in the Gamecube days? Their hardcore fanbase is the only thing Nintnendo has left and it is shrinking.

The writing is on the wall. Nintendo is getting closer and closer to going the way of Sega. Yet somehow, these same hardcore Nintendo fans think that narrowing the appeal of the NX to appeal to these hardcore fans even more is a smart business move. Sorry guys. If the NX fails as bad as the Wii U, but this time drags the 3DS down with it, Nintendo will more than likely be done making hardware.

I remember these threads when GC came out. True, GC will probably outsell WIi U but the markets were saturated very differently back then. Nintendo and Sega are two totally different companies. As where SEGA tried to create consoles that catered to 3rd parties and failed miserably, Nintendo caters to themselves first and allow anyone who wants in to do it their way and that method has worked for Wii, DS and 3DS. Wii U is Nintendo's awakening that the Gimmick age is over. But, I think it might even be too late to get players back from Playstation and Xbox...Home console wise anyway. I think the players that are on playstation intend to be there til the end. I want Nintendo to make a console with them and 3rd parties in mind but I don't even know if that's enough. They've got to step up their narritive in gaming.

Goodnightmoon said:

My ass. Are you forgetting the last genration? Of course you do, last generation never existed for some of you just because.

If people is so tired how is possible that Mario Kart 7 on the 3Ds (11m) have sold more than Mario Kart on GBA, GC, N64 and even the Super Nintendo itself? How is possible that Animal Crossing New Leaf has sold 2 times what the original on GC did?
Or how is possible that MK8 is already outselling Super Circuit on GBA and almost outselling the famous Double Dash on GC with just a 1/8 the userbse of GBA and 1/2 the userbase of GC?
 Or what about Super Mario 3D land (+10 m) selling around the same as Mario 64 and Super Mario all-stars on snes, just a bit less than the first Mario Galaxy and more than Mario Sunshine on GC, Mario Galaxy 2 on Wii or any other Mario game on GBA? And even Super mario 3D world is already on its way to outsell Super Mario world 2 on Snes .
And what about Pokemon X/Y overselling Heartgold/Heartsilver, Firered/Leafgreen, Emerald, Crystal, White/black 2 and on its way to match black/white and maybe even Yellow on Game Boy with a bit of luck?

And if we talk about the last generation than we are talking about MK Wii, MK DS, New super Mario Bros wii and New Super Mario bros DS being 4 of the best selling games of the whole history of videogames, and that happened just a generation ago, so your argument is complete bs, people don´t like WiiU, that doesn´t mean people don´t like Nintendo games, not at all, if WiiU had a decent userbase then Nintendo game sales would be epic. 

Not that any of those numbers are rock-solid, considering the 3DS has a higher installed base than the SNES, GBA, GC and N64, but is it possible that the Mario Kart franchise has gotten more popular over the years? The only outlier is Super Circuit, which if I recall is regarded as the worst Mario Kart title?

In a lot of these cases, it's just that the franchises are more established now than they were on older consoles. Super Mario Kart, Animal Crossing were both first entries in their respective franchises. Comparing Pokemon X/Y to Remake, Remake, Emerald, Lower Install Base, Sequels...really? Not really oranges to oranges. It should be compared only to Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White, right?

And then you're comparing some, like Super Mario 3D World, which has been heavily bundled almost since release to things like Mario 64 (Which was bundled very little in comparison) and another remake?

NewBeginning said:
Not that any of those numbers are rock-solid, considering the 3DS has a higher installed base than the SNES, GBA, GC and N64, but is it possible that the Mario Kart franchise has gotten more popular over the years? The only outlier is Super Circuit, which if I recall is regarded as the worst Mario Kart title?

In a lot of these cases, it's just that the franchises are more established now than they were on older consoles. Super Mario Kart, Animal Crossing were both first entries in their respective franchises. Comparing Pokemon X/Y to Remake, Remake, Emerald, Lower Install Base, Sequels...really? Not really oranges to oranges. It should be compared only to Red/Blue, Gold/Silver, Ruby/Sapphire and Black/White, right?

And then you're comparing some, like Super Mario 3D World, which has been heavily bundled almost since release to things like Mario 64 (Which was bundled very little in comparison) and another remake?

Wrong. GBA sold around 81m LT. 

It was being compared to Black/White. It's on track to outsell that game, which was on the much more popular DS.

Super Mario 3D Land wasn't heavily bundled. 

Official Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Thread

NewBeginning said:
Goodnightmoon said:

This, and you know - game drought. People looking to buy a new quality Wii U game every six months have some pretty slim pickins.

Last generation was an outlier. It was an exception to Nintendo's downward spiral. With this new generation they're back on their downward trend.

potato_hamster said:

This, and you know - game drought. People looking to buy a new quality Wii U game every six months have some pretty slim pickins.

Last generation was an outlier. It was an exception to Nintendo's downward spiral. With this new generation they're back on their downward trend.

Have you read what Skullwaker wrote above or it doesn´t fit your agenda? and I was talking about the games popularity, how the hell can be people tired of them when they are still selling more this generation than some of their biggest success on the past?? No sense at all, and even less sense when you talk about WiiU droughts when most of the games I talked about are from 3DS and consoles like N64 and GC also had big droughts. And yeah, "one game every six months" yet last year WiiU had in 6 months: Mario Kart 8, Hyrule Warriors, Bayonetta 2, Smash Bros 4 and Captain Toad, all in the same 6 months, talk about hyperbole.

And that "last gent doesnt count" is getting ridiculous and old.