By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Dropping Wii U/3DS Branding In US Retail (?)

Looks like Nintendo is changing their store branding in the US, gone are the "Wii U" and "3DS" sections of the past and they are being upgraded to just "Nintendo" in the classic red logo 80s style (from NeoGaf). 

Preparing for a unified platform perhaps? ;)

Around the Network

Huh, that's interesting.

Since they've had some serious misfires with branding, it might make sense for them to drive home on the one brand that has always worked fairly well for them.

I am reminded of many stores that just have PlayStation sections for all PlayStation systems.

I wonder if the NX might just literally be called the "Nintendo" or "New Nintendo" or something like that, lol.

It's the Nintendo NeXt

@Twitter | Switch | Steam

You say tomato, I say tomato 

"¡Viva la Ñ!"

NX incoming.

You know it deserves the GOTY.

Come join The 2018 Obscure Game Monthly Review Thread.

Around the Network

Huh, that is interesting. You might assume correct. Looks sleek, in any case, better than before. Will see if this change also happens here in Europe.

Soundwave said:
I wonder if the NX might just literally be called the "Nintendo" or "New Nintendo" or something like that, lol.

If they are going with some upgrade model every 2/3 years, they might just name it Nintendo. "Play Nintendo" as a concept and not a certain version. It makes sense.

I do like they are going old shool banner. Nintendo may be coming up with some nice next year :).  They might do a deal with coca cola and blend it in.

In the wilderness we go alone with our new knowledge and strength.

Soundwave said:

I doubt it. Giving it those names would just spread further confusion amongst uninformed consumers. As the OP said, this is how Nintendo used to market themselves in the late 80's and early 90's. There wasn't an NES section and a GameBoy section. There was the Nintendo section. Although in many stores, the Nintendo section was pretty much the entire videogame section. That being said, their next console and handheld will need their own names although they could include Nintendo within their names.

It is obviously an attempt at reviving the Nintendo name as a powerful brand. Also, given that 3DS sales weren't as strong as DS sales (although by no means bad) and while Wii U does not have a good reputation despite actually being a good system, using the name 'Nintendo' as opposed to specific game systems kind of brings unity amongst Nintendo's products and makes the section as a whole seem bigger.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Dupe thread, locking.

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=208531