By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Nintendo Rebranding!?

Hm. Something I noticed a while ago but never really got around to discussing -- every time the 3DS is mentioned in an official capacity, it is always the "Nintendo 3DS," while the Wii U is just the Wii U. They don't say the "Nintendo Wii U."

Here's an example. Iwata says the phrase "Nintendo 3DS" three times in 45 seconds, to the point that the "Nintendo" part is surely redundant. But Wii U is always just Wii U.

I thought it was weird ever since I started noticing it, and this feels sort of tangentially related.

Around the Network
DonFerrari said:
megaman79 said:

How many other 3D devices took that much market share? Looking at it like that, it was WILDLY successful. 

How many Bluray consoles had in 7th gen? Then PS3 was wildly succesful (and it did had 3D)... on its time then Virtual Boy was a Beast. And how many retro consoles there is this gen? Then Ouya is a success.

Don't be facetious. Nintendo sold 50 million of a product that almost every Television manufacturer, and some Mobile phone manufacturers, were unable to find a market for. That is not a failure of a product. 

“When we make some new announcement and if there is no positive initial reaction from the market, I try to think of it as a good sign because that can be interpreted as people reacting to something groundbreaking. ...if the employees were always minding themselves to do whatever the market is requiring at any moment, and if they were always focusing on something we can sell right now for the short term, it would be very limiting. We are trying to think outside the box.” - Satoru Iwata - This is why corporate multinationals will never truly understand, or risk doing, what Nintendo does.

megaman79 said:
DonFerrari said:

How many Bluray consoles had in 7th gen? Then PS3 was wildly succesful (and it did had 3D)... on its time then Virtual Boy was a Beast. And how many retro consoles there is this gen? Then Ouya is a success.

Don't be facetious. Nintendo sold 50 million of a product that almost every Television manufacturer, and some Mobile phone manufacturers, were unable to find a market for. That is not a failure of a product. 

All hail Nintendo.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

I hope so

zorg1000 said:
Jumpin said:

That might just be in certain countries. Those shops look like they're probably from China or Africa.

Nope its right here in America, Nintendo's biggest market.

Are you sure? Why don't the shops have ceilings?

I describe myself as a little dose of toxic masculinity.

Around the Network
Jumpin said:
zorg1000 said:

Positive, there is a big thread on Gaf about it, it's nationwide.

When the herd loses its way, the shepard must kill the bull that leads them astray.

the_dengle said:

Hm. Something I noticed a while ago but never really got around to discussing -- every time the 3DS is mentioned in an official capacity, it is always the "Nintendo 3DS," while the Wii U is just the Wii U. They don't say the "Nintendo Wii U."

Here's an example. Iwata says the phrase "Nintendo 3DS" three times in 45 seconds, to the point that the "Nintendo" part is surely redundant. But Wii U is always just Wii U.

I thought it was weird ever since I started noticing it, and this feels sort of tangentially related.

I don't think this has anything to do with the supposed rebranding because it was the same way with the Wii and DS. Link 

IamAwsome said:

I don't think this has anything to do with the supposed rebranding because it was the same way with the Wii and DS. Link 

Well, it has something to do with the rebranding if the Wii U section has a giant NINTENDO logo above it, and if their next console is called the "Nintendo" something.

Jumpin said:
zorg1000 said:

Have you been in a Walmart in the last decade or so? :P  They all use that pseudo-warehouse look with no drop ceiling.  Unless they are just really old locations.  A lot of stores follow that look; low maintenance and cheap to build. 

Maybe some of that magic 3DS fairy dust will sprinkle on the Wii U

Feel free to check out my stream on twitch