By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Are Handhelds = Consoles?

Yes 184 50.14%

No 126 34.33%

Its more complicated than that 37 10.08%

Who gives a shit! 20 5.45%

Total:367
Neodegenerate said:

A proper item by definition is an item suitable for use for the function you are trying to perform.  All of your gripes are preference based, which does not change the defintion of what an item is.

for the sake of not arguing for eternity, lets say its true (because it is to an extent) that still doesnt make them as Ergonomic as home console controllers. which is the original difference i was pointing out.

Around the Network
estebxx said:
bigtakilla said:
estebxx said:

yeah with a small screen and not a proper controller... i hate handhelds becuase of both of those reasons, and Home consoles dont have that problem lets not pretend that becuase they both play games they are completely equal because they are not, they have VERY distinct differences and hence they are classified in subcategories, the one is a Home console and the other is a Handheld.

if you wanna say that they are both consoles because they are both gaming devices (and thats what you people mean by that) then go ahead, but dont pretend that they dont have differences that put them in different subcategories (Home Consoles/ Handhelds).

Then please, do expand on these differences? How is the controller not a proper one? 

look at the controls in a Vita or a 3DS and then look at an X1 or PS4 controller and tell me that they are all just as ergonomic? answer is no they are not, the console ones are WAY more ergonomic. way more comfortable to use.

So to be defined as a console you have to have a controller you feel is comfortable?

estebxx said:
Neodegenerate said:

A proper item by definition is an item suitable for use for the function you are trying to perform.  All of your gripes are preference based, which does not change the defintion of what an item is.

for the sake of not arguing for eternity, lets say its true (because it is to an extent) that still doesnt make them as Ergonomic as home console controllers. which is the original difference i was pointing out.

I agree completely with the ergonomic thing.  Hell, I bought one of those silicon case things that was supposed to make the 3DS more comfortable, to no avail.  Controller still does what it is supposed to do though, lets me play the game as it was intended to be played.

bigtakilla said

So to be defined as a console you have to have a controller you feel is comfortable?

you asked me for a difference since i was putting them on different subcategories, i GAVE YOU ONE.

i could also give you others like the fact that with a handheld you cant:

- sit down on a couch with 6 friends and enjoy a game like until dawn, or play local multiplayer (in the same screen) with 4 friends (something thats sadly becoming rare, except for fighting games with tag matches)

- the fact that you dont have to put the screen close to your face and just sit down away from the screen.

they are both consoles/gaming devices but they are put in different subcategories (home console/handheld).

im not even gonna argues with you, ive seen your arguments against other users that blasted you with facts and you kept on going just wasting their time with empty arguments, im not gonna waste my time with you.

Neodegenerate said:
spemanig said:

Everyone calls them home consoles.

I'm old school, I call home consoles "systems" and portable consoles "handhelds"

Funny if I use the term system I include both consoles and handhelds

Around the Network
Wonktonodi said:
Neodegenerate said:

I'm old school, I call home consoles "systems" and portable consoles "handhelds"

Funny if I use the term system I include both consoles and handhelds

In a day-to-day conversation for me it is context based.  I might use it for all, but mainly just for home consoles.  And usually I will only use it when I am in a conversation with someone who I know has multiple.  Example: Friend: "I am grabbing CoD tomorrow" Me: "which system?" them: "PS4".

I am the only person in my circle who does the home and handheld thing.  I tend to buy handheld exclusively only on handheld and everything else on home.

In my book they've always been a console, just a handheld console.

After that thread,let's make another similar....Are mobiles...phones?Or a phone is just a phone that is stable on a table,i.e a home phone?:P
Console,is a general term,In my language the word about it,is(I'll write it with latin characthers)paignidomihani(gamemachine)and before that we put home(oikiaki) or handheld(phoriti),these are epithets,unfortunately some people refer to home consoles,with the plain word''console'' and others refer to handheld consoles,with the plain word ''handhelds'' both are wrong,as I aforesaid handheld is an epithet and console(a device) is a general term,that needs these adjectives,home or handheld to be specialized/defined...
So,I answered(in a bizarre way,someone may say!)

spemanig said:
Intrinsic said:
I went with "its more complicated than that"

Handhelds are consoles by definition. However home consoles and handheld consoles (aka portables) should not be grouped together. The only thing they have in common is that they both play games.

A handheld has more in common with a smartphone than it does with a home console.

Lol, what? No they don't smart phones are multimedia devices who's primary feature is making phone calls.

The primary feature of the old cell phones was making phone calls. Most smartphone users use their devices only for the fraction of time to make phone calls, the PDA functions and the internet access are much more important to them. The telephone function is "just another app".

Paatar said:
There are two consoles. A handheld console and a home console.

There really isn't anything to argue on about.

This.....I have no idea why there was ever an argument to begin with.

The absence of evidence is NOT the evidence of absence...

PSN: StlUzumaki23