By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Valve’s Dan Ginsburg: “Not much reason to ever create a DX12 back end for your game”, Praises Vulkan

Well of course he doesn't think DX12 is as enticing as what he is working on. I am sure Reggie thinks the Wii U has the best holiday lineup, and I am sure Jerry Jones thinks his team is the most exciting and most worth buying tickets for.

Around the Network
nanarchy said:
Scisca said:
No way in hell I'm getting Windows 10, so that leave's me cheering for Vulkan. Making it for PS4 would mean a lot as well.

your loss, you can instead wait around for a steambox, they are set to be released in 2014 2015 2016    maybe. valve have an incredibly unreliable history when it comes to time lines, I would hate to be tied to them for anything.

Since when is this the one and only alternative? I think you should take a look at the pick in OP and read what is says.

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Valve is using Linux for it's operating system, of course they're not going to support DX12.

Scisca said:
No way in hell I'm getting Windows 10, so that leave's me cheering for Vulkan. Making it for PS4 would mean a lot as well.

Windows 10 is pretty amazing, the apps are kinda useless, but it really dusts W8 and outdates W7. If its security issues you're worried about, get DoNotSpy10

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Steam Machines and Linux are irrelevant to gaming, if Vulkan wants to stamp out DX12, it needs to be faster and easier to develop on.

I mean cross-platform is the most efficient, but considering the state of internet backbone, its obvious that convience beats out efficiency every single time.

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Around the Network
LudicrousSpeed said:
Well of course he doesn't think DX12 is as enticing as what he is working on. I am sure Reggie thinks the Wii U has the best holiday lineup, and I am sure Jerry Jones thinks his team is the most exciting and most worth buying tickets for.

You missed the obvious example.

The PS5 Exists. 

Dr.Henry_Killinger said:
Scisca said:

Windows 10 is pretty amazing, the apps are kinda useless, but it really dusts W8 and outdates W7. If its security issues you're worried about, get DoNotSpy10

Security is my main concern. Thanks for this link, I'm gonna monitor for some time if this remains working and there is a chance to block MS from invigilating me.

A second issue is older games - do they still work on W10?

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

Scisca said:
Dr.Henry_Killinger said:

Security is my main concern. Thanks for this link, I'm gonna monitor for some time if this remains working and there is a chance to block MS from invigilating me.

A second issue is older games - do they still work on W10?

The only gaming issue I've had so far are with games that need jap locale, but their are workarounds. Emulators and old games work fine for me.

plip.plop said:
Valve is using Linux for it's operating system, of course they're not going to support DX12.

valve still has a BIG part of its revenue on windows (and will have as long as windows exist). Vulkan is on win7/8/10 too.

Well since PS4 isn't running a Win10 variant it devs are going to have to use something other than DX12 to get their games onto the biggest selling console of the generation. And if Vulkan is the best alternative, which no one seems to be arguing, it seems like it doesn't matter whether DX12 is best or not, devs are going to have to use Vulkan regardless if they go multiplat. Given Vulkan will also work with Win10 and with Win7/8 it seems like a no brainer for devs to prefer Vulkan because that gives them the maximum number of platforms on which they can release games.

If Vulkan can deliver legacy and new PC+PS4 (and Linux for good measure) an a fairly dev friendly way then even if DX12 is a bit superior the force of numbers in favour of Vulkan could push DX12 to the margins. MS might quickly decide to update DX12 to work with Win7/8. Shutting out those older OS's might prove to be a mistake. Probably would have worked if Xb one didn't have just half (almost) of PS4's install base. If Win 10 and Xb one were major players then MS could have been pretty forceful with DX12, but they're not really in that position.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix