Forums - Gaming Discussion - Sega Almost Licensed The Technology That Went Into The Virtual Boy

Sega Almost Licensed The Technology That Went Into The Virtual Boy

Posted 5:15am Mon 21st Sep 2015 by Damien McFerran

"I think we were right in turning it down"

Former Sega of America boss Tom Kalinske was in charge of the company during its glory years, and it was under his leadership that it was able to challenge the might of Nintendo during the early '90s. Full of interesting stories and anecdotes, Kalinske's story has been told in Blake J. Harris'excellent book Console Wars - soon to turned into both a documentary and a feature film - and he recently has been kind enough to share some more memories via Reddit.

As well as revealing that Sega was in talks with Trip Hawkins about releasing the 3DO console, Kalinske says that Sega dodged another budget by not entering into an agreement with Massachusetts-based Reflection Technologies - the same company which would shortly afterwards supply the tech that powered Nintendo's disastrous Virtual Boy.

Sega was, at the time, seriously considering entering the Virtual Reality sector and even got as far as producing a headset for the Mega Drive / Genesis which was shown off at trade shows of the period, but sadly never saw a commercial release:

It was pretty cool. You could put it on and literally you were in a virtual world, and it moved as you moved your head.

One of the problems was almost everybody got sick. t caused severe motion sickness. Other people got severe headaches.

The potential deal with Reflection Technologies was related to creating a virtual reality device that worked by reflecting light off of a mirror - Nintendo would later license the same tech for the Virtual Boy.

Kalinske's summary of the failed deal gets straight to the point:

I think we were right in turning it down.

You can check out a summary of the podcast here - if you're a keen follower of video game history, it's well worth a look and a listen.

[via revrob.com]

The NINTENDO PACT 2015[2016  Vgchartz Wii U Achievement League! - Sign up now!                      My T.E.C.H'aracter

Around the Network

huh, they made a very good decision in turning that down. Would have ended them as a console maker much much earlier!

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Man I love Tom Kalinske. Such a cool cat.

Se lets recap:

1. Sega talked to SGI first and turned them down, hence they went to nintendo to make n64
2. Sega talked to Sony after they parted ways with nintendo and they agreed on a joint console idea, but Sega of Japan turned them down
3. Sega talked to 3DO for a console but turned them down
4. Sega talked to Virtual Boy people as well but turned them down also

Sega then released the mess that was the Saturn.

W
T
F
!

disolitude said:

Se lets recap:

1. Sega talked to SGI first and turned them down, hence they went to nintendo to make n64
2. Sega talked to Sony after they parted ways with nintendo and they agreed on a joint console idea, but Sega of Japan turned them down

W
T
F
!

1) Thats unlucky. N64 turned out great for nintendo.

2) That was not so smart, look at where the Playstation is today.

(anyone else wonder what a sega & sony, together made console would look like?)

JRPGfan said:
disolitude said:

Se lets recap:

W
T
F
!

1) Thats unlucky. N64 turned out great for nintendo.

Yeah but largely because it had Mario, Zelda & Rare. So even if Sega had made an N64 like console unless Nintendo decided to release their games on it instead of having their own console it still would have been a failure and mostly forgotten about by now.

Bet Shiken that COD would outsell Battlefield in 2018. http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8749702

Around the Network

Wow. If they liscensed it, they would probably be dead by now.

My true form. You like it?

dont worry VR will flop again sega so be careful

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.

To think that Sega could've ended on the worst note possible with consoles.

kljesta64 said:

I hope it does

kljesta64 said:

Virtual boy wasnt real VR.  <--- its Important people actuall realise this.

It was actually Steroscopic 3D (in red+blue) ment to simulate 3D effects.

This is the "modern" day Virtual Boy:

"dont worry VR will flop again sega so be careful"

Im pretty sure your going to be proved wrong, with time.