By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami Is Done With AAA Console Games; Tech Director Quits

Please someone buy MGS, Silent Hill and some other franchise

PD. Bye Konami

Around the Network
Xxain said:
iceland said:

Okay, and I can see those games getting small digital releases. Retail games for new consoles are pretty much considered AAA this gen unless it's painfully obvious the budget is small. If they made a new Silent Hill game, they'd probably consider that AAA. I'm willing to bet their retail offerings will be almost abysmal this gen.

You are full of shit. 

But first - Does anybody else agree with post. This could actually shed light.

I honestly think you're just looking super desperate here to try to say that Konami is not somehow eager to basically drop console game development completely. As a company, they are making their goals so obvious, it's almost painful. I personally don't understand why you're so eager to refute the fact that Konami has gone off the deep end and that we've lost them as a worthwhile developer.

And yeah, iceland there has a point. For most people now, something is either indie or AAA. If it's a 3D game released on the PS4, Xbox One, Wii U, or PC from a recognizable developer, it's seen as AAA. If it's a game from a developer someone isn't familiar with, it's indie. Nobody uses the titles as they are actually meant to be used, and few people mean "games with gigantic budgets" when they say AAA. It would be nice if everybody recognized the difference between AAA, AA, indie, and others, but we don't live in an ideal world where people care to differentiate game development to that degree when they don't absolutely have to.

I mean, is Pro Evolution Soccer AAA? Really? Most people are likely barely aware it exists unless they're fans of soccer/football games, and I doubt Konami has poured a AAA budget into it. To me, that was a big tip off that, in general, Konami currently has absolutely zero plans for developing any games for home console or PC, with nothing of that level currently in any stage of development. The wording of the article may not be brilliant, but this thread shows a clear understanding of what iceland said.

Xxain said:
iceland said:

Well it's my opinion/thoughts , and a rational one at that. So yeahh I'm "full of shit"

Just because you have an opinion does not void you from being wrong or right. There is NOTHING rational about retail games = AAA development, matter of fact no matter how you cut it, budget or quality, thats pretty irrational. 

When did I claim this?

I never said all retail games, I said retail games built for this current gen (using the hrdware power) are more often than not considered AAA. And that's by devs and gamers, due to the high budgets of making them.

fatslob-:O said:
Xxain said:

KONAMI has decided to no longer pursue games that have budgets like MGS and Pes. Those are the company exceptions. ALL of KONAMI's other IP's - Castlevania, Contra, Bomberman, Yu Gi Oh,  Frogger, their arcade catalogue ext, DO NOT need and never had those budgets. AAA is a term related budget size of a games development. It just means when KONAMI puts out console games they will have mid to low tier budgets. That is fine. 

Cool but that doesn't mean that they can't turn their other franchises into AAA series ...

Plus AAA games were a lot cheaper to make back in the days so some of them can still be qualified as "AAA" ... 

1. KONAMI tried to turn a few of its IP's into AAA franchise. It failed? Why? Because thats not what the fanbase wanted. Look at LoS, everybody wanted a IGAvania. So why waste AAA development money when the fanbase wants the 5mill budget game? It was a waste for KONAMI. Same thing for SH. B class games is what we want.

2. No, you and I both know that series status can fall. Back in the day King of Fighters was a popular fighter, now anybody not part of the  tournament guys and ppl lucky enough to grow up during that age know what it is. Castlevania has the same budget for a decade now? It was AAA then now its chump change.

iceland said:
Xxain said:

Just because you have an opinion does not void you from being wrong or right. There is NOTHING rational about retail games = AAA development, matter of fact no matter how you cut it, budget or quality, thats pretty irrational. 

When did I claim this?

I never said all retail games, I said retail games built for this current gen (using the hrdware power) are more often than not considered AAA. And that's by devs and gamers, due to the high budgets of making them.

1. You didnt say it, but you damn sure implied it. 

2. Still not true. Being on a console does not make a game AAA. Japanese games that have to be localizd by a third party are a perfect example.  Anime games are another. 

Around the Network
Xxain said:
iceland said:

When did I claim this?

2. Still not true. Being on a console does not make a game AAA. Japanese games that have to be localizd by a third party are a perfect example.  Anime games are another. 

Yup and those game aren't using the full hardware power, most of them look like slide shows. Aka "unless the budget is painfully obvious". Either way, I get you want to be hopeful and all so I'll just leave this be. Just don't be surprised when Konami doesn't make a new retail Castlevania or SIlent Hill.

Xxain said:

1. KONAMI tried to turn a few of its IP's into AAA franchise. It failed? Why? Because thats not what the fanbase wanted. Look at LoS, everybody wanted a IGAvania. So why waste AAA development money when the fanbase wants the 5mill budget game? It was a waste for KONAMI. Same thing for SH. B class games is what we want.

2. No, you and I both know that series status can fall. Back in the day King of Fighters was a popular fighter, now anybody not part of the  tournament guys and ppl lucky enough to grow up during that age know what it is. Castlevania has the same budget for a decade now? It was AAA then now its chump change.

I know that Lords of Shadow 2 wasn't the most graphically demanding game but with it's production quality you can hardly call it chump change ... 

Sure the status of a series can change but that's Konami's responsibility and they haven't given a whole lot of chances for them to grow ... 

KLXVER said:
What happened to their survey of which games we want to see from them?

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

Soundwave said:

For a game with an $80 million dollar budget, they're probably not that happy with MGSV's sales. I'm sure it probably had a solid opening in most markets, but it's also likely dropping like a rock after that. I'm not sure it will get much past 700k in Japan. 

In this day and age, with the Internet, ignorance is a choice! And they're still choosing Ignorance! - Dr. Filthy Frank

iceland said:
Xxain said:

Yup and those game aren't using the full hardware power, most of them look like slide shows. Aka "unless the budget is painfully obvious". Either way, I get you want to be hopeful and all so I'll just leave this be. Just don't be surprised when Konami doesn't make a new retail Castlevania or SIlent Hill.

Huh? Very few games use full hardware power. That includes SONY's own studios. That would also mean every game on consoles are not AAA games. Persona 5, Digimon, Attack on Titans are not AAA games but dont have painfully obvious budgets either and are far from slide shows. This is sounding like alot ass talk. I'm glad we are dropping this.