By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Konami Is Done With AAA Console Games; Tech Director Quits

Ruler said:

in the end we are to be blamed not Konami. We didnt buy their games,
well at least i did with Yu Gi Oh! and MGS5 for PS4 which are some of the best games this Gen

That's not it. At all. They just discovered that mobile was low effort, low budget, high profit. Why spend a year or two developing a game that may sell 1.5 million copies and pull in a few million in revenue in the end, when you can make a mobile title in a few months that will be downloaded 10+ million times and rake in tens of millions in profits? Konami's bigger releases would have to sell on the level of some of the best games in a given year to even start tempting them to go back to console game development over mobile, and that's just not reasonable when most of their series fall into the category of "niche with a decent sized cult following".

Around the Network
Ruler said:

well at least i did with Yu Gi Oh! and MGS5 for PS4 which are some of the best games this Gen

But it is their fault ... 

If a game publisher can't satisfy their customers then they don't have the right to succeed in the industry ... 

t3mporary_126 said:
Darwinianevolution said:

These are the thread comments in a nutshell:

Very accurate picture. EA and Activision look disinterested. And Nintendo seems to have second thoughts. Sony is anxious to get the first strike. And Microsoft just happens to be there.

you got all that outta that pic?

Xxain said:
Thats fine. Ask yourself- outside of MGS what AAA games does Konami have?

Castlevania -We love it NOT AAA
Suikoden - Always been leagues behind JRPG bar
Contra - Arcade run n Gun
Silent Hill - always B class budget

KONAMI HAS NEVER BEEN A 'AAA' DEVELOPER. EVER!!!

Most of KONAMI IP's are arcade games that dont require AAA Budget!!!!. Do you guys even know KONAMI? Whats the problem?

lol you really think they just announced they're not making MGS anymore? They basically mean retail games in general. 

iceland said:
Xxain said:
Thats fine. Ask yourself- outside of MGS what AAA games does Konami have?

Castlevania -We love it NOT AAA
Suikoden - Always been leagues behind JRPG bar
Contra - Arcade run n Gun
Silent Hill - always B class budget

KONAMI HAS NEVER BEEN A 'AAA' DEVELOPER. EVER!!!

Most of KONAMI IP's are arcade games that dont require AAA Budget!!!!. Do you guys even know KONAMI? Whats the problem?

lol you really think they just announced they're not making MGS anymore? They basically mean retail games in general. 

How do figure that? I think they made it very clear. I want you to tell me how no longer developing "AAA" basically means no retail. 

Around the Network
Ruler said:

Actually it's their fault if they don't make games that appeal to gamers. We don't owe companies shit

Xxain said:
iceland said:

How do figure that? I think they made it very clear. I want you to tell me how no longer developing "AAA" basically means no retail. 

So you think this news is solely about MGS? If they aren't satisfied with those sales what makes you think they'll try to make a retail SIlent Hill or something?

fatslob-:O said:
Ruler said:

But it is their fault ... 

If a game publisher can't satisfy their customers then they don't have the right to succeed in the industry ... 

So EA and Activision must be some of the best companies out there in mandkinds existince

iceland said:
Ruler said:

Actually it's their fault if they don't make games that appeal to gamers. We don't owe companies shit

What gamers? dudebros and casuals who are too dumb for Metal Gear?

LuckyTrouble said:
Ruler said:

That's not it. At all. They just discovered that mobile was low effort, low budget, high profit. Why spend a year or two developing a game that may sell 1.5 million copies and pull in a few million in revenue in the end, when you can make a mobile title in a few months that will be downloaded 10+ million times and rake in tens of millions in profits? Konami's bigger releases would have to sell on the level of some of the best games in a given year to even start tempting them to go back to console game development over mobile, and that's just not reasonable when most of their series fall into the category of "niche with a decent sized cult following".

They are niche now because we didnt buy their games now