By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Knowing the big titles coming next year, do you still think the NX will be coming out holiday 2016?

Will the NX launch 2016?

Yes 232 40.07%

No 286 49.40%

See Results 61 10.54%

Total:579
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

It still has its BIGGEST game to release. 

Sorry but Mario Kart 8 came out a long time ago. Zelda is not actually (despite all the hooting and hollering on message boards) one of Nintendo's top 3 selling franchises. Hasn't been for a long time either. 

It's quite likely if Zelda U if Wii U only it will be the lowest selling entry in the franchise. Which will probably sting because it's likely also the most expensive Zelda game ever made (HD graphics with that scope). 

It would easily sell 2x as much if it got the Twilight Princess treatment and could be a dual launch title for the NX. But hey, lets cripple its sales because some petty kids need to have it be exclusive and need to lock out probably 60% of its potential audience. That's a smart way to do business. 

I'll bet the Zelda U will have the biggest first week of any Wii U game. *Edit* Granted only if it is exclusive.

Around the Network
Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

If we look at how many people owned consoles last gen, just per system we see the lowest sales are still around the 80 million mark, and most of those sales for PS3 were made in the last 3 years of its life cycle. I don't see how with a big enough launch it couldn't at least easily surpass 20 million, and with the right innovation much much more.

Is a userbase of 20 million really anything to be proud of? I mean if that's their roof, then really they're just better off making one device that can play on the TV and is a portable too. It would take until at least 2019-2020 to get to that 20 million as well, by which time the next-next gen will be in full swing. 

No, that would more likely be the bottom floor.

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Sorry but Mario Kart 8 came out a long time ago. Zelda is not actually (despite all the hooting and hollering on message boards) one of Nintendo's top 3 selling franchises. Hasn't been for a long time either. 

It's quite likely if Zelda U if Wii U only it will be the lowest selling entry in the franchise. Which will probably sting because it's likely also the most expensive Zelda game ever made (HD graphics with that scope). 

It would easily sell 2x as much if it got the Twilight Princess treatment and could be a dual launch title for the NX. But hey, lets cripple its sales because some petty kids need to have it be exclusive and need to lock out probably 60% of its potential audience. That's a smart way to do business. 

I'll bet the Zelda U will have the biggest first week of any Wii U game. *Edit* Granted only if it is exclusive.

Yeah and then what?

It'll drop like a rock in week 2. It won't be one of the top three selling games for the system and likely won't sell anywhere near what Nintendo would want for a game of its budget (5 year dev cycle, HD graphics, large open world) if its only on Wii U. 

That opening would be bigger if it was a launch title for the NX. But hurrah for lower sales I guess. 

bigtakilla said:
Soundwave said:

Is a userbase of 20 million really anything to be proud of? I mean if that's their roof, then really they're just better off making one device that can play on the TV and is a portable too. It would take until at least 2019-2020 to get to that 20 million as well, by which time the next-next gen will be in full swing. 

Seeing as how 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade, and yes even the new Zelda will only get the current Wii U to like 17 million most likely, I wouldn't even say 20 million is any kind of floor. 

It may well be that it's the roof if they cannot attract anyone but the same group of Nintendo fans. By 2017 Sony/MS will pretty much have consolidated most of the core market. I think they'll even lose the parents/kids market, by then PS4/XB1 will have years to have make their pricing affordable and a library of thousands of games, Nintendo will be starting with like 10 games. It's only the real Nintendo fans that are going to think that's a great proposition.

Soundwave said:
bigtakilla said:

Seeing as how 2D Mario, 3D Mario, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart, Donkey Kong Country, Bayonetta, Mario Maker, Splatoon, Xenoblade, and yes even the new Zelda will only get the current Wii U to like 17 million most likely, I wouldn't even say 20 million is any kind of floor. 

It may well be that it's the roof if they cannot attract anyone but the same group of Nintendo fans. By 2017 Sony/MS will pretty much have consolidated most of the core market. I think they'll even lose the parents/kids market, by then PS4/XB1 will have years to have make their pricing affordable and a library of thousands of games, Nintendo will be starting with like 10 games. It's only the real Nintendo fans that are going to think that's a great proposition. 

Unless Nintendo offers something different. You know , something that no one is expecting. It doesn't matter if NX launches in 2016 or 2017, it's going to be mid gen anyway. Nintendo knows that just releasing a PS4 with their logo on top won't do them any good. 

Around the Network

I want NX next year. I need a Nintendo home console and late 2016 would be perfect for me. Just make it more x86, more powerful than PS4 and with Wii and Wii U BC. Make it simple, don't go crazy, Nintendo!

Wii U is a GCN 2 - I called it months before the release!

My Vita to-buy list: The Walking Dead, Persona 4 Golden, Need for Speed: Most Wanted, TearAway, Ys: Memories of Celceta, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, History: Legends of War, FIFA 13, Final Fantasy HD X, X-2, Worms Revolution Extreme, The Amazing Spiderman, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate - too many no-gaemz :/

My consoles: PS2 Slim, PS3 Slim 320 GB, PSV 32 GB, Wii, DSi.

danielrdp said:
Soundwave said:

Unless Nintendo offers something different. You know , something that no one is expecting. It doesn't matter if NX launches in 2016 or 2017, it's going to be mid gen anyway. Nintendo knows that just releasing a PS4 with their logo on top won't do them any good. 

Right. But those types of ideas are very, very hard to come by, it's not like they had some incredible idea for the 3DS or Wii U and decided to not use it. 

If they were sitting on such an idea, my guess is they would not have made the earth shattering decision to make smartphone games. They only made that call because they're not really sure how their future in dedicated hardware is going to go. 

My personal view in that case (if they don't have magical wunder controller) it to make a very powerful handheld and leverage falling tech costs in the mobile sector, which is definitely happening. Then from there build the rest of the NX line around this main portable device, so you can have a console that scales up from the mobile, but it's not a big deal if the console doesn't shatter the world, because it's just one secondary part of the hardware family. 

Just like it's no big deal to Apple if the iPod Touch doesn't put up huge numbers, because the iPhone and iPad carry the load and have such large userbases that every app maker has to make apps for it. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
No way nintendo will release a new console next year.

Their handhelds are basically consoles. It's not like they can release a handheld and use 1/10th the resources anymore, Nintendo handhelds now require a "real" 3D Mario, a "real" Smash Brothers, a "real" Mario Kart, gone are the days when they could release a 12-year-old port of Super Mario Bros. 2 and call it a day.

The next Nintendo portable will have a "real" 3D Zelda and Splatoon too, so basically it requires the same development focus that a Nintendo console would. 

So even in the "well they can release the portable in 2016, but console in 2017" ... I say ... so what? There would be no difference, they'll ditch all/most Wii U development, just like 3DS basically killed all Wii development. You can't just launch a portable nowadays with just minimal resources, so when ever the portable NX launches, that's basically where all their focus will be. 

ClassicGamingWizzz said:
Soundwave said:
ClassicGamingWizzz said:
No way nintendo will release a new console next year.

Their handhelds are basically consoles. It's not like they can release a handheld and use 1/10th the resources anymore, Nintendo handhelds now require a "real" 3D Mario, a "real" Smash Brothers, a "real" Mario Kart, gone are the days when they could release a 12-year-old port of Super Mario Bros. 2 and call it a day.

The next Nintendo portable will have a "real" 3D Zelda and Splatoon too, so basically it requires the same development focus that a Nintendo console would. 

So even in the "well they can release the portable in 2016, but console in 2017" ... I say ... so what? There would be no difference, they'll ditch all/most Wii U development, just like 3DS basically killed all Wii development. You can't just launch a portable nowadays with just minimal resources, so when ever the portable NX launches, that's basically where all their focus will be. 

i can see them releasing a portable but no way they have a home console ready next year.

What difference does it make? The console-portable being distinct products is likely going down the toilet too, NX will be a over-reaching platform where you'll buy which ever flavor of hardware you want (tablet size, home console, micro-console, pocket portable, etc.). 

If the portable NX launches next year ... then NX has launched period. 

It also means that like 95% of Nintendo's internal resources are going to be dedicated to making sure that product has full software backing, which means buh-bye Wii U and 3DS.

Games for that system aren't going to magically develop themselves. 

Nintyfan90 said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Nintyfan90 said:
Soundwave said:
Nintyfan90 said:
Eddie_Raja said:
Nintyfan90 said:

I gauruntee after you are proven wrong, you're gonna act like you never said this.

LOL I will have no problem admitting it.  Either way the NX is coming in 2016 so it would be dumb not too if they don't.

The only thing dumb is people that think NX in 2016 is gaurunteed. WiiU's 2016 looks no different from any other WiiU year. No matter how much spin and hot air people come up with.

Honest question -- what's wrong with NX coming out next year? You get to play games on BETTER hardware, since when has that ever been bad? 

Why do Nintendo fans think it's some kind of terrible thing if NX launches next year? 

What's wrong with NX not coming out next year? Why does it matter to play games on better hardware, its still the same game.... how is that good? Why do Sony fans think its some kind of good thing if NX launches next year?

What's wrong?  The Wii U is a money pit with near zero support.  So yeah Nintendo could enjoy another year of worse-than-Vita sales, or they could replace their floundering system.

Replace it and risk it flopping as well, then theyll have a financial disaster such as a very popular Sony platform.

How can something be a flop and yet very popular?  Did I hit a nerve?

The Wii  U won't pass the Vita.  Deal.  With.  It. 

That should make you want Ninty to launch a new platform ASAP.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]