By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - What wrong with wii sales?

Around the Network

they won't ship more than 200,000 units for korean launch, probably somewhere between 100-200k. Consoles haven't done well in Korea at all, the first thing to be real successful here is the DS which has sold over a million now.

Nintendo requires all DSs sold to be bundled with software and sold at about $200 because pirating is so much of a problem. I think just about every kid i have seen has an R4, i'm talking about kids that are in 3rd-4th grade.

currently playing: Skyward Sword, Mario Sunshine, Xenoblade Chronicles X

This is simple economics.
The reason the wii only cost 270 is because of efficient allocation of resources. Now consider the high demand of the Wii, the problem is that supply doesn't equal demand, there is an excess in demand. The only way to increase supply is to increase the price of the Wii, because when increasing the supply of the Wii, the resources wouldn't be efficiently allocated, therefore leading to a higher market price of the wii. This would be a terrible business move, therefore there is limited supply. Nintendo shipping most of their Wii out, and has improved it's strategy from last year (increase of 97% for this week of this year when compared to last year's). I believe the increase in Wii was due to a slight stock piling to increase its sales to surpass last year's. Nintendo is not restricting their supply; there is no need when demand is so excessive.

tombi123 said:
I think this proves that Nintendo weren't diverting Wii's from Europe to NA like Nintendo fanboys were claiming last week. The Wii really is meeting demand in Europe.

The reason demand is on it's way to being met in Europe is cos we haven't had any decent games for a while here in europe, we've only had Zak & Wiki in Jan then No More Heroes this week - nothing else in 08 worth noting.

this will change with Pro Evo, Mario Kart, Wii Fit, Wii Family Ski to work alongside Wii Fit all coming out at the start of the new financial year. 

I find it funny that people are essentially proclaiming the doom of the Wii because Nintendo managed to ship "only 120k" for Brawl's launch. If you put it in perspective, 120k is A LOT of consoles for one week by normal standards. Btw, everyone who's criticizing Nintendo for their "low" shipment numbers, did you ever stop to think that maybe Nintendo is just spacing their shipments out more? Hell maybe they'll ship another 120k for next week or even more. If next week approaches and Wii is back down to 40k for US numbers then I'll be happy to eat crow but until then this seems like a totally reasonable assumption to me.

Around the Network

Quite a long read...and a title that spells flame bait. TC whoever you are, if you're not trying to bait other console owners into laughing at Wii owners please think before you write a title...
some of us who haven't even said anything about stockpiling.... I own a Wii and have a small amount of posts (so you can check them all and indulge in my wisdom), none of them say "Wii is stockpiling" but a title like this automatically draws any curious Wii owner in. Suggestions would be "Was Nintendo Stockpiling for Brawl?" and perhaps in the body you can ask If not where did the Wii's go, or why such low sales for certain weeks.
Anywho my take on this? If and IF Super Smash Brothers Brawl completely sold out of software in NA. Than what's the point of extra Wii units being shipped...Than again I guess people would want to buy the console first before the game...but surely there are people that probably don't want the Wii unless they can have Brawl. So in my opinion Nintendo's loss of sales does exist, but not as much (assuming SSBB sold out)
So Nintendo played a bad inning, it happens, can you honestly say you've never been fragged in a CS game? Gotten a dying streak in CoD4? Gotten owned by your friend's clan in a CS tournament...and you didn't even know they played and were in Cal I....

-=Dew the disco dancing fo da Unco Graham=-

Here in the Netherlands I've seen Wiis in stock twice since it's launch. Retailers say the next shipments arive near the end of march.

Everyone saying demand is met speaks nonsense!

In my oppinion the Wii is the mainstream console the Ps2 once was.

Currently Playing:

Wii: Mario Kart Wii, Wii Sports Resort

Xbox360: Fifa 2009, Halflife 2 Episode 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Want to play:
Wii: Lego Indiana Jones, SMG2
Xbox360: MW2