By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Ever forgotten you bought a game?

My entire Steam library

Around the Network

Some games I've purchased on sale on PSN. Forgot I even had them there.

PSN ID- RayCrocheron82

XBL Gamertag- RAFIE82

NNID- RAFIE82/ Friend Code: SW-6006-2580-8237

YouTube- Rafie Crocheron

AlfredoTurkey said:

Ever since digital games became a thing, it's totally devalued and over saturated the hobby imo. We now have too many cheap little games, free games... it's just... too many.

Back when I was a kid in the 80's, when you got a game? Unless you were a rich kid or a spoiled brat, it was a fucking EVENT. You would jump around for joy, pop that thing in and play for days, weeks and even months mastering every little nook and cranny until you either beat it, or realized your skills weren't good enough.

Today that just doesn't happen and it's mostly due to getting free games or cheap indie games. You know that saying you always heard growing up about how even Christmas would get old if it were every day? 

That's what ios/android and Games With Gold/PS Plus have done. It's the same with streaming music and Netflix. The product is devalued and not appreciated like it use to be. There's nothing special about it anymore.

When I was a child I would get 1 or 2 genesis game a year (like my christmas and aniversary money, I was born january 6th) and I could buy 1 or 2 old games (games that were selling for less than equivalent 10 dollars)... so I treasured all the games I had and when I rented games were so Happy... now I buy like 10-20 games a year so I get a little lost, and most of the free games on PS+ I end up not playing.

duduspace11 "Well, since we are estimating costs, Pokemon Red/Blue did cost Nintendo about $50m to make back in 1996"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=8808363

Mr Puggsly: "Hehe, I said good profit. You said big profit. Frankly, not losing money is what I meant by good. Don't get hung up on semantics"

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/post.php?id=9008994

Azzanation: "PS5 wouldn't sold out at launch without scalpers."

DonFerrari said:
AlfredoTurkey said:

Ever since digital games became a thing, it's totally devalued and over saturated the hobby imo. We now have too many cheap little games, free games... it's just... too many.

Back when I was a kid in the 80's, when you got a game? Unless you were a rich kid or a spoiled brat, it was a fucking EVENT. You would jump around for joy, pop that thing in and play for days, weeks and even months mastering every little nook and cranny until you either beat it, or realized your skills weren't good enough.

Today that just doesn't happen and it's mostly due to getting free games or cheap indie games. You know that saying you always heard growing up about how even Christmas would get old if it were every day? 

That's what ios/android and Games With Gold/PS Plus have done. It's the same with streaming music and Netflix. The product is devalued and not appreciated like it use to be. There's nothing special about it anymore.

When I was a child I would get 1 or 2 genesis game a year (like my christmas and aniversary money, I was born january 6th) and I could buy 1 or 2 old games (games that were selling for less than equivalent 10 dollars)... so I treasured all the games I had and when I rented games were so Happy... now I buy like 10-20 games a year so I get a little lost, and most of the free games on PS+ I end up not playing.

Exactly. lol. 

I think it's a great example of having something too much=not always a good thing.

I forgot I had Super Luigi U until I listed all of the games I own (earlier today). That game and Final Fantasy Lightning Returns are still in their original cellophane.

Around the Network

Steam sale. Nothing more has to be said.

AllThosePixels said:
Sometimes I buy games, play them for a bit, but then switch to other games again. However, I play them later again, and I don't forget them, I just feel like playing something else.

It happens to me too, but I also tend to forget some unimpressing games added as filler to collections, that I buy despite such waste if the collection price is lower than the sum of the included games that I'm interested in if purchased separately. Sometimes in Win 95/ME era I forgot some bundled games because they were old DOS ones that were eccessively difficult to run in Win9x DOS mode, while back then DOS emulation wasn't good enough yet or PC power wasn't high enough yet to make emulation speed reach recommended specs of the last DOS games, or, in some cases, my audio HW couldn't correctly emulate the supported sound cards of some games, so they were mute. If my backlog were smaller and I had more time, I could try them again.

Stwike him, Centuwion. Stwike him vewy wuffly! (Pontius Pilate, "Life of Brian")
A fart without stink is like a sky without stars.
TGS, Third Grade Shooter: brand new genre invented by Kevin Butler exclusively for Natal WiiToo Kinect. PEW! PEW-PEW-PEW! 

Actually I had bought Gravity Rush many months ago but didn't have any room on my Vita so I never downloaded it. A few days ago I rediscovered the game and am happy I did because I almost spent $17 getting a new copy XD

AlfredoTurkey said:

Agreed. Getting 1-2 games a year and playing at friends houses I put in tons of time on each title. Now getting a dozen a year I burn through them and if I get one on a download sale it can be months before I can get around to it.

I don't know what more than half the games I own are.

4 ≈ One