By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

Mr Puggsly said:
Kagerow said:
PS2 had weird instruction issue on both (CPU/GPU) side. This made porting the game to another console very difficult, and was done intentionally. Developer really don't have a choice on which console and/or hardware they have to work for. Those who funds the project makes the decision.

For Cell, Sony probably didn't wanted to spend money for developing newer version of architecture. They have to update Cell with current processing technology (~20nm) and they have to redesign front-end to utilize GDDR5. (Otherwise, they are stuck with Rambus Ram, or DDR2.)

Also, appeasing to developers includes supporting Out of Order execution.

I hear ya, but I still think GPU was the primary issue given its limitations. Many games designed for PS2 came to Gamecube and Xbox, they often looked like PS2 games as well.

It evident developers did not like working with the Cell, so that alone is a good reason to move away from it.

Of course, I have no doubt about that. This sentence copied directly from wikipedia says a lot.

"The Cell architecture includes a memory coherence architecture that emphasizes efficiency/watt, prioritizes bandwidth over low latency, and favors peak computational throughput over simplicity of program code. For these reasons, Cell is widely regarded as a challenging environment for software development."

Xbox and GameCube supported Out of Order execution and other various convinient-to-develop feature, the fact that they outperformed PS2 (Vastly, in case of Xbox) helped too. None of that mattered though. Publisher just wanted the largest player base, so they were willing to pay developer to make game for PS2.

Around the Network
Mr Puggsly said:

I hear ya, but I still think GPU was the primary issue given its limitations. Many games designed for PS2 came to Gamecube and Xbox, they often looked like PS2 games as well.

It evident developers did not like working with the Cell, so that alone is a good reason to move away from it.

You need way more than a more complicated architecture to opt out from developing for a PlayStation console.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

And the annualized games from big publishers retarded the industry

REQUIESCAT IN PACE

I Hate REMASTERS

I Hate PLAYSTATION PLUS

ArchangelMadzz said:
That's why 360 had all the technically superior exclusives.. Right?

Cell was a bad idea and Sony paid the price but these guys are blowing it way out of proportion. nd mastered the cell after their first game and making the switch to PS4 hasn't been half arsed in anyway uncharted 4 is the most impressive game we've seen.

Hardware alone isn't what makes games look better than other games.

Well folks, cat's out of the bag. Been that way for a while, but lets pretend this is new.

As the PS3 becomes older and irrelevant, I expect more developers and engineers to come out and be honest about this. Of course, Sony fanboys will use anything to disregard their claims. But the biggest proof that the Cell was a questionable solution for gaming is already out there. Sony moved away from it, even when the Cell architecture has evolved a lot from what the PS3 offered.

Of course, fanboys are gonna fanboy, anyway. Hail Saint SONY, savior of the industry!

Moderated - Leadified

“Simple minds have always confused great honesty with great rudeness.” - Sherlock Holmes, Elementary (2013).

"Did you guys expected some actual rational fact-based reasoning? ...you should already know I'm all about BS and fraudulence." - FunFan, VGchartz (2016)

Around the Network

I think even sony understands by now that the cell processor was a mistake. Especially in the first years of the ps3, multiplat games were much more optimized for the 360.

Having said that even though the cell processor was more complicated it was more powerful and the developers that actually got to know the cell better (mainly first party devs) made much better looking games. Killzone 2/3, Uncharted2/ 3, God of War 3/Assencion and the Last of Us looked better imo than any xbox or multiplat game.

Didn't seem to hold back people who were making games mostly for PC. Indeed one might argue the 7th gen helped lead to a resurgence in PC gaming in genres that were always considered to be the domain of consoles.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Er... yeah. Pretty sure everyone knew the Cell wasn't great and was hard to programme for. But you aren't using the Cell anymore are you? Stop crying.

Hmm, pie.

walsufnir said:
ArchangelMadzz said:
That's why 360 had all the technically superior exclusives.. Right?

Cell was a bad idea and Sony paid the price but these guys are blowing it way out of proportion. nd mastered the cell after their first game and making the switch to PS4 hasn't been half arsed in anyway uncharted 4 is the most impressive game we've seen.

Hardware alone isn't what makes games look better than other games.

Obviously developer skill and art direction and design is an factor. But PS3 Exclusives consistently were more technically impressive than 360 exclusives.

There's only 2 races: White and 'Political Agenda'
2 Genders: Male and 'Political Agenda'
2 Hairstyles for female characters: Long and 'Political Agenda'
2 Sexualities: Straight and 'Political Agenda'

The "Emotion Engine" did more damage than the Cell IMO.

RIP Dad 25/11/51 - 13/12/13. You will be missed but never forgotten.