By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sony Discussion - Frostbite Dev: The PS3 CELL Retarded The Industry Significantly

- According to EA's game engine Frostbite Technical Director Stefan Boberg the PS3 complicated CELL processor that was a headache to develop for "retarded the industry significantly"

- Oculus VR codec Tom Forsyth called the marketing behind it "idiotic"and that it got the troubles it deserved

http://gamingbolt.com/frostbite-dev-the-ps3-cell-retarded-the-industry-significantly-devs-pitch-in-with-their-thoughts

What say you?

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

Around the Network

After the mess the Frostbite was on PS4/Xbone/PC I have to disagree... they didn't know what they are talking about

The PS3 was a complicated idea, but it wouldn't slow down an entire industry. That is seriously the most stupid statement I've read in days, and with the amount of time I spend online, that is a spectacular achievement.

You know what happened when the PS3 was too much of a pain? Developers simply halfassed optimization and left the 360 version as the superior version. You know what happened because the PS3 CELL was unique? Developers developed on the 360 first as it was closer to an easy to work with standard.

If the PS3 CELL in its complexity and difficult to use state had become a standard by some absurd turn of fate, sure, the industry would have suffered. In the end though, that didn't happen. Sony's decisions with the PS3 did not magically make the industry slowdown.

Retarded the industry significantly?

What does that even mean?

Anyway I think Sony paid the biggest price for using the cell thingy majiggy

Sounds like a lot of hyperbole, to be honest. What does he mean by significantly? Where would we be at now that would be so much more advanced? Were exclusives on the 360 so much farther ahead?

What he probably really means is that it would have made his job a lot easier--but significant retardation of the industry? He's going to have to back that up.

Around the Network

reported for useing retarded. ps3 special needed to industry significantly.

ihatefatkatz said:

I think he means that if developing for the CELL could have been easier and faster we could have had another Battlefield game.

Nintendo is selling their IPs to Microsoft and this is true because:

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=221391&page=1

ihatefatkatz said:

Anyway I think Sony paid the biggest price for using the cell thingy majiggy

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/retard

It's actually a perfectly normal way to describe it... just that we kinda have a stigma on the word now in the very much Non PC term that it is used to describe a person who is mentally challenged.

OT I disagree, Sony used the ps3 as a tester for being the most powerful piece of hardware in the console market, given that they refined it into the ps4 now I think it was a good thing they went with some crazy power cpu last gen. (made for some shit ports, but some great looking games which used the power well)

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Sony's studios got to grips with it pretty well, because they took the time and invested into r&d instead of expecting cookies on a platter. That churned out many great looking ps3 exclusives, some of which, arguably, looked better than a lot of PC games at the time. Games like GOW3, Uncharted 2&3, Beyond all won the yearly Best graphics categories.

how ? i dont get it..

Tsubasa Ozora

Keiner kann ihn bremsen, keiner macht ihm was vor. Immer der richtige Schuss, immer zur richtigen Zeit. Superfussball, Fairer Fussball. Er ist unser Torschützenkönig und Held.