By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Politics Discussion - What are your thoughts on the refugees crisis in Europe?

mai said:

Well, he's got a point.

I remember the guy from over here -- what was his nickname I forgot, the one obsessed with gay topic -- he wanted to move from the US to Denmark, that always puzzled me. Why move from one deadbeat country to another one? In terms of energy-deficit, social security underfunding and economic imbalances or rather lack thereof Russia is not a bad place to live in. It might not have a good PR, but people who realize that the future of the world in decades to come would be rather stormy value those things. Crises are always good, because they help people to see things that do really matter over widely accepted beliefs, at least help those who'll survive. I don't have illusions, if in forthcoming decade Russia will lose, say, 1/3 of its economy I'd say: phew, narrow escape -- that's because certain neighbouring countries might be down by an order of magnitude. Why do you think I live here? I have other places to move and live in. At least six years ago I was right about Ukraine, now I have no hopes for Central Asian countries, for a great deal of Southern and Eastern Europe, the US, UK, Japan as much as I didn't for Ukraine in the past, and look how things turned out. I cannot guarantee a war in evey each of them, but I could guarantee a collapsing quality of life within mid-term scenario for all of them, which in turn will lead to unpredictiable political instability.

You mean why would he move from one very very rich country to another very very rich country, only wth more functional judicial, educational and social systems? Hm... That's a real mystery... In all seriousness, I'm set to move to Sweden in 2 years. It's like Denmark, but easier language.

In the coming decades, the most important thing Russia will lose is its status as a superpower. Which means political influence. Even now they keep it solely by acting crazy and aggresively. God knows what they'll do next, when nobody gives a flying **** about them.

Around the Network
Psychotic said:

You mean why would he move from one very very rich country to another very very rich country, only wth more functional judicial, educational and social systems? Hm... That's a real mystery... In all seriousness, I'm set to move to Sweden in 2 years. It's like Denmark, but easier language.

Rich in terms of what exactly?

It's like Assassin's v Templars in this thread.

Hungary president/pm has now said that his country's borders will be fully sealed soon, and tells Germany to stop accepting migrants...

Germany expects 800 thousand migrants this year.

I've still not heard any solutions to the underlying problem.

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

I think more effort should be made to stabilise their own countries.

If a person feels safe and secure in their own country then they won't feel the need to migrate.

Allowing too many people in is just extending the fuse on a time-bomb. How long before there are major culture clashes all across Europe. To say it's not going to happen is just being naive.

Nonick said:

I think more effort should be made to stabilise their own countries.

If a person feels safe and secure in their own country then they won't feel the need to migrate.

Allowing too many people in is just extending the fuse on a time-bomb. How long before there are major culture clashes all across Europe. To say it's not going to happen is just being naive.

This 100%, what a great first post aswell.

The question remains, how to stabilise the countries? We have learnt that military intervention, of any kind, doesn't really work. 

PS, PS2, Gameboy Advance, PS3, PSP, PS4, Xbox One

Around the Network

Why, thank you sir.

Believe it or not, I'm all for more military intervention. An all-out effort though, not the half-assed efforts that's ruled the day up to thus far. 

Pulling out of countries when the job is halfway finished just doesn't help anybody. Pick a side, support them 100%, and follow up military action with humantarian assistance. Just make sure that everybody is fully aware that once you go in, you're there for the long haul. Then don't go all wishy-washy once you're in.

If there's one thing I've learnt, it's that the bigger the stuff-up, the more decisive the action needs to be to counter the situation.

beeje13 said:
It's like Assassin's v Templars in this thread.

Hungary president/pm has now said that his country's borders will be fully sealed soon, and tells Germany to stop accepting migrants...

Germany expects 800 thousand migrants this year.

I've still not heard any solutions to the underlying problem.

so its finaly time to pressure hungary with a bond crash till they stop with this BS....

mai said:
Psychotic said:

Um... money? Average slary? GDP? Standard of living? Take your pick.

Psychotic said:
mai said:
Psychotic said:

Um... money? Average slary? GDP? Standard of living? Take your pick.

Well... Using PPP GDP I see that Russia is in top 5 for 2014... And Sweden is faaar behind and Denmark is even lower. 
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.PP.CD?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

And even on GDP without PPP methods, Russia is 10th, Sweden - 20th and Denmark is between Thailand and Malaysia. 
http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.MKTP.CD/countries?order=wbapi_data_value_2014+wbapi_data_value+wbapi_data_value-last&sort=desc

If you think GDP is best method to get the best country then you should move to China, man.

And if you speak about avg salary you shouldn't forget that the prices level and costs structure is very different over the world. 
For example today in SPb benzin price is around 36 rub for 1 liter. And its rouhly 0.47 Euro/0.59 USD. 
So you can't just compare numbers, you should consider other things too... 

This whole refugee situation is one that shouldn't really be discussed on a forum as the's a lot more to it then what you read in the papers and see in the media. I won't go too deep into some of the factors as they're controversial and could trigger back and fourths between people but some of these militants who have risen up in these countries to trigger these wars we actually helped them get where they are by toppling people like Saddam and Gaddafi, the's a reason the term "Better the devil you know" exists and ISIS highlight this.

Regardless I feel we should help refugees, with Blair dragging us in the UK to war we personally can't moan about this case as we had direct involvement in the build up to this.