By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Sports Discussion - Why USA never jumped the soccer bandwagon?

Mnementh said:
JWeinCom said:
Mnementh said:

Only that this other sport does involve usage of arms, not feet.

Allow me to congratulate you on this novel and astute observation.  I will immediately begin a campaign to find a new name, change the vernacular, and completely rebrand the product.  Because it makes no sense to keep a name we are all familiar with and creates no issues, because it is not 100% technically accurate in modern times, despite a rational entymological explanation.

After I'm done with this, I'll begin to work on the pressing issues of renaming hot dogs which are not dogs and strawberries which are not berries.  After this I will demand that monkey wrench's be renamed to reflect the fact that monkeys do not use them, demand that people stop using the phrase funny bone as the bone is not humorous at all, demand that we stop using the term restroom because people do not rest in it, lead the charge against hamburgers as they are not made of ham, and demand that Eminem change his name so that we do not confuse him with a delectable chocolate covered treat.

As my last, and perhaps most important, task, I will demand that goaltenders no longer use their hands, soccer players never used their heads, and punting and fieldgoal kicking are abolished.  Because, in a sport, you are apparently only allowed to use body parts specified in the sports name.

Again, congratulations on your observation.  Comedians from the 80s and 10 year olds everywhere would be proud of your insight.

Sorry, I didn't know it was so personally important for you that the name is soccer. As a german I completely think football is the natural name, as we always called it Fußball, which would be translated football word for word. But if you americans prefer to call that to some sport where you mostly carry around a ball instead of kicking it, so be it. But be prepared to be made fun of, which I do all the thread.

Now I go to fry some frenchmen to have something to eat alongside my hamburger - which is someone from hamburg....

I think football is the wrong name for Soccer and kickball would make more since if you want to get literal.The name does not matter though as it has been called football here for years and Soccer is what we call the Euro version of football.

Around the Network
Mnementh said:
Abun said:
Mnementh said:
Abun said:

Soccer is a national sport with no personal attachment like MLB,NFL and NBA.By that I mean most cities or states have their own team,which makes it a more intimate connection.As a Raven's fan I feel closer to the team since they represent my city.I feel a since of pride when I drive near Camden yards and M&T bank stadium,plus being black I grew up playing basket ball and football or owning one of those balls like most blacks.Then you have high school and college baeball,basket ball and football.Small towns and states have their own teams with huge rivalrys.

Soccer teams are bound to cities, only for international events there is a national team that consist of th best players in the usual leagues. Also rivalry is usual for teams and their fans.

The NBA,MLB and NFL all have teams with decade old rivalries and newer rivalries such as the Ravens vs Steelers,which we in MD and the people in Pen state are all captivated by.Than you have the college rivalries which may be even bigger as college sports actually have their own fans who do not even watch much pro sports.Basket Ball and Football are huge from the children's league all the way up to the pro league.Those sports are not just popular on the biggest level.Soccer does not have that same following even in the children's league and most just play it because they can not play the other sports.

We have decade old rivalries between teams, most often from cities near to each other. Or even more, you should know the rivalries between teams from the same city - the teams from Berlin for instance. And surely teams get supported from their local fans from the same city, the trains are full of fans coming to watch their team as they play in another city. If you americans can't support the teams from your city properly it's hardly my fault.

I am not saying its anyone's fault.I was just explaining why Soccer is not as big here.Americans do not have the decade attachment that we do to the other sports.People are already supporting baseball,basket ball and football teams from their area.All 3 sports have their own fans and not all share the same fans.Soccer would not their own separate fans.

Ka-pi96 said:
Abun said:
gamingpotato7 said:

You are clearly biased towards it. If you don't get it, you don't get it. It is one of the most skillful sports out there, unlike many of the ones you said. Each time a ball enters the goal it is an explosion of enthusiasm and a meaningful one at that since scoring goals is so rare. When a team scores many goals, people don't celebrate so much because they understand the value of a single goal in a 90 minutes match. It is the most popular sport in the world, not because people are poor so they can only play that. It is popular because it is extremely fun to play and a hugely passion driven game. Try to understand it better, and maybe it can be more fun than watching cards or bowling.

For me personally I don't see how positions differ in Soccer except for the goalie.In football each position is different and key to success with plays that actually have to be set in order to score.It is the same for Basket Ball as not all players have the same skill set and the scoring is higher because it is a fast temo sport with a shorter distance to the hoop and you control the ball with your hands.The excitement is huge when a player hits a big time shot or the game is close as is with football.Fans also cheer for great defense in both sports.There is nothing like play off basket ball and football either as far as big games.

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? There are clearly defined positions, but some systems allow much more freedom than others allowing players to roam around and take part in multiple phases of play. Players aren't locked in to doing just one job, they can do a whole lot more than that in both attack and defence and players changing positions is a commonly used tactic.

Plus it means any player on the pitch can be the one scoring the goals, teams don't have to be reliant on one player to score for them since anyone can do it, even goalies on occasion.

Having specific positions helps the 3 sports.A player is usally better at one thing than trying to do all things.In basket ball you get a rare player like JeBron James who is good overrall so he gets more freedom and decides where the ball goes.Some players are limited due to their weiht or height.Football uses different body types,which only certain players can succeed at.Football is like chess with the QB being the queen and everyone else protecting the QB.Everyone can score in basket ball theretically,but not all players are good at scoring or good shooters.In football only eligble recievers can score including the QB and the defense can get a turn over and score.It works well for strategy and allows for players with different skill sets to contribute.

Abun said:
Ka-pi96 said:
Abun said:

For me personally I don't see how positions differ in Soccer except for the goalie.In football each position is different and key to success with plays that actually have to be set in order to score.It is the same for Basket Ball as not all players have the same skill set and the scoring is higher because it is a fast temo sport with a shorter distance to the hoop and you control the ball with your hands.The excitement is huge when a player hits a big time shot or the game is close as is with football.Fans also cheer for great defense in both sports.There is nothing like play off basket ball and football either as far as big games.

Isn't that kind of a good thing though? There are clearly defined positions, but some systems allow much more freedom than others allowing players to roam around and take part in multiple phases of play. Players aren't locked in to doing just one job, they can do a whole lot more than that in both attack and defence and players changing positions is a commonly used tactic.

Plus it means any player on the pitch can be the one scoring the goals, teams don't have to be reliant on one player to score for them since anyone can do it, even goalies on occasion.

Having specific positions helps the 3 sports.A player is usally better at one thing than trying to do all things.In basket ball you get a rare player like JeBron James who is good overrall so he gets more freedom and decides where the ball goes.Some players are limited due to their weiht or height.Football uses different body types,which only certain players can succeed at.Football is like chess with the QB being the queen and everyone else protecting the QB.Everyone can score in basket ball theretically,but not all players are good at scoring or good shooters.In football only eligble recievers can score including the QB and the defense can get a turn over and score.It works well for strategy and allows for players with different skill sets to contribute.

And football is the same in many ways. Many players can't do everything and just focus on what they do best, some systems are more rigid than others requiring players to stick to their position more. There are players that are more important than others for scoring but if a team is good enough then that burden should be shared rather than dumped all on one individual.

gamingpotato7 said:
KBG29 said:
For me it is the massive lack of entertainment. Whether it was playing it in school, or wtching it on TV, it is just the most boring sport in every aspect. I watch almost every sport out their, pool, bowling, cards, racing, Rugby, Austrailian Football, Golf, Tennis, Swimming, Wrestling, UFC, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, US Football, , etc. including the womens league of many of them, and I enjoy all of them. However, I just can not get Soccer, I try about 3 or 4 times a year, I sit down and watch a whole soccer game, and I just don't see what makes it click.

You are clearly biased towards it. If you don't get it, you don't get it. It is one of the most skillful sports out there, unlike many of the ones you said. Each time a ball enters the goal it is an explosion of enthusiasm and a meaningful one at that since scoring goals is so rare. When a team scores many goals, people don't celebrate so much because they understand the value of a single goal in a 90 minutes match. It is the most popular sport in the world, not because people are poor so they can only play that. It is popular because it is extremely fun to play and a hugely passion driven game. Try to understand it better, and maybe it can be more fun than watching cards or bowling.

I will continue to make attempts to enjoy the sport. I give the players all the respect in the world. They do things on the field that I have never been able to do, and won't ever be able to do. It just has never been able to keep my interest, or bring me any real excitement. And, I am not one of those people that needs a good local team or player to be interested in something. I live in Washington State, and I don't watch any of our local teams just because they are here. Even with the Seahwaks doing great things, I am not attatched to them as much as I am attatched to the enjoyment of the sport overall. Most of the time, I find myself watching random games, races, fights, competitions from random sports every week based on the match up, and what looks to be a good competition. In fact about the only thing I follow with any regularity is the LA Angels, and that is becuase I am obsessed with Albert Pujols' run at so many different records.

Stop hate, let others live the life they were given. Everyone has their problems, and no one should have to feel ashamed for the way they were born. Be proud of who you are, encourage others to be proud of themselves. Learn, research, absorb everything around you. Nothing is meaningless, a purpose is placed on everything no matter how you perceive it. Discover how to love, and share that love with everything that you encounter. Help make existence a beautiful thing.

Kevyn B Grams
10/03/2010 

KBG29 on PSN&XBL

Around the Network

Number one reason:  no time-outs/regular stoppage of play to allow for TV commercials.

No joke.

Every other popular American sport has built-in breaks during regular gameplay so the networks can sell tons of advertising time. Soccer rarely stops (ex. injury on the field -oops pitch, I meant "pitch" ) so no breaks = no advertising $$$$

I don't think low-scoring is that big of an issue. Hockey has some low-scoring games too, and that's still pretty popular in the US (again, lots of commercial breaks)

There is a ton of interest/atcivity at the youth sports level in the US (we even coined the term "Soccer Mom") but it just doesn't have the pro-level audience of the big 4 (Baseball, Basketball, Football, Hockey)

Soccer's popularity in the US has been steadily increasing over the past couple of decades, spearheaded by WC USA '94 (which by the way still holds the WC attendance record despite featuring only 24 teams instead of the current 32) and the creation of MLS. It's been a long journey but it has finally "arrived" in that the US mens and womens national teams attract huge crowds even for friendies and MLS is now third in average attendance behind the NFL and MLB, essentially tied with the NBA and NHL. TV viewership is another matter, but networks have greatly expanded coverage of MLS and national games over the past decade.

There's multiple reasons it's still not as big here as it is in the rest of the world though... namely #1 it's competing with 4 other major sports leagues here which have roots that go back well over a century in North America for attention / viewers. No other country in the world has that much top tier competition. And #2 the best American athletes all play the other 4 major sports, and the NFL, MLB, NBA and NHL represent the top talent in their respective sports, whereas at least a dozen other countries have better overall talent in soccer than the US and its professional league does.

Oh... and in the 4 major other sports in the US, athletes don't go down like they've been shot whenever they come within 5 feet of an opponent. That's a big turnoff for American sports fans used to seeing dudes collide with each other at full speed or getting checked into the boards or on the ice and getting right up like nothing happened instead of rolling around in "pain" for 5 minutes while the rest of the team takes a water break.

On 2/24/13, MB1025 said:
You know I was always wondering why no one ever used the dollar sign for $ony, but then I realized they have no money so it would be pointless.

Mnementh said:
outlawauron said:
Mnementh said:

What else should you use, it's the official organization for the sport. The ranking is based on results in international games and everyone can recalculate it himself if he wants to. What do you base your ranking on, coinflip?

Using those rankings as a basis of fact is absolutely crazy to anyone who actually watches the games. The system is rigged to benefit certain countries and doesn't properly affect current form, head to head results, or predicted outcomes if the teams play (you know, the real reason you rank teams).

Rigged? Inhowfar? To benefit which countries?

http://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/procedure/men.html

It makes it very difficult for teams in Europe to drop to appropriate places, while teams in Asia have very difficult times moving up the rankings. Japan and South Korea being outside the top 50 is a joke.

"We'll toss the dice however they fall,
And snuggle the girls be they short or tall,
Then follow young Mat whenever he calls,
To dance with Jak o' the Shadows."

Check out MyAnimeList and my Game Collection. Owner of the 5 millionth post.

Sports I will watch on TV : NFL, NBA Finals

Sports I will also watch in person if I get a ticket for free : Hockey, NBA Regular Season, Racing, Boxing, AAA Baseball

Sports I don't have patience for : MLB, Soccer/Futbol, everything else

I think Soccer will continue to grow in popularity. It's just not for me. I'm 38 now though, so I bet the generations coming up after me will enjoy it more than my generation has for the most part (in the USA).

As a World Studies Minor who as traveled the world dozens of times, I have to say: It's because Soccer is just boring. There I said it!

P.S. I am bored by all sports, but Soccer and baseball really take the cake for me in that department.

Prediction for console Lifetime sales:

Wii:100-120 million, PS3:80-110 million, 360:70-100 million

[Prediction Made 11/5/2009]

3DS: 65m, PSV: 22m, Wii U: 18-22m, PS4: 80-120m, X1: 35-55m

I gauruntee the PS5 comes out after only 5-6 years after the launch of the PS4.

[Prediction Made 6/18/2014]