By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - I'm On Chapter 11 Of MGS5 ... When Does It Start Being Fun?

Two days in and I'm hooked on MGS5; I have to cut the amount of time I spend on it otherwise it's going to be Far Cry 4 all over again for me, which took an embarrassing amount of my time.

It's rare these days for me to find titles that I hit even double digit numbers playing in a time when people seem to love complaining about any game they can finish under ten. Since 2013 with the PS4, it's been Resogun, which I'm still killing time on because of the regular updates, then it was Infamous Second Son (First Light gave me a bit more mileage), Far Cry 4 and now MGS5. About 30 other PS4 games have not been played more than a handful of times as I can afford to be very selective about which games deserve my time.

I've already crossed into double digit hours and I'm 6% complete. Granted, it's not necessary to complete anything near 100% to see the best of what MG games have to offer as they cater to players who like to play the same level/sequence over and over like an Achievement/Trophy hound, but I don't see any way I'll be playing for less than 40 hours, which is a really big investment of time for me.

For all its popularity, Metal Gear is not, or at least shouldn't be such a commercial hit because it should be a smaller niche franchise; clearly it is not for most gamers, but it has been one of mine because of the themes explored, the characters and universe created and of course the overall batshit crazy elements that make Metal Gear so ridiculous far too often.

The OP complaints really just go to show that MGS should not be such a big title even though the size of the franchise pretty much dictates it is by default, but it really isn't a mainstream game at all.

MGS4 played like 10 hour movie with interactive play sequences that could be played to be shorter than the cut scenes, which is a bit ridiculous and terrible for any player not invested in the story, but given the constraints of the hardware relative to the vision and the huge number of franchise subplots that had to be concluded, it probably shouldn't come as a surprise.

MGS5 on the other hand, starts out just like MGS4; linear level design and play to support the story which expands into a do what you want the way you want type of proposition by the third stage. After that concept is in circulation, the game really becomes more about building an army and a sovereign territory from which they can operate through abduction/recruiting, theft/collecting of resources, and construction of territory and war material resources. It feels like building Outer Heaven. The thing is building an army is an administrative exercise (recruit, collect resources, build) as it was for Peace Walker. But not being able to see and explore the tiny nation state being built was an omission; one that MGS5 does not suffer from.

OP says Mother Base is boring; my reason for doing missions, collecting resources, recruiting personnel is because I want to build it up and then explore it to see what I've built. My whole motivation for going on missions is to collect resources and abduct recruits so I can build Snake's army.

I can totally see how MGS5 would not be most players idea of fun, but to me, it takes the army nation building concept of Peace Walker and turns into something more tangible rather than a series of charts and numbers. It takes the divided level design of MGS4 and provides a more open approach to achieving an objective. By comparison, MGS5 seems short on story in the way of cut scenes, but it's too soon for me to say.

I suppose my biggest complaints with MGS5 would be it lagged a bit in the prologue and if the entire game takes place in Afghanistan, I have to say plot reliance upon the Solviet/Afghan War aside (as the most significant war of the 80s), Afghanistan is a very ugly environment in which to spend the majority of a game. Infamous' Seattle was interesting. Far Cry 4's Himalayan Kyrat was captivating. I can't help but think just how shitty an environment Afghanistan is to be caught in a war.

Around the Network

Later or never.

pokoko said:
POE said:
Im tired of telling you this guys: play nintendo.

Don't worry, you're not alone.  I'm tired of you doing that, too.

Ill be sure to keep doing it then. Play more Nintendo guys.

It was not supposed to be fun.

Proud to be the first cool Nintendo fan ever

Number ONE Zelda fan in the Universe

DKCTF didn't move consoles

Prediction: No Zelda HD for Wii U, quietly moved to the succesor

Predictions for Nintendo NX and Mobile

I have tons of fun on the first chapter already... so since beginning.

Maybe you just don't like MGS style.

Around the Network
binary solo said:
So I quite liked Ground Zeroes. Is this quite substantially different, or is it a case of more is not always better?

If you like Ground Zeroes then you will like Phantom Pain... it is a better game in every way but Ground Zeroes give you a tease of what is coming.

BTW The Phanton Pain has the best into in a game I ever played... the first chapter is absolutelly amazing.

RolStoppable said:
Are you seriously serious? Because your description makes it sound like the typical MGS game.

That^^

Basically you do not like MGS game type based on your post because the first 5 missions are all about that :)
The game is awesome from mission 1 imo and is very true to MGS.

Frank_kc said:
I really started enjoying the game more like in chapter 8 where you have to sneak in and blow up those tanks. I also really liked chapter 10 playing face to face sniper against Quiet during the night.

Spoiler alert, dude.

I predict that the Wii U will sell a total of 18 million units in its lifetime. 

The NX will be a 900p machine

ethomaz said:
binary solo said:
So I quite liked Ground Zeroes. Is this quite substantially different, or is it a case of more is not always better?

If you like Ground Zeroes then you will like Phantom Pain... it is a better game in every way but Ground Zeroes give you a tease of what is coming.

BTW The Phanton Pain has the best into in a game I ever played... the first chapter is absolutelly amazing.

I felt the intro was nothing but scripted trash with modern day action-bullshit-scenes loaded with surprises and "ohthatshitwasclose"-moments everywhere. Surprises happen so often you don't have to be a profet to guess the next thing that is going to happen.....yes a FUCKIN out of nowhere surprise. It reminds me of Tomb Raider and....well yeah. For example imo MGS2 tanker-intro if it can be called that, completely trashes MGSV's simply because you are actually free to play the goddamn game there.

I cannot imagine toilet-free life.

Kebabs have a unique attribute compared to other consumables. To unlock this effect you need to wolf down a big ass kebab really fast, like under 10 minutes or so and wait for the effect to kick in. If done correctly your movements should feel unbelievably heavy to the point where you literally cannot move at all.

-Downtown Alanya Kebab magazine issue no.198

I'm five hours into the game, when do i get out of the hospital bed?

“It appeared that there had even been demonstrations to thank Big Brother for raising the chocolate ration to twenty grams a week. And only yesterday, he reflected, it had been announced that the ration was to be reduced to twenty grams a week. Was it possible that they could swallow that, after only twenty-four hours? Yes, they swallowed it.”

- George Orwell, ‘1984’