By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - I want to want Shovel Knight... but I can't

Tagged games:

First world problems as importan as this are not meant to be discussed on a simple videogames forum.

Around the Network

Nintendo have hit a new low.

POE said:
First world problems as importan as this are not meant to be discussed on a simple videogames forum.

True, this should have it's own tumblr blog. 

I still wish they'd retroactively add cross-buy to this, as other indie games have done this (I got Whoa Dave free on 3DS for buying the Humble bundle and then when the Wii U version came out last week I got it free.)

BUT, that said, the Wii U version still has that Smash Bros. Arena mode coming, exclusively as far as I recall, and the 3DS version has the streetpass arena. They're not bosses, no, but the Kratos boss wasn't all that good anyway. The Battletoads boss looked amazing, though. It doesn't matter what platform you get it on, really, just buy it. You won't regret it. If you're an amiibo fan then there's literally no reason not to buy the Wii U version and do the amiibo Co-op or the 3DS version and the amiibo challenges. While the amiibo content lock isn't the best way to do things, the game is also over a year old and has three free expansions coming out for every platform, so I can grant a pass for them money grubbing a little for 100% optional content.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

I don't think the Kratos boss looks that special from what I've seen, but the Battletoads thing looks cool, and I am somewhat jealous of XB1 owners of the game as a result.

And yeah, that whole amiibo debacle is pretty dumb IMO, and I hate how it locks behind something as basic as a co-op mode, and assuming the Shovel Knight amiibo is impossible to get at MSRP, it will be a disaster.

I still think Shovel Knight itself is a solid game, but I can definitely understand your reluctance.

I'd say pass for now.

"Just for comparison Uncharted 4 was 20x bigger than Splatoon 2. This shows the huge difference between Sony's first-party games and Nintendo's first-party games."

Around the Network

get over it. Tendo versions were out months before The others were released. And all they get as compensation is a boss battle each. there is no principal in not paying $15 on an indie game just because The Nintendo version doesn't have a boss fight that takes up less than 1% of the entire game experience.

I dunno. I bought the game before any of this stuff was announced. They made a game, I bought it, I played it, I liked it. What do I care if they re-released it on another platform with more stuff? In the same vein, even though amiibo implementation like this has annoyed me in the past, I feel like I have no reason to be bothered by it since it wasn't even announced until long after I had already finished the game. Plus there's all the upcoming free DLC that didn't factor into my decision to purchase the game; that stuff is all just icing on the cake.

Nintendo fans. Yeesh. Third parties give us the extra-special editions of a bunch of PS3/360 games, we complain they're just late ports. Shovel Knight is a late port on Sony & MS platforms, we complain we didn't get the extra-special edition. Hey, guys. This game is either missing content or a late port on virtually every platform it's available on. Don't play the victim.

For what it's worth, the 3DS version does have an exclusive StreetPass mode. It's light, but they still made the effort of giving the system something unique.

Also, I'm calling the OP out. You say you heard great things and you want the game, yet you offer no explanation for your failure to buy it in the six-month window between its Nintendo release and its announcement (along with that of the exclusive boss) for PlayStation platforms. I would assume you're one of those people who is allergic to digital games, but you mention Shovel Knight costing $15 on all platforms. If you were solely interested in the physical release, you would have used the physical version price of $20.

I'm gonna buy it for Wii U. And don't care about what the other versions do and don't have. That's like caring about how your wife used to make love to her ex when they were married.

I am a Nintendo fanatic.

"Inferior port?" Give me a break. It's a friggen 8-bit game! There's no way the X1/PS4 ports could be better.

I thought it was decent. Music is amazing though.