By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Nintendo Discussion - Mario Kart Wii Removing Snaking?

According to the folk from the Official Nintendo Magazine, Snaking in Mario Kart Wii is a thing of the past.

The latest edition details the game's mechanics, and had something interesting to say about power-sliding:

The second big difference (in Mario Kart Wii compared to the rest of the series) is the removal of snaking. Ever since the N64 game, practically every Mario Kart game has included the ability to get a speed boost by waggling the controls left and right as you powerslide. This has finally been scrapped, and now your speed boost is determined by how long you can hold the slide.

Snaking can be described as using the powerslide boost to, if pulled off right, gain multiple speed boosts in virtually any part of the track - especially in straight sections.

Link http://www.cubed3.com/news/9654

I'm sure I'm probably late to the party but just incase.

"Back off, man. I'm a scientist."

Your theories are the worst kind of popular tripe, your methods are sloppy, and your conclusions are highly questionable! You are a poor scientist. Especially if you think the moon landing was faked.

ioi + 1
Around the Network

i think this will be better in the online play,because alot of people were leaving the game on DS cause some were snaking

tag:"reviews only matter for the real hardcore gamer"

Left and right? Woops I am powersliding with up and down (DS).

I hated snaking, it's hard as **** to learn howto use it. It made online gaming experience annoying.

And yes my post has a censor on purpose to add to some effect

kenzomatic said:
According to the folk from the Official Nintendo Magazine, Snaking in Mario Kart Wii is a thing of the past.

The latest edition details the game's mechanics, and had something interesting to say about power-sliding:

The second big difference (in Mario Kart Wii compared to the rest of the series) is the removal of snaking. Ever since the N64 game, practically every Mario Kart game has included the ability to get a speed boost by waggling the controls left and right as you powerslide. This has finally been scrapped, and now your speed boost is determined by how long you can hold the slide.

Snaking can be described as using the powerslide boost to, if pulled off right, gain multiple speed boosts in virtually any part of the track - especially in straight sections.

Link http://www.cubed3.com/news/9654

I'm sure I'm probably late to the party but just incase.

You're very late to the party.  This was discussed over a month ago.

Snaking actually only really seems to be found in the Mario Kart DS game.  It's no big loss.

Around the Network

I hope it's true

-- Live only for tomorrow, and you will have a lot of empty yesterdays today--

Tavin:  "Old school megaman is THE BEST megaman"      courtesy of fkusumot :)

My mind has changed. My strength has not.    Kamahl, Fist of Krosa

snaking is sooooo cheap so i'm glad it's gone

Otacon: "Snake? SNAAAAAKE!!!"

Could I trouble you for some maple syrup to go with the plate of roffles you just served up?

Tag, courtesy of fkusumot: "Why do most of the PS3 fanboys have avatars that looks totally pissed?"
"Ok, girl's trapped in the elevator, and the power's off.  I swear, if a zombie comes around the next corner..."

Snaking has been possible since MK64, but it was easiest on MKDS and MK:DD. It was more prominent on DS, though, since that had online play.

It's still entirely possible on MKWii, but it's a LOT harder to pull off, and it's basically a much better system. I'm not sure where the fun was in beating a bunch of people online because you were the only one that knew how to successfully take advantage of the game's faults, but I'm glad it's gone. More fair for the rest of us, and more based off of actual talent.

SW-5120-1900-6153

Awww... Another veteran prestige going away. ;_;

Oh well, might as well get used to all the new Nintendo games going "casual-friendly!"

Random game thought :
Why is Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 getting so much hate? We finally get a real game and they're not even satisfied... I'm starting to hate the gaming community so f****** much...

Watch my insane gameplay videos on my YouTube page!