By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain Review Thread - MC: 93/ GR: 91.59%

Tagged games:

ethomaz said:
Anfebious said:
I predicted an 87... I'll was so off...

I predicted the most reliable score 95 but I hope he goes up to 96.

It is MGS... the last game got 94.

It's a lot like Peace Walker so I thought it would score a bit less than that one. I guess I was wrong!

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Around the Network

totally deserved

Another big release that has not disappointed after Bloodborne, Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, MK X, Dying Light. So many AAA games with great ratings this year and the big q3 releases are yet to come.

And by looking at the stellar sales of these games i'm sure MGS5 will have great sales as well. This gen is exceeding expectations.

elazz said:
Is it normal that the horn of Snake is turning me off to get the game. I'm serious. I wanted to immediately buy it but then came the trailer about him being a demon and was confused. I don't want that to be something that takes a big place in the story. Anybody knows more about this?

It's hard to tell you about it without getting into spoilers - all I can say is things are not as they appear to be going into the game regarding Venom Snake. There is a reason for it.

*** THIS IS NOT A SPOILER - If you have played the previous games or watched the trailers***

This game is about revenge. This game is about how Big Boss goes from being the Hero in MGS 3, Peace Walker and Ground Zeroes to the villian in Metal Gear 1 and 2 (MSX/Nitnendo games, not MGS1 and MGS2 for PS1 and PS2). This game is about the lengths people are willing to go to to achieve what they set out to do. This game gives more insight into Les Enfant Terribles, and may involve such characters as Psycho Mantis, and Liquid Snake amongst others, and how those characters came to be who they are in later games. It's going to be one hell of a ride.

Man, i can't wait!

Around the Network

Anfebious said:

It's a lot like Peace Walker so I thought it would score a bit less than that one. I guess I was wrong!

You have Ground Zeroes to see how the game will be... I don't think it is really like Peace Walker to be fair.

ethomaz said:

Anfebious said:

You have Ground Zeroes to see how the game will be... I don't think it is really like Peace Walker to be fair.

Well it is mission based and it has a mother base where you can bring your captured soldiers and upgrade different teams to unlock different items. Sounds a lot like Peace Walker to me.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Samus Aran said:

I didn't ask if there would be cutscenes, I just want more gameplay than cutscenes this time. I don't mind a focus on story, but the main focus should always be stealth gameplay.

Seems you're in luck

Equally sparse are the game's story elements. Beyond an outlandish, action-packed opening sequence - The Phantom Pain is a remarkably economical affair, telling its tale of '80s cold war subterfuge through snatches of radio dialogue (courtesy of Ocelot), and the occasional return to Mother Base between missions. It's fascinating to see such restraint from Kojima, a man well known for his self-indulgence and excess.

unlike most open world games, happy to bury their middling mechanics beneath an excess of window dressing - The Phantom Pain's strength is in the way it confidently allows its wonderful, fiercely-refined systems to come to the fore. Metal Gear Solid 5 is a game that delivers its singularly ambitious vision - absolute freedom within the stealth genre's familiar framework - with laser-focussed clarity.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-24-metal-gear-solid-5-review-impressions

That preview ticks all the right boxes for me. Sounds great.

SvennoJ said:
Samus Aran said:

I didn't ask if there would be cutscenes, I just want more gameplay than cutscenes this time. I don't mind a focus on story, but the main focus should always be stealth gameplay.

Seems you're in luck

Equally sparse are the game's story elements. Beyond an outlandish, action-packed opening sequence - The Phantom Pain is a remarkably economical affair, telling its tale of '80s cold war subterfuge through snatches of radio dialogue (courtesy of Ocelot), and the occasional return to Mother Base between missions. It's fascinating to see such restraint from Kojima, a man well known for his self-indulgence and excess.

unlike most open world games, happy to bury their middling mechanics beneath an excess of window dressing - The Phantom Pain's strength is in the way it confidently allows its wonderful, fiercely-refined systems to come to the fore. Metal Gear Solid 5 is a game that delivers its singularly ambitious vision - absolute freedom within the stealth genre's familiar framework - with laser-focussed clarity.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-24-metal-gear-solid-5-review-impressions

That preview ticks all the right boxes for me. Sounds great.

Sounds great!

Awesome i knew it's going to score well :D i'm definitely buying it! i was a little disappointed when i learned that it's going to be like PW only bigger and more complex i don't like the idea of investing in everything in a game like Metal Gear when i got used to linearity so much in previous games.

I hope the game proves me wrong!