By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Gaming Discussion - Video Game Piracy costs the industry as much as it makes!

Burek said:
ZhugeEX said:

What's your proof for that? Because it aligns with other independant report. Plus the company that estimated the revenue figure is very much respected for their prior reports. 

You can't just say they're making it up without actually looking into it more. 

But yeh, they are of course sensationalised a bit for the sake of the report. As other research firms estimate that as little as 5% of that revenue would actually go to the video game companies. So only 5% is the actual theoretical loss out of that total amount. $74b is just how much the overall cost is based on how much is pirated. 

I cannot follow you. First you ask me for proof that numbers are exaggerated, then in next sentence you yourself say that they are exaggerated.

As I said previously, they want to paint the picture of $160 billion being readily available to the industry, half of which is "stolen" by pirates.

$74 billion is the total revenue that is generated from pirated games content.

However it's estimated that only around 5% of that revenue would actually go to the game industry should piracy not exist.

You get what I'm saying?

It's exagerrated in the sense that it does try and make it look like $160b industry as you say, but it's not exagerrated in the $74b number being the revenue that could be generated from all pirated game downloads. 

Around the Network
LuckyTrouble said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
I mean...you might think it's an intelligent view. But arguing for illegal activity doesn't seem very intelligent to me

I have never once argued for piracy. What I argue against are the assumed impacts of piracy. I have never once said piracy should not be illegal. I have never even implied that it's okay and justified. I simply have the ability to look at piracy in a way that, you know, actually makes sense and is supported by available facts and experience rather than assumptions.

I guess. It's just really weird how hard you defend it. We'll never have any actual evidence on how much it actually impacts the industry, so I'm not sure what available facts you're talking about.

I bet the Wii U would sell more than 15M LTD by the end of 2015. He bet it would sell less. I lost.

I'm sorry but that's sort of bad reporting, equating every pirated copy with a lost sale. It shows some very naive thinking in my opinion.

Is piracy a problem? Yes. Does it make exaggerating right? No, of course not.

Anfebious said:
Burek said:

In Croatia everybody pirates everything. But the industry adapted: Instead of hunting down individuals for a few movies or games (which is pointless anyway) the Government and the copyright holders reached an agreement by which downloading content is not persecuted (not legal either), and in return they get a small percentage of sales of every recordable media (CD, DVD, harddrives, USB sticks etc...). Everybody wins in a way, without expensive litigation.

That's a great move, too bad that Argentina doesn't realy do anything aside from blocking TPB (which can be bypassed easily by typing "TPB proxy" on google).

People still use TPB? Kickass and Extratorrent are much better, and of course private sites are a must if you seek quality.

Another winner from piracy are ISPs, they make good money from all the people choosing more expensive, faster packages, retailers sell truckloads of harddrives and USB sticks etc. 

ohmylanta1003 said:
LuckyTrouble said:
ohmylanta1003 said:
I mean...you might think it's an intelligent view. But arguing for illegal activity doesn't seem very intelligent to me

I have never once argued for piracy. What I argue against are the assumed impacts of piracy. I have never once said piracy should not be illegal. I have never even implied that it's okay and justified. I simply have the ability to look at piracy in a way that, you know, actually makes sense and is supported by available facts and experience rather than assumptions.

I guess. It's just really weird how hard you defend it. We'll never have any actual evidence on how much it actually impacts the industry, so I'm not sure what available facts you're talking about.

Once again, I don't defend it. Defending it implies I'm okay with it. All I support when it comes to piracy is understanding what it is, as well as the fact that we can't measure the impact of it. That's it. I have to put it into a lot of words in a lot of different ways to appease some people, sure, but, once again, I have never actually tried to justify piracy or defend those that turn to it. Understanding is worlds apart from supporting.

Around the Network

Without piracy, console gaming would've died at the PS2 in South America. I guarantee that. Nowadays, pirating games has become more difficult (or less practiced), so it's a good thing piracy existed. Gaming was expensive and "bad" for your kid... But you can get cheap games this way; that introduced TONS of kids to gaming. And as they grew, they kept gaming, and once piracy became harder or whatever happened to it, they started buying legitimate games. At least all of my friends had a PS3, none pirated it (now only one has a PS4, but that's another story), which is weird because everyone that had a PS2 only bought pirated games.

Just something I thought of sharing. Sure, gaming in SA should die soon enough (I'll give it 7 years), but pirate games are better than no games if you ask me.

Edit: Forgot to mention. I mean console gaming.

Bet with bluedawgs: I say Switch will outsell PS4 in 2018, he says PS4 will outsell Switch. He's now permabanned, but the bet will remain in my sig.

NNID: Slarvax - Steam: Slarvax - Friend Code:  SW 7885-0552-5988

If video games cost between 5-10 there would be less piracy. I don't pirate games $10 or less on steam. Over that it's either going to be pirating or buying cheap keys. There are often several games per month you want to play - if your disposable income doesn't allow you to play them, well you have no choice but to pirate.

contestgamer said:
If video games cost between 5-10 there would be less piracy. I don't pirate games $10 or less on steam. Over that it's either going to be pirating or buying cheap keys. There are often several games per month you want to play - if your disposable income doesn't allow you to play them, well you have no choice but to pirate.

Although low cost is nice, you have to recognize that development costs have only gone up for those big games that everybody wants and expects. Game prices are still actually lower than they were back in the days of the SNES and such, even if you completely ignore inflation. As I've said before though, your financial situation does not justify piracy. Entertainment is, using the more common definition, a luxury. You do not need to play these games like you need to eat, drink, and have adequate shelter. You are not entitled to be able to play these games. Entertainment exists for those that can afford it. That is the nature of the entertainment industry as a whole, and it always has been.

They should consider themselves lucky they got $83B in revenue. This is a masssive industry and is still growing. They need to shut up and get back to making games.

LuckyTrouble said:
contestgamer said:

Although low cost is nice, you have to recognize that development costs have only gone up for those big games that everybody wants and expects. Game prices are still actually lower than they were back in the days of the SNES and such, even if you completely ignore inflation. As I've said before though, your financial situation does not justify piracy. Entertainment is, using the more common definition, a luxury. You do not need to play these games like you need to eat, drink, and have adequate shelter. You are not entitled to be able to play these games. Entertainment exists for those that can afford it. That is the nature of the entertainment industry as a whole, and it always has been.

Movie have bigger budgets yet costs less than games. I also don't believe that anything digital should be a luxury - I think people deserve to have whatever it is they can get without causing direct harm to another person. If you can't afford to buy a game, you should still be entitled to experiencing that. Life is too short.