By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - Movies & TV - If Avatar has a 10 or 20 year anniversary re release can it pass the 3 billion mark?

d21lewis said:
I don't think Avatar is as beloved as its box office might have us believe. It would be like that Phantom Menace rerelease.

/ end thread.

I doubt there will ever be real demand for an Avatar re-release. Especially after people realize they didn't even want a sequel with Avatar 2.

Around the Network

Maybe, I would think rather than going 8k, (it was 4K in Imax I believe) that he would do very high frame rate - say 120 fps.

Going to see the movie was an experience. And unlike some of the suggestions here, No 3D wasn't 'New.' 3D had been around a long time. Even Alfred Hitchcock made a 3D movie!

See: http://www.amazon.com/Dial-M-Murder-Blu-ray-3D/dp/B008ERNLTS

What was different with Avatar's 3D was that it was Really, Really good 3D.

The big innovation was completely rendered 3D worlds and characters. We realistic facial expressions and movements that were on the other side of the uncanny valley. I walked out going 'how did they do that?'

I know people like to say, 'It's just like xx story,' but they end up going through 15 different stories - which mean it isn't exactly any one of them, but a mix of all of them and told in a different way. Even William Shakespeare ripped off all sorts of legends and stories, but he interpreted them and told them in a new and different way.

Maybe, it just depends on how it's done. Avatar was real 'go to the movies' experience. A re-issue would have to offer something that people can't get at home. And with 8K TV probably being fairly normal by then, it may be a challenge.

Really not sure I see any point of Consol over PC's since Kinect, Wii and other alternative ways to play have been abandoned. 

Top 50 'most fun' game list coming soon!

Tell me a funny joke!

binary solo said:
Robert_Downey_Jr. said:

Dances with Wolves, 1990

I don't recall bulldozers mowing down sacred trees in Dances With Wolves.

no but the white man soldier infiltrating the Nav-I mean Native Americans and then eventually siding with them as the other white men start to encroach is pretty similar.

I am Iron Man

nanarchy said:

personally I believe you are massively overestimating Cameron, he hasn't made anything of quality since before the turn of the century. Avatar was a terrible movie that was a smash hit due to outstanding 3D effects for the time. unless he has found a new gimic for the sequels I can't see any of them being massive successes.

Even if Avatar was a terrible movie (it wasn't), and it's sequels were equally as terrible (entertaining, but not groundbreaking), they would likely still make more than a billion per movie. Look at the Transformers movies, which are actually terrible.

Avatar isn't as well liked as it's numbers may suggest. Most people I know who saw it said they never wanted to see it again -saying the main reason they saw it was due to hype and being touted as the best 3D movie experience/most expensive movie, not because they had true interest in it. It's all only personal accounts but still. I also have no desire to ever see it again, the movie was really boring... and idk, nothing about it really makes me wanna sit through 2hrs of a 3D Pocahontas