By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169
jigokutamago said:
What I don't get is people that don't consider things piracy even though they are.

Listening to music on youtube? THAT'S PIRACY.

Playing an old game online? THAT'S PIRACY.

Downloading a copyrighted image. THAT'S PIRACY.

Nope.

Maybe.

Yes.

Depends on your legal jurisdiction, but here our anti-piracy legislation does not make watching / listening to streaming content illegal whatever the source, therefore it is not piracy. What's priacy is defined in law, not by personal opinion. Different countries will have different definitions, but the youtube example is certainly not universal. And neither is, I suspect, the old games online thing, though you might need to expand on what you mean by that for me to be able to come to a conclusion.

“The fundamental cause of the trouble is that in the modern world the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt.” - Bertrand Russell

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."

Jimi Hendrix

Around the Network
midrange said:
Cobretti2 said:
interesting convo so far

let me throw in a new spanner into the works.

What if you own the original published copy but download for convenience a digital one?

what about being frustrated with the DRM on some games that you can't get them to work when you have nero installed as they assume oh no mr pirate and are forced to get a crack to crack the legit game you just installed?

If you own the original published copy, then you are not pirating, you are emulating. This is the basic argument for keeping emulators as not illegal. When you buy a game, you buy the ability to play the code, so you are allowed to play said code on an emulator. However, you are not allowed to redistribute said code. Redistributing and recieving without the purchase of the game is pirating and then things become illegal. This is the basic argument against emulators.

as for your second hypothetical, apply it to a physical purchase. If you buy a game and it doesn't work, you bring it to the attention to the company (perhaps through a lawsuit). But you don't go stealing/pirating another copy

So is it alright to torrent a movie if you have an old VHS copy somewhere in the basement or bought the tape for 25c in a garage sale?
Same for games, find a bunch of old N64 games in a garage sale, does that give you the right to download the N64 roms to play on pc?
Should I not have payed for GOG's Baldur's gate II version, since I have the original?

I've used the MAME emulator as well, tons of fun. Yet although I owned some of the games on different formats, ofcourse I didn't own any of the original arcade machines. It's a grey area. When does a game become abandonware.

Lol they're all millionaires?

How many of them are millionaires exactly? There are hundreds of people working on a CoD game. How many are millionaires?

ps3-sales! said:

I don't understand it. And this includes everything. From PC games, to console games, to handheld, to music and movies. 

What's the big deal? Everybody (from this site at least) talks all high and mighty about "Oh piracy is terrible you aren't supporting the industry blah blah blah"

Oh please. 

With some things such as independent games/music; I can understand. Usually produced by a small amount of people they rely on sales to pay their bills. 

But for other things: mainstream music, movies, games ect. The stigma is silly. 

You can't sit there and tell me if I pirate the yearly Madden or Call of Duty game like that's actually going to make a difference. Or if I download Rihanna/Jay Z's new album. THOSE PEOPLE ARE RICH AS FUCK. 

These people are millionaires. Could I afford to pay for the 30+ GB of music on my computer? Um no. (However I do pay for Spotify because it's awesome)

What about Jailbreaking your Iphone? I would consider that piracy. Or modding any old console. Lke seriously. 

Some people act like it's the end of the world and the worst part is YOU PROBABLY HAVE DONE PIRACY AT LEAST ONCE.

Stop acting so high and mighty. Would the industry fail if everyone pirated things? Duh. Will that ever happen? No.

EDIT: Glad there is at least a discussion so far. I would like to clear up one issue. While I will emulate games, mod old consoles (Wii, Iphone, ect) I do not pirate new games. I buy all my Ps4 games (mostly digitally). I am not trying to excuse my pirating history. But I will say that I support my Ps4 and the video game industry as a whole. I never have any intention to buy/own any game/music/movie that I pirate. Just wanted to clear that up.

As far as music is concerned, the piracy issue is more of a historical problem rather than a current one. This is because a lot of people who used to pirate music don't have to anymore because of streaming services. See, back when the internet was still somewhat new to most people and when sites like Napster first started to appear, it went viral. In the early 2000's, the music industry actually did see a huge drop in sales around the same time piracy became rampet. Since musicians already already get screwed over by the major labels, this meant that they were getting screwed even more and it also put future artist's careers into jeapordy because the companies may not want to invest as much in future artist's as much as they did with the ones in the past. In fact, that actually happened. Look at music videos in the late 1980's and throughout the 1990's and compare them to what you saw in the 2000's. Those older videos had an actual budget. The newer ones did not. So when it comes to music, piracy actually did hurt the music industry.

I don't think piracy was as much of an issue outside the music industry but there is another issue wih pirating that does impact every facet of entertainment. The very act of it and the very idea of it gives the major corporations an excuse to screw over the consumer. It allows them to use it as an excuse to exclusde content, charge for extra content, or whatever. 

Then there's the final issue. The money issue. The most common justification is that you're stealing from millionaires and billionaires. But it's still stealing. Why should there be a double standard? Why should stealing only be considered immoral for one group of people and not another? You're basicaly punishing rich people just because they're rich. That isn't right. So it isn't an issue of who has what amount of money. It's principle.

Check out my art blog: http://jon-erich-art.blogspot.com

Just a random thought.
For the people that hate pirating of software, why does DRM get so much hate if it can stem the amount of piracy. If MS had went with a version of DRM for the Xbox One that would be embedded into disc instead of 24 hr online check ins would people have been better with that?

Around the Network

Never go full retard op.

I don't mind pirates as long as they keep their mouths shut and don't complain about the stuff they didn't pay for or throw lousy excuses in my face.

binary solo said:
jigokutamago said:
What I don't get is people that don't consider things piracy even though they are.

Listening to music on youtube? THAT'S PIRACY.

Playing an old game online? THAT'S PIRACY.

Downloading a copyrighted image. THAT'S PIRACY.

Nope.

Maybe.

Yes.

Depends on your legal jurisdiction, but here our anti-piracy legislation does not make watching / listening to streaming content illegal whatever the source, therefore it is not piracy. What's priacy is defined in law, not by personal opinion. Different countries will have different definitions, but the youtube example is certainly not universal. And neither is, I suspect, the old games online thing, though you might need to expand on what you mean by that for me to be able to come to a conclusion.

LOL, the law is very funny.

Legal: Downloading file from youtube to a temporary location and then deleting it afterwards.

Illegal: Downloading file from site to a temporary location and then deleting it afterwards.

Stealing is wrong, just because companies are wealthy doesn't mean you can take what you think they don't deserve. There rich for a reason, can you imagine a world where Walmart, Apple, MS and just about every other wealthy corporation went bankrupt? The world would fall apart, without money, they cant innovate, or supply us with good quality products.

Money makes the world go around. Its a simple rule of life.

In any security class they will tell you that it is impossible to prevent all crime/theft/unauthorized access. Human psychology is based on risk vs reward. You need to make the opportunity cost of the action you are trying to prevent high enough to reduce the number of people that will try.

Piracy will always happen. There are always people that are immoral and think they are entitled to what they want at other peoples expense. However, by implenting DRM you raise that opportunity cost by requiring more work or education on how to pirate. Instead of of the whole family including grandma stealing its just greesy cousin Vinny.

Piracy is wrong. I don't give a fuq if you never intended to buy it. You didn't pay, and therefore have ZERO rights to that media. Go choke on something.