By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169
FragilE^ said:

A pirated copy is NOT the same as a lost sale. NEVER. *edit* never the same, you cannot put an equal sign between them. Some might be, others might turn into sales, most was never intended to be sales anyways *edit*

A lot of people download music/movies/games as "demos" and then proceed to buy them. If you're on the fence, and you get to try it, people often spend money on stuff they like.
Piracy has been shown to INCREASE sales. There have been multiple studies on this, and also on the overall impact of piracy. It has never been as bad as people make it out to be, and it never will be.

Look at Spotify and Netflix. People will always pay for good services. The industry is evolving, digital media is changing and creators need to adapt.

I buy a lot of indie games, I usually buy every other game I want on steam or gog (often brand new). I go to the cinema every now and then. I've been to 4 concerts, and I'm definetely going to visit more of them before I die. Call it petty crime or whatever, but I seriously feel like I can pirate every now and then without ever doing any harm, and if everyone did the same as me I still feel like the industries would be 100% fine.

It has also been shown that demos decrease game sales.

You can justify it all you want, it's still wrong. Go tell the goverment you'll pay your taxes every oher year and donate some money to a good cause now and then to make it even. It's not for you to decide what you'll pay for and what not.

Around the Network

What ever it's stealing or copying i don't fu**ing care, blame new world order, civilization, dollar domination, American culture influence, while making the world like this. If we cannot cope with first world country then our people cannot follow everything. American and western make people become addicted with their product while increasing their price, while our money currency cannot follow the price. So like it or not piracy is a natural thing, as long there is a gap between rich people (county ) and poor people (country ) then there will be piracy, blame capitalism. deal with it, no piracy there will be no market.

To a certain extent I do agree that the system as a whole is flawed on a fundamental level, especially now as we move ever further towards the obsolescence of physical media and the rise of digital distribution. I'll even go so far as to accept that a pirated copy does not necessarily equate to a lost sale, and there are yet more grey areas in regards to out of print or abundantly rare media that would otherwise be nigh impossible to obtain through proper channels.

However, I do not accept these as excuses for this behavior. Sure, maybe they wouldn't have purchased the media anyway, but what kind of retarded mental gymnastics does one have to go through to think that somehow justifies their actions? I'm not saying don't pirate, at this point it's pretty much just a fact of life, but please don't pretend like you're some sort of freedom fighter sticking it to the man or some deluded nonsense like that.

This is truly a dumb question. Piracy and drm are on both extremes of the ways the industry gets fucked.

Burek said:
leyendax69 said:
Burek said:
I download music, movies and series all the time. If I had to pay for them, I wouldn't ever do it. So it's not like those people are losing sales from me, they would never see my money anyway.
This way, they can at least hope that I like what I hear/see and that I will recommend it to somebody with much higher moral standards who will buy the product.

I had X360 and happily pirated all the games, so MS at least made money from the console, Kinect and two extra controllers that I bought. If they enabled XOne to do the same, I'd gladly buy it.

So you are telling me that all the stuff you download is shit and never worth the money at all and yet you keep doing it. You sure have a whole lot of free time. Please, we all know these are stupid excuses to feel better with yourself and convice that "it's not that bad" when it actually means that you want everything for free.

I'm not going to say I haven't pirated something in my life because that would be bs but haven't done it for a long while and I doubt that's gonna change. It's just wrong especially if you are not a kid and you actually work.

I personally don't care about piracy but people who makes up excuses and try to justify/hidde their real intentions are plain pathetic and unable of putting themselves in the shoes of the rest.

Absolutely not. I only pirate good stuff that I know I will enjoy. I certainly don't want to waste my time and disc space on a ton of crap that's floating around.

I am just saying that I would not pay for that good stuff either:

- Good movie - I'm not going to the movie theater, paying ridiculous ticket prices to get bothered by people talking, chewing or texting. I'm certainly not paying for a DVD towatch a movie once or twice and then it collects dust on the shelf.    Find it, download it, watch it, delete it. 

- TV series - I'm not going to wait for a TV network in my country to buy the show, then wait for an assigned month, day or hour to watch it or record it. Find it, download it, watch it, delete it. If it's bad, forget it, if it's good keep watching new episodes.

- Music - I've been pirating music for 30 years, sure in the beginning you had to put up with crap quality of cassette tapes, but I don't see a reason to pay €15-20 for a CD that might have a couple of good songs, and I'm certainly not paying one euro per song. There is very little quality music out there anyway, I'm certainly not downloading every crappy album.

As for underlined: I work. I just think that I can spend my money on other things if I don't spend it on things that I can get for free. And I don't really give a crap if it's wrong or right, it's my duty to pirate it and company's duty to prevent me from doing it. Sometimes they are successful, most of the times they're not. It has nothing to do with being a kid, it has everything to do with not wanting to pay for things.

And you and all the rest can simply go around moralizing and frowning upon me and the like, it does not really bother me. I never attempted to hide my true intentions, they are written right here.

I forgot /s for the bolded. Since you are not trying to hide it guess it's alright, dont care about your morals nor I was trying to change the way you do things and make you see the light. Just dont come here and act like it's the cool thing to do.

Around the Network

I think johnny Depp is excellent!

Cobretti2 said:
some more spanners into the argument.

Why are set top boxes with recording functionality legal to sell? Isn't that pirating stuff you see on tv to a device you have at home?

borrowing original content from a fried to enjoy that doesn't belong to you, is that not stealing revenue from sales to to original IP owner?

They are legal to sell as long as they don't autoskip commercials... Actually I can't find what came of that court case https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20120525/04185919074/tv-networks-file-legal-claims-saying-skipping-commercials-is-copyright-infringement.shtml

Recording to watch later is legal, distributing that recording is not. I guess this describes that but I'm too tired atm to read legal

Not copyright infringement:
(11) the making imperceptible, by or at the direction of a member of a private household, of limited portions of audio or video content of a motion picture, during a performance in or transmitted to that household for private home viewing, from an authorized copy of the motion picture, or the creation or provision of a computer program or other technology that enables such making imperceptible and that is designed and marketed to be used, at the direction of a member of a private household, for such making imperceptible, if no fixed copy of the altered version of the motion picture is created by such computer program or other technology.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/17/110

As long as you don't steal it from your friend you're in the clear. Right of first sale doctrine and such. You can lend, trade or sell your legal copy.
http://www.generalpatent.com/copyright-101
Also too tired to read through that :p

As a 16 year old broke kid. I do pirate a lot. Apart from hardware I've never bought any original software. All of my consoles are cracked and I even bought some cracked from the store . I've been very lucky to be able to pirate a ton of games throughout my whole life. I've been able to play multiple games from platforming, shooters, RPG's and so on. I've been able to download any game my heart desires ( If I had the hardware to play it on obviously ) and although I didn't finish all of them, I've found a couple of gems which I wouldn't even have considered If I was paying out of my wallet.

Getting a PS4 would mean that I would have to stop pirating ( Mainly since it's very hard to actually crack a PS4 and their may be online restrictions after cracking the console ) and just buy fewer games which I already know that I'm going to enjoy.

TL;DR: Pirating helps you branch out in terms of gaming since their's no financial risk. So pirating is actually pretty awesome to help see what games genres you like .

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Captain_Yuri said:
I know right! Pirating is hard work you know. We have to sail the 7 seas and fight giant tentacle monsters so they don't steal our hawt pirate babes. Come on guys!

But personally, I don't mind either way and I have a quite a few systems that are hacked. I still buy games for them though

Extra cool points if you realised this was job character models from FFXI, showing a redmage mithra, a corsair elvaan, and a  ninja hume.

ps3-sales! said:

Could I afford to pay for the 30+ GB of music on my computer?

Spotify + playlists on youtube + listning to radio => why would you download any music? maybe thats just me though.

I grew up in Eastern Block and we couldn't even buy legal PC games in 90s. I have PC jewels from that time I can't determine if they are original legal copies or pirated. They were shrink wrapped and CDs were labeled but they didn't have manuals and any trace of publisher.

I'm against piracy but in my country around 80% of people earn no more than 500 euros a month, many less. How do you think they feel about 60 euro games LOL that's more than 10% of their monthly income.

My Etsy store

My Ebay store

Deus Ex (2000) - a game that pushes the boundaries of what the video game medium is capable of to a degree unmatched to this very day.