By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169
Anfebious said:
Dusk said:

Okay? So they try but they don't care? What? That's contradictory. If they didn't care they wouldn't try.

Huh? Why are you attempting to turn this into a first vs third world thing? What I stated was a fact. I'm aware that many third world countries haven't had this, that's why I specified. They often have bigger things to worry about. Not sure what you are getting at. Seriously, third world countries making first world poor? What the hell are you talking about. Remove you head from your ass.

Again, like I said, if you feel nothing will happen, then go ahead to your local authority with all your pirated stuff and see how it goes.

If you are unable to get something that you want legitimately, that sucks. There's no denying it, but it is what it is. It's still just something you want, not need. Now if it's something you need, like shelter, food, and the general life necessities, then that's terrible and in a perfect world that wouldn't happen and is easily justifiable to try and get through less than honest means, but a game or some music doesn't fall under that. You obviously have a roof, food, electricity, internet and computer/gaming console, so you aren't doing that bad.  

Sarcastic mode off.

Okay I'll be serious.

Yeah I'm not doing that bad, that's why I buy my games. I only pirate older games that are too hard to get. I don't think I'm hurting anyone by downloading Revelations: The demon slayer 23 years after it released. It's still wrong though and I acknowledge it. That's my whole opinion on the subject.

Also stop asking the cop question! No one would go to the police and show them their stuff. But just for lulz... would you do that?

Since I don't have any pirated software or music it's unnecessary. Did I pirate stuff at one point? Yes, but haven't done so in just under a decade or so. Do I have any of it anymore? No. Grey areas are so easily justifiable to ones self, but in the scheme of things, if you aren't able to do something as blatent as I said, then you know what you are doing is wrong. I know it's an extreme example, but it's meant to be hypothetical, however since you ignored it I challenged your convictions. I would never want you to actually go harm yourself in any way. My point is that I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do it, and if I'm unable to do this with a clear conscience then it's obviously not right to do so. 

http://www.amazon.com/Revelations-Demon-Slayer-Game-Boy/dp/B00001ZUHA There's the game you are speaking of. Not even a bad price. I understand it might be harder to actually get into argentina, but that's not saying it's impossible.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

Around the Network
ps3-sales! said:

I don't understand it. And this includes everything. From PC games, to console games, to handheld, to music and movies. 

What's the big deal? Everybody (from this site at least) talks all high and mighty about "Oh piracy is terrible you aren't supporting the industry blah blah blah"

Oh please. 

With some things such as independent games/music; I can understand. Usually produced by a small amount of people they rely on sales to pay their bills. 

But for other things: mainstream music, movies, games ect. The stigma is silly. 

You can't sit there and tell me if I pirate the yearly Madden or Call of Duty game like that's actually going to make a difference. Or if I download Rihanna/Jay Z's new album. THOSE PEOPLE ARE RICH AS FUCK. 

These people are millionaires. Could I afford to pay for the 30+ GB of music on my computer? Um no. (However I do pay for Spotify because it's awesome)

What about Jailbreaking your Iphone? I would consider that piracy. Or modding any old console. Lke seriously. 

Some people act like it's the end of the world and the worst part is YOU PROBABLY HAVE DONE PIRACY AT LEAST ONCE.

Stop acting so high and mighty. Would the industry fail if everyone pirated things? Duh. Will that ever happen? No.

EDIT: Glad there is at least a discussion so far. I would like to clear up one issue. While I will emulate games, mod old consoles (Wii, Iphone, ect) I do not pirate new games. I buy all my Ps4 games (mostly digitally). I am not trying to excuse my pirating history. But I will say that I support my Ps4 and the video game industry as a whole. I never have any intention to buy/own any game/music/movie that I pirate. Just wanted to clear that up.

If you don't think it makes a difference, just look at music revenue pre and post Napster.

Dusk said:

Since I don't have any pirated software or music it's unnecessary. Did I pirate stuff at one point? Yes, but haven't done so in just under a decade or so. Do I have any of it anymore? No. Grey areas are so easily justifiable to ones self, but in the scheme of things, if you aren't able to do something as blatent as I said, then you know what you are doing is wrong. I know it's an extreme example, but it's meant to be hypothetical, however since you ignored it I challenged your convictions. I would never want you to actually go harm yourself in any way. My point is that I asked myself the same question and came to the conclusion that I wouldn't do it, and if I'm unable to do this with a clear conscience then it's obviously not right to do so. 

http://www.amazon.com/Revelations-Demon-Slayer-Game-Boy/dp/B00001ZUHA There's the game you are speaking of. Not even a bad price. I understand it might be harder to actually get into argentina, but that's not saying it's impossible.

The price is perfect but I would never buy stuff outside the country given our limitations on imported items. I put that game as an example though, I didn't pirate it and I'm not planning to buy it (I admit I am interested in it though).

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

TheDarkBender said:
ganoncrotch said:

What if you had a method of making an exact copy of his car? without any contact with his original or taking from his car or taking from anyone else who had the same car? Would that be okay then to give his car to someone who couldn't ever hope to afford it, or should that person work harder and walk until they can afford the thing they otherwise could have access to if they were richer? Even if in reality some people just would never be able to afford those things.

If he can't afford it, then he shouldn't get it. It's that simple.
Why would he need a billionaire's car anyways, when there are far more cheaper cars available on the market? It's not like there is only one car, and only rich people can afford it. If he really wants that one, he has to work for it. Mark Cuban did the same, so why shouldn't it apply to anyone else?
And the car manufacturer is still losing money, so it isn't without any consequences. If everyone just copied cars, what do you think will happen to the car manufacturers?

And that's the same reason why people shouldn't pirate. You aren't forced to buy that games that cost 60 euros, there are far more cheaper games available if you can't afford that. Or just wait for a while until there's a discount or something, or just buy budget games. For example, Steam is full of cheap games. You don't have to make a lot of money to afford it.

The 2 bold parts, if you can explain to me how those make sense I'll perfectly agree with you, but if it's someone who doesn't have the money to buy something, how does the manufacturer of that thing somehow lose money which the person who now has a copy of the thing he couldn't afford loose money?

Some things are made by Piracy, Notch effectively told people to pirate his game... fuck it I did years ago Pirated it, since then I've bought 2 copies of it because the game is amazing but I simply couldn't afford it at the time and I loved his mentality to it, I would more take the word of a Multi Billionaire about how piracy didn't effect his cash rather than some salty people who had shit projects shut down and tried to blame piracy for it if I'm honest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/01/12/minecraft-creator-notch-tells-players-to-pirate-his-game/

Why not check me out on youtube and help me on the way to 2k subs over at www.youtube.com/stormcloudlive

Nautilus said:
method114 said:

You can't emulate games or download music and then say pirating mainstream games is wrong. You basically excuse any pirating that you do and say everyone else is wrong for pirating.

I pirate games but only to try them out and if I like that game after and hour or two I stop playing and go buy it.

Wait, i didnt say that.I said that emulating old games(games that are 2 or 3 generations older) should be made legal, because it would be basically free marketing for the companies for games that they would have no more way to profit, be it mainstream games like final fantasy or more obscures ones like King of the Dragons.And it would be a way to preserve those games for future generations.Now games that are from generations 7 and 8 should remain illegal(and also i never emulated or pirated any games from that generation), until new generations arrive.

I pirate old games not because i dont want to waste money on them, i do it because i want to experience them, the excellent games made before i was born and have no way to play them now, and also for the convinience.

Food for thought:Lets say Van Gogh was still alive today and had ownership of all the work he has done, and by the time he was going to die, he decides to burn all his work and be made illegal to try to copy or/and own something he did.Tecnically speaking, he has that right.But woulkd you accept that, being(hypothetically speaking) a huge fan of his work, having a way to apreciate all his work, not stealing the items itselfs, but just making a copy of the data of his work?

The problem with your theory is that some of these companies release a pack of old games on the newer systems. X1 just got something like this recently. When everyone is just emulaitng those games it's less incentive for companies to do something like that because a large portion of the gaming community isn't clamouring for it. Why? Cause they already have it on their system being emulated. A lot of these old games can still be experienced by buying the consoles and games online. They may be more expensive but that's the price you pay to not pirate games.

Now I know I said I only pirate games to try and then buy them but I honestly don't care about emualting. I just think it's very hyportical to be ok with emulating older games but not pirating new ones.  I personally don't care to much about this pirating/downloading music and all of that stuff to much. When I was a kid I had no money and I would literally pirate everything I could. Now I'm older have a great job so I don't do it anymore. 

People keep saying that if you pirate games it's stealing and it's just not that simple. If I got to your house and steal your car that is very different then if I went to your house and had a machine that could make an exact copy of your car. You would still have you car and I would have one just like it I doubt you would care one bit I know I wouldn't. This whole piracy thing is a confusing issue and people can make it sound as blake and whtie as they want but it's just no matter how many times you repeat "it's stealing". 

Around the Network
ganoncrotch said:
TheDarkBender said:

If he can't afford it, then he shouldn't get it. It's that simple.
Why would he need a billionaire's car anyways, when there are far more cheaper cars available on the market? It's not like there is only one car, and only rich people can afford it. If he really wants that one, he has to work for it. Mark Cuban did the same, so why shouldn't it apply to anyone else?
And the car manufacturer is still losing money, so it isn't without any consequences. If everyone just copied cars, what do you think will happen to the car manufacturers?

And that's the same reason why people shouldn't pirate. You aren't forced to buy that games that cost 60 euros, there are far more cheaper games available if you can't afford that. Or just wait for a while until there's a discount or something, or just buy budget games. For example, Steam is full of cheap games. You don't have to make a lot of money to afford it.

The 2 bold parts, if you can explain to me how those make sense I'll perfectly agree with you, but if it's someone who doesn't have the money to buy something, how does the manufacturer of that thing somehow lose money which the person who now has a copy of the thing he couldn't afford loose money?

Some things are made by Piracy, Notch effectively told people to pirate his game... fuck it I did years ago Pirated it, since then I've bought 2 copies of it because the game is amazing but I simply couldn't afford it at the time and I loved his mentality to it, I would more take the word of a Multi Billionaire about how piracy didn't effect his cash rather than some salty people who had shit projects shut down and tried to blame piracy for it if I'm honest.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/01/12/minecraft-creator-notch-tells-players-to-pirate-his-game/

Well if the person really needed a car, he shouldn't have to go for a car far out of his price range i.e the car from the billionaire. There are many different alternatives. He would still need a car somehow, so instead he would buy a cheaper car. While the luxury car seller doesn't earn any money, the one selling cheaper cars does. Or, if he doesn't even have any money for that, he could opt for public transportation, thus money goes to that. If he was just able to copy the rich man's car, money wouldn't go anywhere, except maybe to the person selling the car copy thingy. That's the same with video games. Instead of money going to the creators, it either goes nowhere or it goes to the ones hosting the torrentsites (through ads etc.) which, in my opinion, doesn't really seem fair.

As for "If he can't afford it, then he shouldn't get it", there is a reason products, like cars etc., get made, and that's to make money. Companies sell their product(s), in order to recoup their costs and in the hope of being rewarded for the risk they've taken (profit). That seems like logic to me. As such, it seems logical that, if someone wants a product, he puts his money on the table for it because he thinks it's worth it. If he doesn't think it's worth it, he should keep his money and spend it on something else. That's just basic economy really.
And there are many alternatives. He could buy other products, or even get a loan (if he really wanted said car).

While I get what you're saying with the Minecraft example,  Minecraft is an anomaly. It's one of the, if not the, best selling game(s). It's a brilliant game and probably the most innovative game to come out in the last decade. There really aren't that many developers that can say the same about their game. If developers say everyone can pirate their game, it wouldn't mean that they would still recoup their costs.
I'm sure that Notch knew he had a great idea, and he just had to get it out there, even if it would be through piracy. Not every developer can say the same though. You could argue that those games just aren't worth it, of course, but then why go to the trouble of pirating it in the first place.

Moron

the-pi-guy said:
Mr.Playstation said:

Mate some countries don't give a damn about piracy. In my country police officers pirate and pirated games are sold in the open.

Honestly America and the U.K ( Throw in Australia ) are the only ones which seem to want to take down piracy rather than doing something worthwhile ( Like Sweden where Spotify originated ) to stop said pirating.

TL;DR: Piracy does not equally stealing otherwise governments would have stopped it quickly.

The ACTA trade agreement, signed in May 2011 by the United States, Japan, Switzerland, and the EU, requires that its parties add criminal penalties, including incarceration and fines, for copyright and trademark infringement, and obligated the parties to actively police for infringement

Not sure what Spotify has to do with piracy. 

"Spotify pays copyright holders royalties for streamed music."

http://www.reuters.com/article/2014/11/11/us-music-spotify-idUSKCN0IV1V420141111

Spotify offers a low cost option for subriscribers in which one is able to hear unlimited music without having to pay for every single song. That saves a lot of money for the average consumer but actually brings in an income to artists. Games don't all have to be $60 a pop, if piracy was that big of an issue for gaming we could possible see something like spotify come to gaming.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

You pay for Spotify, which effectively steals from musicians by not paying them nearly as much as they publicly claim, if anything at all. In my eyes that's worse than piracy because you're paying somebody else to essentially pirate for you.

Generally I only pirate if I don't think my laptop can definitely run the game at hand. Then if it works well enough I buy it. There are cases where I'll pirate to see if I like something, be it music or a game, and then I'll buy it to support the creator's work if I do enjoy it.

You should check out my YouTube channel, The Golden Bolt!  I review all types of video games, both classic and modern, and I also give short flyover reviews of the free games each month on PlayStation Plus to tell you if they're worth downloading.  After all, the games may be free, but your time is valuable!

ps3-sales! said:

I don't understand it. And this includes everything. From PC games, to console games, to handheld, to music and movies. 

What's the big deal? Everybody (from this site at least) talks all high and mighty about "Oh piracy is terrible you aren't supporting the industry blah blah blah"

Oh please. 

With some things such as independent games/music; I can understand. Usually produced by a small amount of people they rely on sales to pay their bills. 

But for other things: mainstream music, movies, games ect. The stigma is silly. 

You can't sit there and tell me if I pirate the yearly Madden or Call of Duty game like that's actually going to make a difference. Or if I download Rihanna/Jay Z's new album. THOSE PEOPLE ARE RICH AS FUCK. 

These people are millionaires. Could I afford to pay for the 30+ GB of music on my computer? Um no. (However I do pay for Spotify because it's awesome)

What about Jailbreaking your Iphone? I would consider that piracy. Or modding any old console. Lke seriously. 

Some people act like it's the end of the world and the worst part is YOU PROBABLY HAVE DONE PIRACY AT LEAST ONCE.

Stop acting so high and mighty. Would the industry fail if everyone pirated things? Duh. Will that ever happen? No.

EDIT: Glad there is at least a discussion so far. I would like to clear up one issue. While I will emulate games, mod old consoles (Wii, Iphone, ect) I do not pirate new games. I buy all my Ps4 games (mostly digitally). I am not trying to excuse my pirating history. But I will say that I support my Ps4 and the video game industry as a whole. I never have any intention to buy/own any game/music/movie that I pirate. Just wanted to clear that up.

There's so many people involved in the entertaintment industry and not all of them are big fat billionaires. It's also hard working people who want to make a living and they couldn't do it if everybody supported piracy.

This thread makes you look like a conceited and ignorant person, please stop spreading this kind of stupidity :)