By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169

Is over guys, no mater how many people try to fight piracy is useless, as long capitalism still exist, there will always be a pirate, the pirate is there to fight the world government, maybe there is a truth behind One piece story after all

Around the Network

Signature goes here!

I don't find a problem in certain cases. As you said all these million dollar singers/rappers have enough money so pirating is not a problem for music plus they go on tours, advertise etc, they are still making money regardless. For games it depends. My friend plays Sims and showed me how much an expansion pack is for it and that shredded my heart even if I don't play it. Plus included in those expansion packs should be mandatory things in the basic games so like Sims that is run by a damn corrupt company I would have no problem torrenting it, $40 per expansion pack??? RIDICULOUS! I do hate pirating comics though. I want to support them but I don't live in the city to walk around and find a store and finding older issues is already a hard task plus online doesn't have every issue such as #1s. Plus the prices for comics are becoming too much especially if you buy different series along with different corporations that charge to much (looking at you Marvel).

TruckOSaurus said:

No.... I can't because it's a physical object and you can't download physical objects.

EDIT: Wait, could I download the full parts schematics of a car, 3D print them all and build the car?

Hmm, pie.

TruckOSaurus said:

Lol, wait until 3D printer becoming more cheaper and mainstream ,

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:
Cause I have to sit through a bunch of unskippable FBI and Piracy warnings every time I want to start a movie, put up with annoying DRM on games, online accounts and other crap. All invented because of piracy.

It's my own fault. I pirated everything when I was young. First with a dual cassette deck or 2 vhs recorders, then copy parties, then bbs. I didn't buy my own movie/music/games until I was 18. Did I harm the industry, I don't know, I certainly didn't help them.

I learned the other side of the story when I started working in software development for a small company. At first it was sorta cool people liked our software so much that they wanted to copy it. But not so cool when the company was struggling and had to downsize. Since then it was a big annoyance, drm measures also made development and debugging harder. Can't simply swap devices to check what works on what.

Anyway I grew up and started seeing the pleasure in actually owning something you worked for, and building a collection of the best stuff. Or maybe I simply have more money than time nowadays, instead of having too much time to kill and no money to buy anything.

Maybe the industry has benefited from me after all. Tbh most of the follow ups of civilization I've bought day 1 part out of guilt next to the desire to play. The original (pirated) was one of my favorite games. Same with Doom and Wolfenstein. Pointless I know, won't be the same people anyway.

Anyway let us old people finance the hungry pirating habits of the next generation. That's how life works. Yet if you're still pirating in your late twenties, grow up!

same case for me, but i didn't pirate cassette tapes, quality is not that good. but it really started on CDs, plus if you are living in a developing country, piracy is really everywhere, which you can't help out. We knew that they are already making millions of $$$ but developing countries with their local artists,etc won't benefit from that.

Hence I'm helping to buy original copy and not to pirate any. But I won't force them not to buy the pirate since it is really practical but that is how our society is built.  The thing is, if you can afford and if you are in the bracket that can afford those original copies do it.  It is really each individual's perogative on how they really approach life.  I've downloaded pirated copies but I'm not the one selling those pirated copies.  The money you used to buy the pirated copies isn't going to the right people.  For those people who can afford, especially in more developed countries and better life, try to avoid piracy if possible. In developing countries it is really way too much so it is really more troublesome to the people who put all their efforts but they couldn't get their share of $$$ since most of their movies/music/etc went to the pirates.

Anfebious said:
I used to pirate a lot, I still do it (but a lot less). I learned to accept that and I'm fine with it now. I know I'm a piece of shit for doing it but at least I acknowledge it.

I get what you are saying, but at the same time it sounds like BS.

you are fine to say it here on a forum, on the net with a bit of anonymity. Would you walk into a police station and tell them you have stolen hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars worth of software and music? It's the consequences that are missing with piracy. Every person is likely good with their theft as long as they aren't caught. There are a few that truly regret what they did but weren't given any other options because of loss of jobs or whatever and they need food to survive or money for rent. Or a jacket to keep themselves from dying in the cold if they are homeless. This really isn't one of these circumstances.

don't get defensive, I'm not attacking you, just trying to give a different point of view.

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.

I only pirate when it is absolutely necessary. For example, before Earthbound came to Wii U I played it with emulators. I also have a English copy of Mother 3, but that's about it

Currently most hyped for: FFXV and Zelda U

Dusk said:
Anfebious said:
I used to pirate a lot, I still do it (but a lot less). I learned to accept that and I'm fine with it now. I know I'm a piece of shit for doing it but at least I acknowledge it.

you are fine to say it here on a forum, on the net with a bit of anonymity. Would you walk into a police station and tell them you have stolen hundreds or possibly thousands of dollars worth of software and music? It's the consequences that are missing with piracy. Every person is likely good with their theft as long as they aren't caught. There are a few that truly regret what they did but weren't given any other options because of loss of jobs or whatever and they need food to survive or money for rent. Or a jacket to keep themselves from dying in the cold if they are homeless. This really isn't one of these circumstances.

don't get defensive, I'm not attacking you, just trying to give a different point of view.

Mate some countries don't give a damn about piracy. In my country police officers pirate and pirated games are sold in the open.

Honestly America and the U.K ( Throw in Australia ) are the only ones which seem to want to take down piracy rather than doing something worthwhile ( Like Sweden where Spotify originated ) to stop said pirating.

TL;DR: Piracy does not equally stealing otherwise governments would have stopped it quickly.

Send a Friend Request On PSN :P

Mr.Playstation said:
Dusk said:

Mate some countries don't give a damn about piracy. In my country police officers pirate and pirated games are sold in the open.

Honestly America and the U.K ( Throw in Australia ) are the only ones which seem to want to take down piracy rather than doing something worthwhile ( Like Sweden where Spotify originated ) to stop said pirating.

TL;DR: Piracy does not equally stealing otherwise governments would have stopped it quickly.

Bootleggers and pirates who get caught in America DO get incarcerated. 

Just saying 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames