By using this site, you agree to our Privacy Policy and our Terms of Use. Close

Forums - PC Discussion - Why is there so much negativity toward piracy?

Have you ever pirated anything?

Yes 124 73.37%

No 45 26.63%

Total:169
Captain_Yuri said:
I know right! Pirating is hard work you know. We have to sail the 7 seas and fight giant tentacle monsters so they don't steal our hawt pirate babes. Come on guys!

But personally, I don't mind either way and I have a quite a few systems that are hacked. I still buy games for them though

heheh....tentacles

Around the Network

Music artists technically only make 10-15 cents per album, so really every sale counts. And its not only stealing from the artist, its stealing from the producers, mixers, writers, studio heads, backup singers, etc. Pirating music has lead to severely reduced sales for all artists.

Idk how it works for videogames, but I know even higher sales for a AAA game is usually still not enough money made.

I used to pirate a lot, I still do it (but a lot less). I learned to accept that and I'm fine with it now. I know I'm a piece of shit for doing it but at least I acknowledge it.

"I've Underestimated the Horse Power from Mario Kart 8, I'll Never Doubt the WiiU's Engine Again"

Burek said:
leyendax69 said:
Burek said:
I download music, movies and series all the time. If I had to pay for them, I wouldn't ever do it. So it's not like those people are losing sales from me, they would never see my money anyway.
This way, they can at least hope that I like what I hear/see and that I will recommend it to somebody with much higher moral standards who will buy the product.

I had X360 and happily pirated all the games, so MS at least made money from the console, Kinect and two extra controllers that I bought. If they enabled XOne to do the same, I'd gladly buy it.

So you are telling me that all the stuff you download is shit and never worth the money at all and yet you keep doing it. You sure have a whole lot of free time. Please, we all know these are stupid excuses to feel better with yourself and convice that "it's not that bad" when it actually means that you want everything for free.

I'm not going to say I haven't pirated something in my life because that would be bs but haven't done it for a long while and I doubt that's gonna change. It's just wrong especially if you are not a kid and you actually work.

I personally don't care about piracy but people who makes up excuses and try to justify/hidde their real intentions are plain pathetic and unable of putting themselves in the shoes of the rest.

Absolutely not. I only pirate good stuff that I know I will enjoy. I certainly don't want to waste my time and disc space on a ton of crap that's floating around.

I am just saying that I would not pay for that good stuff either:

- Good movie - I'm not going to the movie theater, paying ridiculous ticket prices to get bothered by people talking, chewing or texting. I'm certainly not paying for a DVD towatch a movie once or twice and then it collects dust on the shelf.    Find it, download it, watch it, delete it. 

- TV series - I'm not going to wait for a TV network in my country to buy the show, then wait for an assigned month, day or hour to watch it or record it. Find it, download it, watch it, delete it. If it's bad, forget it, if it's good keep watching new episodes.

- Music - I've been pirating music for 30 years, sure in the beginning you had to put up with crap quality of cassette tapes, but I don't see a reason to pay €15-20 for a CD that might have a couple of good songs, and I'm certainly not paying one euro per song. There is very little quality music out there anyway, I'm certainly not downloading every crappy album.

As for underlined: I work. I just think that I can spend my money on other things if I don't spend it on things that I can get for free. And I don't really give a crap if it's wrong or right, it's my duty to pirate it and company's duty to prevent me from doing it. Sometimes they are successful, most of the times they're not. It has nothing to do with being a kid, it has everything to do with not wanting to pay for things.

And you and all the rest can simply go around moralizing and frowning upon me and the like, it does not really bother me. I never attempted to hide my true intentions, they are written right here.

"I wasn't going to buy it anyway" is an awful excuse. It doesn't matter if you were or not. A thief never intends to pay for something. And you're still taking one or more people's hard work and not giving them their due for it. 

Argue the semantics of it all you want: It's thievery, it's wrong, and your ISP should drop you for it. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

SvennoJ said:

New question. Is it piracy to copy nfc codes?

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-08-18-unauthorised-amiibo-device-tricks-wii-u-with-data-for-any-figurine

Amiibo owners will soon be able to back up their figurine's data via an unofficial device, the amiiqo.

This feature is useful as each figure is only able to write data for one game at a time (although the toys can be identified by any number of games that just require read-only access).

That's the 'official' use for the amiiqo, but the peripheral also has another function - it can download figure data from others via the internet.

Is this stealing DLC like a DLC code generator?

I'm going to say yes, but it's also justified. Nintendo has released low numbers if certain Amiibo, making it impossible to use them all. Personally, if you buy whatever Amiibos you can find and use this for the ones you can't, this would be justified piracy at Nintendo's own fault. 

Watch me stream games and hunt trophies on my Twitch channel!

Check out my Twitch Channel!:

www.twitch.tv/AzurenGames

Around the Network
SvennoJ said:

No, the download is not an authorized copy.

(11) the making imperceptible, by or at the direction of a member of a private household, of limited portions of audio or video content of a motion picture, during a performance in or transmitted to that household for private home viewing, from an authorized copy of the motion picture, or the creation or provision of a computer program or other technology that enables such making imperceptible and that is designed and marketed to be used, at the direction of a member of a private household, for such making imperceptible, if no fixed copy of the altered version of the motion picture is created by such computer program or other technology.

You are allowed to make copy for yourself from Netflix, yet why bother. I use ps3youtube to predownload content since my internet isn't always stable. Which is fine except that a lot of content on you tube are not authorized copies. Yet as you said, it's often the only way to get certain old content or certain anime movies. And some might be available but locked in a different region code, if not long gone out of print.

The movie industry went the right way by providing digital copies for travel with most blu-ray releases. Yet why do they still stick to region codes? It doesn't make sense. As for tv shows, I'll stick to Netflix. I don't have time to watch that much anyway.
I watched Breaking bad partly on Netflix to catch up and the rest recorded from TV. $200 for the blu-ray version is just too much (it's $160 now still way too much), yet they could have made some money off me at a reasonable price. I stopped buying series after Battlestar Galactica started selling half seasons...

I am not sure if the digital ones work the same way in all countries. The ones here (mind you i only tried one movie) Ultral violet digital or whttever they called it.

On an apple device it was great cause u could add it to itunes, but I could not do it to my android device. I had to login to a wesbte to stream it. I may dig up a newer BLuRay to see how the digital version works on that, would be good if it can finally be synced with an android phone.

The funny thing is with tV shows one Aussie show I had to buy from the netherlands on ebay I think haha. Published to dvd there but not here, all the credits were non english but at least the audio still was in english haha.

Came here expecting at least a half decent case for piracy like piracy can give smaller games/developers more exposure etc. Get access to games/music/movies that aren't available at retail anymore.

Instead I got "because they already earn millions". That reason is stupid at best. And it is stealing, you are duplicating a software to avoid handing over money for it. It's stealing. We are under the false impression that because there is no physical product, it doesn't matter even though just as money goes into it as making a physical product.

ps3-sales! said:
TheGoldenBoy said:
It's stealing.

I don't believe I need to explain to you why stealing is wrong.

You are the reason why the 1% laughs at people. 

If you want to fork over $15 for that new music album or movie to makes millionaires  more millions, have fun.

You know that most people who work on an album, or video game.. dont make millions..  right?  Thosuands to hundreds of people work to get that product on the market. You aren't just STEALING from millionaires. ..  You are also stealing from people who make 30k, 50k, 75k a year..    Are you ok with that?

No different then walking into a store and stealing.. which would get you arrested..     Yes.. BIG companies make those products.. but also people who make less then $10 an hour work to make, and sell them also..  

If you are ok with this.. well then..   that is you..  don't question people who have MORALS and understand STEALING is wrong.. and illegal. 

XBLive: cpg716     PSN ID: cpg716  Steam: Luv4Tech77

Predictions on 12/01/15 - Generation 8 Totals:

PS4: 85-95m
X1: 55-65m
WiiU: 20-30m

Nautilus said:
It dosent matter if the product you are pirating are rich and mighty, its still aganst the law.Just because it wont impact them personally dosent make it more right.
Dont get me wrong, I emulate games and download some musics.I personally think it should be allowed to emulate games that are at least 2 or 3 generations older, for 2 reasons:Its good for the companies, because it gives them more visibility for long running franchises.The more people that play these games, more popúlar they become.And second because wether you like it or not, videogame is a legacy of mankind, and like all artforms, it should be preserved.And so far, emulating/pirating games are the best way, wether because companies wont give a way to you experience old games, or just because some games are really obscure.
But i personally find your way of thinking wrong.

You can't emulate games or download music and then say pirating mainstream games is wrong. You basically excuse any pirating that you do and say everyone else is wrong for pirating.

I pirate games but only to try them out and if I like that game after and hour or two I stop playing and go buy it.

OdinHades said:
Dusk said:

you are using something that doesn't belong to you. Whether making a new copy or not doesn't mean it isn't theft.

piracy is the use of something copy written without permission. In other words, stealing.

You just copied my text in that quote! Is that theft?

if I were to take it, say it's mine and not give you credit, then yes.

have you really not been taught about copyrights and theft in school?

Gotta figure out how to set these up lol.